BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,111
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 83 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe someone can explain this to me. If you are playing a team that has one or two options on offense, why doesn't a team put a defensive stopper on the girl to negate this girls scoring? Our basketball team does this against other teams and it does have success. Make the girl give up the ball. If you don't have a defensive stopper, double team whenever possible

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote] 1-He is an official publishing his bias publicly. Therefor opens himself up for scrutiny personally. Would have not commented if he was just another anonymous pot stirrer.

2-His post was not censored.

3-Other posts calling organizations "thugs" is not even close to the same thing and they are not censored either. Not sure why you chose that word.

4-I am far from naive and the bias officials have will be dealt with on a case by case basis and will not get swept under the rug as in the past. They are charged with calling games fairly not based on a preconceived bias. Obviously.

5-I'm not sure why you would have an issue with an official publicly voicing a bias and getting called out on it. You should be more disturbed with his comments. [/quote]

What exactly are you calling a bias? That they play dirty or that they are not that good? It seems to me that the official's observations would be very reasonable especially insofar as they relate to dirty play.

Bias:

1. a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned:

2.unreasonably hostile feelings or opinions about a social group; prejudice:

User
User
Listen. Your obviously not getting it. If you think an individual can fairly officiate a game after publicly posting that a specific team is horrible and plays dirty then you my friend are naive.
I'll take this issue with this particular individual from here.

Thanks for your input.

Back of the Cage
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
That is exactly what other teams do. Teams that have only one or two offensive options usually don't do well because of that strategy. Those two girls may still get their points but the teams don't normally do well. Take a look at WB. That proves my point.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
Listen. Your obviously not getting it. If you think an individual can fairly officiate a game after publicly posting that a specific team is horrible and plays dirty then you my friend are naive.

Thanks for your input.

Watch out, it's Hip Hop's point of view or you're wrong (and probably about to be the target of an ad hominem attack). The poster said:

"They are not that good. They play dirty. No need to name call. They will make playoffs and lose in the first round."

You're the only one who knows what other statements the anonymous official posted, so maybe he used the word "horrible" in another post but not the one you targeted. I don't know anything about SWR, but on it's face this very well could have been a reasoned opinion and, as such, not biased.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
User
User
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Thanks for your input.

Watch out, it's Hip Hop's point of view or you're wrong (and probably about to be the target of an ad hominem attack). The poster said:

"They are not that good. They play dirty. No need to name call. They will make playoffs and lose in the first round."

You're the only one who knows what other statements the anonymous official posted, so maybe he used the word "horrible" in another post but not the one you targeted. I don't know anything about SWR, but on it's face this very well could have been a reasoned opinion and, as such, not biased.

Again if you think an official who posts those words doesn't make them biased I'll refer you to the definition previously posted.

Gotta love the anonymous poster chiming in with comments like they know the score. The offending poster is being dealt with and has not responded publicly because he understands his comment was wrong.

The above reference by anonymous is incomplete and does not include some comments. We track the posts from each user so don't worry about us properly handling inappropriate comments from officials and coaches.

I'm amazed someone is defending an official who published those comments. I will take action each and every time in these instances.

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for your input.

Again if you think an official who posts those words doesn't make them biased I'll refer you to the definition previously posted.

Gotta love the anonymous poster chiming in with comments like they know the score. The offending poster is being dealt with and has not responded publicly because he understands his comment was wrong.

The above reference by anonymous is incomplete and does not include some comments. We track the posts from each user so don't worry about us properly handling inappropriate comments from officials and coaches.

I'm amazed someone is defending an official who published those comments. I will take action each and every time in these instances.

No need to refer me to the definition, I actually have a grasp on the English language. The operative word is "unreasonably" or "unreasonable".

Personally, I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as you do based solely on the post that you called out. As I said, you have more information than anyone in the audience about who posts what, so maybe the poster's body of work has you reading in between the lines. Or maybe the full post was truncated, but what was posted could easily be interpreted as a "reasonable" opinion based on an unbiased observation.

Is it the fact that the official has the opinion itself or that he published the opinion that makes him (or her) biased? Couldn't a completely unbiased official form the opinion that a team isn't that good after officiating a couple of games? Or that the team plays dirty? I think that an official would be well-suited to form a reasonable opinion on either topic. Or is just the statement of those beliefs in a semi-public forum makes the official biased?

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Maybe Bald Bear can comment?

It is a varied combination of factors, from my experience. There is a direct correlation to academic work and playing time; when playing time is reduced and work load increases there is a tendency to leave a team. Also studying abroad coupled with an internship, which occurs during junior year, is factor.

There are a lot of programs, particularly new D1 programs, that are recruiting a lot of girls. That makes for a lot of players on the sidelines.

Another factor is just growing up. Sorry parents but be aware--social activities, romance, freedom--whatever you want to call it, is going to be a factor.

User
User

Thanks for your input.

No need to refer me to the definition, I actually have a grasp on the English language. The operative word is "unreasonably" or "unreasonable".

Personally, I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as you do based solely on the post that you called out. As I said, you have more information than anyone in the audience about who posts what, so maybe the poster's body of work has you reading in between the lines. Or maybe the full post was truncated, but what was posted could easily be interpreted as a "reasonable" opinion based on an unbiased observation.

Is it the fact that the official has the opinion itself or that he published the opinion that makes him (or her) biased? Couldn't a completely unbiased official form the opinion that a team isn't that good after officiating a couple of games? Or that the team plays dirty? I think that an official would be well-suited to form a reasonable opinion on either topic. Or is just the statement of those beliefs in a semi-public forum makes the official biased?

Feel free to register and message me to discuss more. I appreciate your input and look forward to discussing this further. In closing this topic I will speak to your question by saying it is wrong for an official to publicly classify a team as dirty. Along with the title of official comes responsibility and that type of comment along with others made by that poster are irresponsible for an official to make.

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about having a fantastic college experience overall...from what i see, there are many very young, immature girls with no clue what they really want to study committing to colleges with academic standards that are not always reachable. Couple that with delusional parents....its a sad result.

Originally Posted by baldbear

It is a varied combination of factors, from my experience. There is a direct correlation to academic work and playing time; when playing time is reduced and work load increases there is a tendency to leave a team. Also studying abroad coupled with an internship, which occurs during junior year, is factor.

There are a lot of programs, particularly new D1 programs, that are recruiting a lot of girls. That makes for a lot of players on the sidelines.

Another factor is just growing up. Sorry parents but be aware--social activities, romance, freedom--whatever you want to call it, is going to be a factor.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A Ref is still a human being and has personal beliefs and opinions. Why is this refs opinion on this team deemed wrong by Hop but not the ref that has a bias FOR a team. We have all seen the the ref that will let a highly touted team swing wildly over girls heads and not be called. Why is that better? Is it because they didn't state there opinion publicly? It's common knowledge that the head of the Nassau refs dislikes the top team in the county, is that acceptance based on not posting his opinion on this site? Why not take actions against him Hop?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about having a fantastic college experience overall...from what i see, there are many very young, immature girls with no clue what they really want to study committing to colleges with academic standards that are not always reachable. Couple that with delusional parents....its a sad result.

Originally Posted by baldbear

Kids changing their majors just to play on some D1 teams is insane. They do bring in a ton of girls each year and only the best of the best are getting meaningful minutes. So you committed to a school and changed your major just to play and now the program owns you and now you aren't getting on the field in JR and SR year so they quit and focus on a major they don't really like or won't be able to use. Ever notice how most D1 rosters don't list majors but D3's do? Big difference between women's studies, communications and engineering

User
User
A Ref is still a human being and has personal beliefs and opinions. Why is this refs opinion on this team deemed wrong by Hop but not the ref that has a bias FOR a team. We have all seen the the ref that will let a highly touted team swing wildly over girls heads and not be called. Why is that better? Is it because they didn't state there opinion publicly? It's common knowledge that the head of the Nassau refs dislikes the top team in the county, is that acceptance based on not posting his opinion on this site? Why not take actions against him Hop?

Really??
I have made my point quite clearly. I'm a moderator on this site that's why this ref was called out for his comments.

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's up with Farmingdale this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's up with Farmingdale this year?

Tracy still there? Cant the YJ's make everyone good every year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously East Islip, that's just poor sportsmanship , your AD should be embarrassed by what goes on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously East Islip, that's just poor sportsmanship , your AD should be embarrassed by what goes on.

it's been beat to death already... 12G and 2A is a good day (right mom and dad)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What happened

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Steve Levy, the father of the "leading scorer" is the head coach. 12 goals with 2 assists - come on. So ridiculous that you would let your own kid run up the score like this. Same thing is West babylon - 3 girls accounted for 22 points in total on 17 goals.

Great players make their teammates better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Steve Levy, the father of the "leading scorer" is the head coach. 12 goals with 2 assists - come on. So ridiculous that you would let your own kid run up the score like this. Same thing is West babylon - 3 girls accounted for 22 points in total on 17 goals.

You're the same person who is defending Courtney Fortunato and the other yellowjacket kids when they were doing the same thing. This is an obvious yellow jacket versus Top Guns post. YJ kids have been doing it since the beginning of time because when it comes to all American voting they look at those stats. You need to do better than to single out Topgun kids and shed some light on all of the yellowjacket kids that are doing it this season. You will quickly find it's probably 10 to 1 the amount of yellowjacket kids that are doing it and by the way I understand why they are. It's the system you should have a problem with and the all American standards that are in place and stop singling out the individual kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
at all divisions mens and womens kids change majors to continue playing. many kids enroll in athletic training and pre physical therapy programs as well as engineering. those are impossible for athletes. practice for teams is in the afternoon. can't be at lax practice and also working for another team as a student trainer. can't be in engineer or pre med labs in the afternoon when you have practice. plain and simple. yes many never play 4 years because playing is a full time job and working is not as much fun as playing because you love it. When not a star or regularly seeing the field the 6am runs and 2 workouts a day aren't so enjoyable.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Great players make their teammates better" NOT in our town. It's all about the travel girls, their commitments and their points.

The rest are there to watch and hope they can win a turnover because no one shares the ball.

YES they are the best players but when we are up big how about passing?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kudos to Harborfields who has 17 different players listed in newsday that touched to ball ( in addition to the never mentioned defense) in my opinion that is great coaching.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kudos to Harborfields who has 17 different players listed in newsday that touched to ball ( in addition to the never mentioned defense) in my opinion that is great coaching.

Babylon also obviously pulls it back a little when teams are overmatched. To the fool trying to make it a YJ , TG thing , you are wrong. A ball hog stat padding player and coach is poor sportsmanship no matter what club. The fact that her daddy encourages this in blowout games is gross , thank goodness my kid plays for a coach who doesn't allow such nonsense . Hopefully the All american evaluators look at the things that make a player great and not the things that make a player a ball hog.Hopefully they look for attack players that can actually use both hands, make a pass and ride .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You obviously were not at game. That same kid kid should have had 5 more assists also... She has to make plays.... Some teams are deeper with loads of talent and scorers

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess the family needed to take it out on someone after getting whooped by the YJ coached MS team by the same score last time out. (not that it is a YJ/TG issue but it is ironic)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excuses excuses. Here is my beef, our towns program is in shambles yet whether our varsity wins by 10 or lose by 10 the same 3 or 4 girls get 95% of the points. Coincidence that they all play travel? No one else on the roster is worthy of receiving a pass?

This early commitment, 7th grade call up, Newsday stat leader crap is ruining this game!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You obviously were not at game. That same kid kid should have had 5 more assists also... She has to make plays.... Some teams are deeper with loads of talent and scorers

Amazing you try to justify someone being a ball hog and padding stats in blowout games by saying the stat padding should have been worse but her teamates suck. How about taking the kid out of the game instead of taking kids out of the game because they don't only pass the ball to the coaches daughter.No way to justify those numbers in such a lopsided game , if there are any All American evaluators that read this thread hopefully they realize this nonsense needs to end

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

It's not about how deep teams are. When you get up by that much, when is enough enough? No reason for the EI girl or WB girl to play the entire game. Both have nothing to gain by staying in. Let some of the younger girls get some time. Both teams are very young and could use all the work they can get. When one of these girls gets hurt when they shouldn't be on the field, the coach will have to answer for that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Gotogoal

It's not about how deep teams are. When you get up by that much, when is enough enough? No reason for the EI girl or WB girl to play the entire game. Both have nothing to gain by staying in. Let some of the younger girls get some time. Both teams are very young and could use all the work they can get. When one of these girls gets hurt when they shouldn't be on the field, the coach will have to answer for that.

You sound jealous that you can't live through your child like other mommies and daddies can. Sound Sarcastic maybe?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats to 'set for beating the #2 team in the country today. Seems like it's 'set , then everyone els in N.Y.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

You sound jealous that you can't live through your child like other mommies and daddies can. Sound Sarcastic maybe?

Not jealous at all. I have watched both players and I think they are very good. This is about showing some respect for the opposing teams. Also, this is the perfect opportunity to have younger girls get some experience in games. Coaches have to look to the future after these star players are gone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not familiar with Nassau lax so what club do the 'set' girls play travel for?

Also, for the poster who takes issue with travel girls getting all the touches in school lax. I would imagine that is going to be the case with most teams on LI since the travel girls play more and should be better. My daughter is on one of the smaller Class B teams and every girl with the exception of one who plays school also plays travel and for the life of us, we have no idea why this girl who only plays school is on the field based on her skill level. It is the exception that you can have a girl that doesn't play travel who deserves to be on the field. I know a poster brought up that lax is an affluent sport so you might see this travel non travel dilemma come up, but it doesn't show in my district or in many of the teams in class B and C

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems that many Manhasset girls play for Liberty... impressive college commitments listed on the Liberty Website: Ivy league and top D1 programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems that many Manhasset girls play for Liberty... impressive college commitments listed on the Liberty Website: Ivy league and top D1 programs.

I would imagine that many "Non lacrosse / Liberty" Manhasset girls have impressive college commits.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the answer, I guess I havn't run into the Liberty much (maybe in VA and at one of the NJ tourneys) so I forgot about them but they are located in NW Nassau so that makes sense. As for them getting Ivy league and D1 commits, I sure that goes back to my comment about affluance and you can also throw in that there are some strong academic School Districts in that area and that having strong academics and being good at lax would give you something to catch the Ivy's attention; plus it helps to be able to pay for school since Ivy's don't give athletic money

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess the family needed to take it out on someone after getting whooped by the YJ coached MS team by the same score last time out. (not that it is a YJ/TG issue but it is ironic)

way to show your ignorance....no TG relationship there

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amazing you try to justify someone being a ball hog and padding stats in blowout games by saying the stat padding should have been worse but her teamates suck. How about taking the kid out of the game instead of taking kids out of the game because they don't only pass the ball to the coaches daughter.No way to justify those numbers in such a lopsided game , if there are any All American evaluators that read this thread hopefully they realize this nonsense needs to end

why would an AA eval read your lack of knowledge

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not jealous at all. I have watched both players and I think they are very good. This is about showing some respect for the opposing teams. Also, this is the perfect opportunity to have younger girls get some experience in games. Coaches have to look to the future after these star players are gone.

and you know about coaching? where does your expertise come from?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

way to show your ignorance....no TG relationship there

Didn't father coach for TG before leaving to start a new girls program at legacy and didn't daughter play for TG; not that it matters! What does matter is 12 goals and 2 assists...ya gotta pull in the reigns once in a while!
This is another argument for a power conference although based on last season, EI would probably not have been in the power conference

Page 57 of 83 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard