BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 83 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took a coaching clinic years too late but the one thing I remember them saying is that you ever said "get the ball to ______ and then say everyone else clear out" that you were taking the easy way out of coaching youth lacrosse. Too many youth, travel and HS teams run the iso play with the best girl on the team. Unfortunetly with every iso play everyone else on the field falls further and further behind with less and less touches until they quit

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
who reports the box scores to Newsday,the padding of goalie stats is out of hand. What do they do count missed shots as saves?

Unfortunately Stats are usually kept by High School Girls who really don't know the game. Also I think the responsibility to
report and stats goes to the Home team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who reports the box scores to Newsday,the padding of goalie stats is out of hand. What do they do count missed shots as saves?

In my town the booster club pays someone to keep the stats. As far as goalie saves: For a goalie to be credited with a save , the ball must either touch her stick, her body, or the post. Wide shots are not goalie saves, but they are shots on goal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In my town the booster club pays someone to keep the stats. As far as goalie saves: For a goalie to be credited with a save , the ball must either touch her stick, her body, or the post. Wide shots are not goalie saves, but they are shots on goal.

Wide shots are not shots on goal, they are shots taken, or attempted, but not on goal

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wide shots are not shots on goal, they are shots taken, or attempted, but not on goal

I quoted that straight from my Bryne Womens Scorebook

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NCAA rules CLEARLY state that a shot that hits the pipe is NOT recorded as a save

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My book must be older than I thought! here is what US Lacrosse has for what a shot is.
A shot may have several outcomes: a goal, a save, a shot that sails wide of the goal or hits a pipe, or is blocked by a defender’s stick. If not a goal or a save, then the subsequent loose ball may be recorded as a GB if possession is gained during live ball play, i.e., a shot that goes out of bounds is not awarded a GB. A shot that hits the pipe is not recorded as a save for the goalie. Both wide and pipe shots are statistically recorded as nothing more than a shot, but it is good information to note that the shot hit the pipe or sailed wide. Note that following a shot, usually one other statistical mark will also be recorded (goal, save, or GB). Remember, a GB will be awarded to any player that gains control of the loose ball while it is in play on the field (live ball play). No player will be awarded a GB statistic for being closest to the point where the ball goes out of play after a shot.
Officially, there is no such thing as a “shot on goal.” All shots are recorded as just that - shots

User
User

This is actually an interesting comment.

Last edited by The Hop; .

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a requirement that the stat book be kept for a certain period of time following a season? At Varsity and JV levels?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Suffolk Division 1 should be a four way race.

The only teams that look to have a chance are Northport, Middle Country, West Islip and Smithtown West. Maybe Smithtown East or HHH can surprise and make a run but thats about it.

Down year for Division 1, no really strong teams.

Division 2 looks to have much stronger teams. Any predictions?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope my town and the booster club reads - Yesterdays games in Nassau had the strong Manhasset team winning 16-5 with 11 goal scorers and their high scorer had 3! Wantagh another top team 14 - 4 over Farmingdale this year had 9 goal scorers. Long Beach who isn't a top team had a layup game winning 17-1 but has 10 different goal scorers. Lots of girls on those sidelines that get to touch the ball and contribute. When you look to Suffolk its a different story with many teams having their top girls score 6, 7, 8+ goals in some blowouts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only teams that look to have a chance are Northport, Middle Country, West Islip and Smithtown West. Maybe Smithtown East or HHH can surprise and make a run but thats about it.

Smithtown East will be right there. Smithtown West lost a tight one vs Northport. Ward Melville on outside looking in.

Still think it will be Middle Country vs West Islip in Finals.

D2 - Huntington, Eastport, Hauppauge (Eastport beat Hauppauge 10-8 last week) and Sayville will beat each other up and make for exciting Semi Finals and Finals.

D3 - BBP and Mt. Sinai with maybe a scare from SWR.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope my town and the booster club reads - Yesterdays games in Nassau had the strong Manhasset team winning 16-5 with 11 goal scorers and their high scorer had 3! Wantagh another top team 14 - 4 over Farmingdale this year had 9 goal scorers. Long Beach who isn't a top team had a layup game winning 17-1 but has 10 different goal scorers. Lots of girls on those sidelines that get to touch the ball and contribute. When you look to Suffolk its a different story with many teams having their top girls score 6, 7, 8+ goals in some blowouts

This is a great point...plus in most of those games you will notice a very lopsided halftime score followed up by a low scoring and very even scoring second half.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Conference "A' in Nassau is even weaker...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smithtown East will be right there. Smithtown West lost a tight one vs Northport. Ward Melville on outside looking in.

Still think it will be Middle Country vs West Islip in Finals.

D2 - Huntington, Eastport, Hauppauge (Eastport beat Hauppauge 10-8 last week) and Sayville will beat each other up and make for exciting Semi Finals and Finals.

D3 - BBP and Mt. Sinai with maybe a scare from SWR.

How many teams in each league make the playoffs?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NCAA rules CLEARLY state that a shot that hits the pipe is NOT recorded as a save

But it is a Goalies best friend

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No dispute there. As a goalie mom, it's MY best friend too (my heart's best friend in really close games!)

But it is a Goalies best friend

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Winning teams report the stats and give game recaps.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's ridiculous that it would say "wide" shot is a shot "on goal". They're complete opposites!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately Stats are usually kept by High School Girls who really don't know the game. Also I think the responsibility to

Winning team reports the stats, and it is both team coaches responsibility to verify the information. This is not always done but should be, especially when students keep the book.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smithtown East??? They lost to SWR who are horrible. Swr is Division 2 small school also. Prob no cuts at tryout. But maybe above poster correct. Div 2 stronger. muB

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Winning team reports the stats, and it is both team coaches responsibility to verify the information. This is not always done but should be, especially when students keep the book.

My kids have been on teams where a parent kept the book. That was a travesty.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know nothing about LI Girls lacrosse if you think the two girls from "the losing team" needed to pad their stats. They are both very accomplished players with the one being a top 5 LI player.

Part of being a top player is helping those around you get better. 7 goals 4 assists and 5 goals 1 assist are impressive numbers. How do their teammates feel? Did they learn anything positive from playing in that game? What message is the coach sending to the rest of the girls on the team? Win at all cost? What are they going to do when these two girls graduate?

Glad my kid is not part of that program!

Glad to see WBab spread the ball around yesterday. Nice job coach! The program will be better off looking to play this way. The other way didn't work when Shannon was there, when Esposito was there or now.

Good luck the rest of the way out!

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Team manager should keep game book

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Easy bro! SWR is not horrible...they beat Rocky Point. Give coaching staff at SWR credit. Smithtown East will get it together.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by GG1 N J18

On HS teams ? No such thing as a manager, assistant coach maybe.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by GG1 N J18

On HS teams ? No such thing as a manager, assistant coach maybe.

I've never seen one on a girls' team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smithtown East??? They lost to SWR who are horrible. Swr is Division 2 small school also. Prob no cuts at tryout. But maybe above poster correct. Div 2 stronger. muB

First off, I am not a SWR parent but my daughters have played various sports, including lax, with SWR girls for a number of years. Second, if you do not know the program, don't make stupid comments. While SWR just missed the playoffs last year, prior to that they lost in the counties, won a LI title and won a state title in 2012 and four other state titles in the 5 years prior. They are also 3-1 this year with their only loss a 2 goal loss to Haup.
Now if you said that Mt Sinai stinks, you might have something! Yes I am kidding so I don't need any MS parents going crazy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Record is deceiving. They have a weak schedule due to poor performance last year. And basically same team minus the all American kid. Added non impact freshman except for yj kid who can be an impact player. And great goalie. But that's not enough. Great program a few years ago. No more. Sad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Record is deceiving. They have a weak schedule due to poor performance last year. And basically same team minus the all American kid. Added non impact freshman except for yj kid who can be an impact player. And great goalie. But that's not enough. Great program a few years ago. No more. Sad

[lacrosse]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two easy games today for Manhasset and CSH. Manhasset has 10 different goal scorers and CSH has the same 4 or 5. Some coaches love having some kids pad stats. Share the ball

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First off, I am not a SWR parent but my daughters have played various sports, including lax, with SWR girls for a number of years. Second, if you do not know the program, don't make stupid comments. While SWR just missed the playoffs last year, prior to that they lost in the counties, won a LI title and won a state title in 2012 and four other state titles in the 5 years prior. They are also 3-1 this year with their only loss a 2 goal loss to Haup.
Now if you said that Mt Sinai stinks, you might have something! Yes I am kidding so I don't need any MS parents going crazy.

They made playoffs last year, lost to Mt Sinai

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[lacrosse]

They are not that good. They play dirty. No need to name call. They will make playoffs and lose in the first round.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two easy games today for Manhasset and CSH. Manhasset has 10 different goal scorers and CSH has the same 4 or 5. Some coaches love having some kids pad stats. Share the ball

Folks, Manhasset is a machine. No one in Nassau/Suffolk can touch them. Looking to see game vs GC.

CSH, not so sure. They had a couple of relatively close games vs opponents I thought they would have blown out. (Plainedge and Massapequa) They play Hauppauge in Suffolk next week. Should be a good test.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure Manhasset has the studs but that's because they play as a team even at the PAL level. They keep kids involved and don't build teams around single players with crazy parents pushing them to pad stats regardless of how it affects the team.

The Newsday stat leaders are rarely on teams that win anything meaningful except getting those players individual end of season awards. But that's all they want, that and to commit in 8th grade!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[lacrosse]

They are not that good. They play dirty. No need to name call. They will make playoffs and lose in the first round.

Jack A--

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[lacrosse]

Jack A--

Thanks for the retort Mr. A

User
User

[lacrosse]

How are you qualified to make this comment??

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure Manhasset has the studs but that's because they play as a team even at the PAL level. They keep kids involved and don't build teams around single players with crazy parents pushing them to pad stats regardless of how it affects the team.

The Newsday stat leaders are rarely on teams that win anything meaningful except getting those players individual end of season awards. But that's all they want, that and to commit in 8th grade!

I agree. Sometimes it feels like if you have not made a verbal by summer of sophomore year you're doomed. Then again I know some verbals that won't be able to get into their choice because of grades. How important are stats in high school? Do college coaches look at them? Do they look at awards? Also when contacting a college do you call coach or assistant coach? Thank you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree. Sometimes it feels like if you have not made a verbal by summer of sophomore year you're doomed. Then again I know some verbals that won't be able to get into their choice because of grades. How important are stats in high school? Do college coaches look at them? Do they look at awards? Also when contacting a college do you call coach or assistant coach? Thank you

DD verbally committed to a top 20 division 1 school and they did not ask any questions about her high school career. They watched her over the summer, she attended their prospect day and that was all they needed. Parents get so crazy about the high schools when coaches are even attending games nor do they talk to high school coaches. They want to see you in the summer, in the fall, by video or on their campus. That is the bottom line. As far as contacting send emails to all coaches/call all coaches. You most likely will not get them directly with first contact but definitely do all.

Page 55 of 83 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard