BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,246
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 43 of 52 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yea. It will cost you another $600. 200 for tryout. 400 for event. One more money grab and there are a ton of them.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by ConnorB
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Re: Great State Showdown

Anyone have insight into this inaugural event????

It is a region specific tryout process and you cannot go and play for another region. All information is on the 3d website.

it appears to be an invite only, you need to reach out to 3d to find out what the process is.

We got an invite, simple process, just email them and they will inform you who to reach out to and what information is needed.

WOW! NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD.

I am glad we have BOTC. I bounce around looking for info, seeking advice and generally, I learn a great deal. I do realize that not all that I written is gospel.

I, too, emailed the contact name on the website inquiring about the tryout process back in February, informing them my son attended Blue Chip. I got back a response which spoke directly to my son. They had looked up his status based on his performance that weekend and told me he was ranked highly however they could not promise anything but he would be considered as the list was being drawn up.

What does this mean? To me, it meant a whole lot of nothing.

To the poster who contacted 3d --- did your club coach write a recommendation for your son?

Thanks for filling me in.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by ConnorB
Re: Great State Showdown

Anyone have insight into this inaugural event????

It is a region specific tryout process and you cannot go and play for another region. All information is on the 3d website.

it appears to be an invite only, you need to reach out to 3d to find out what the process is.

We got an invite, simple process, just email them and they will inform you who to reach out to and what information is needed.

WOW! NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD.

I am glad we have BOTC. I bounce around looking for info, seeking advice and generally, I learn a great deal. I do realize that not all that I written is gospel.

I, too, emailed the contact name on the website inquiring about the tryout process back in February, informing them my son attended Blue Chip. I got back a response which spoke directly to my son. They had looked up his status based on his performance that weekend and told me he was ranked highly however they could not promise anything but he would be considered as the list was being drawn up.

What does this mean? To me, it meant a whole lot of nothing.

To the poster who contacted 3d --- did your club coach write a recommendation for your son?

Thanks for filling me in.

No, they requested the contact information (name, email, &phone) for both the club coach and HS coach, then they notified us a few days later, the person to email the info to @3d is Tim Bigelow (tbigelow). My assumption is that they reach out to them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like yet another well marketed money grab by 3d. The best advice we ever got when it came to summer events is that less is often more. If your son or daughter plays on a solid club team and in events that coaches attend if you can't get "seen" in three to four events than doing another one, especially this late in the summer isn't going to do it. It is hard to say no sometimes, but really one solid showcase and three to four team tournaments is more than enough. It it isn't happening it probably isn't happening for a reason.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FabFrosh or U15 National Championships?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like yet another well marketed money grab by 3d. The best advice we ever got when it came to summer events is that less is often more. If your son or daughter plays on a solid club team and in events that coaches attend if you can't get "seen" in three to four events than doing another one, especially this late in the summer isn't going to do it. It is hard to say no sometimes, but really one solid showcase and three to four team tournaments is more than enough. It it isn't happening it probably isn't happening for a reason.

IMO - this is more for bragging rights to determine which region has the best 2018 lacrosse players, they separate NY into Upstate and Downstate and they state that you can only tryout for the region in which you live. As for the "money grab" comment, what event isn't out for money. This too is a subject that gets beat up over and over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you charge something like $200 for a one-day tryout it is a money grab. If it were really about the experience 3d ought to make it like Blackcard where the cost is virtually nothing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Prep showcase? Any thoughts? Is this a "money grab" event?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Prep showcase? Any thoughts? Is this a "money grab" event?

Very well run. Lots of great coaches. Good facilities. One of the best money grabs around, especially if you live in the NE.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forget reclassifying, with those injuries at such a young age maybe it is time to consider golf. [/quote]

Byron Nelson held back in the 8th grade

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Feel free to lambast me and call us cheaters but I will share my son's story and why HE decided to reclassify. He plays on one of the top club teams was an invite to Jake Reed and other top events, but before last summer had a series of lower body injuries, which despite seeing a ton of experts, did not receive a proper diagnosis. He wound up missing just about all of his 2017 summer and all of this fall.

He wound up having bilateral hip surgery and also missed quite a bit of school this past fall. By missing most of last summer and all of the fall he had pretty much fallen off of the radar, but more importantly he felt that that his academic journey had taken a bit of turn when he was dealing with all of the pre-surgery rehab and then his eventual surgery to repair both of his hips.

If this had been a lacrosse driven decision we wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't be completely honest if I didn't say lacrosse did play some part in it. As a 2017 who missed out on the most important window of the recruiting process many of his options were off of the table, and while he doesn't have visions of playing at Hopkins, or UNC per se, after all of the hard work he wanted as many options as possible on the table.

Because he missed quite a bit of school and felt like he missed a semester he will now also be in a much better academic situation so for us it was the right decision to make.

Fell free to fire away.

You did a very nice job of explaining one of the many possible explanations for re-classifying, you owe no one an explanation nor do you need anyones approval it is pretty simple.......do what you think is best for your kid and everybody else can STFU

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Feel free to lambast me and call us cheaters but I will share my son's story and why HE decided to reclassify. He plays on one of the top club teams was an invite to Jake Reed and other top events, but before last summer had a series of lower body injuries, which despite seeing a ton of experts, did not receive a proper diagnosis. He wound up missing just about all of his 2017 summer and all of this fall.

He wound up having bilateral hip surgery and also missed quite a bit of school this past fall. By missing most of last summer and all of the fall he had pretty much fallen off of the radar, but more importantly he felt that that his academic journey had taken a bit of turn when he was dealing with all of the pre-surgery rehab and then his eventual surgery to repair both of his hips.

If this had been a lacrosse driven decision we wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't be completely honest if I didn't say lacrosse did play some part in it. As a 2017 who missed out on the most important window of the recruiting process many of his options were off of the table, and while he doesn't have visions of playing at Hopkins, or UNC per se, after all of the hard work he wanted as many options as possible on the table.

Because he missed quite a bit of school and felt like he missed a semester he will now also be in a much better academic situation so for us it was the right decision to make.

Fell free to fire away.

You did a very nice job of explaining one of the many possible explanations for re-classifying, you owe no one an explanation nor do you need anyones approval it is pretty simple.......do what you think is best for your kid and everybody else can STFU

Last edited by The Hop; .
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wrong! Everyone else doesn't have to "STFU" about re-classified kids. Your bigger kid is out there against other smaller, age-appropriate kids and could injure them. It is a contact sport. This is particularly true in the MS years when a one year age difference means a lot. The decision is not unique to the kid and his family.....it impacts others who don't have to STFU.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassifying and being bigger don't always go hand in hand. I know a number of age appropriate 2019s who have mustaches while my reclassified 2018 still has a squeaky voice. Bottom line is reclassifying is within the letter of the law so, you're right, you don't have to STFU, but not sure you are accomplishing much.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, what would you do? u15 National Championships or Fab Frosh?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you reclassified you wont be able to do u15!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just go to Chaminade camp. the sidelines are jammed with college recruiters.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually you would, generally an 8th grader is the 14 part of 15U, so a kid held back would still qualify for 15U and to answer your question before it gets asked, my kids were not held back, I can just add and stopped Raging Against The Machine a few years ago, it's not going away.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just go to Chaminade camp. the sidelines are jammed with college recruiters.

Yeah, but that is 17U

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually you would, generally an 8th grader is the 14 part of 15U, so a kid held back would still qualify for 15U and to answer your question before it gets asked, my kids were not held back, I can just add and stopped Raging Against The Machine a few years ago, it's not going away.

A 9th grader would be the 14 part of U15

I use old math.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2018 JP Lannig puts in 3 for Syosset today in win over CSH

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use old math.

You must, because generally the older 13U kids are in 7th grade, the younger 15U kids are in 8th grade, the older 15U kids are in 9th grade unless they are held back.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use old math.

You must, because generally the older 13U kids are in 7th grade, the younger 15U kids are in 8th grade, the older 15U kids are in 9th grade unless they are held back.

You're both right. U-15 cut off I believe is 8/31/99. This would mean any legit age 2018/current 9th grader should be eligible to play. In the case of the out of state teams from MD, PA, NJ and Mass, they would have extreme difficulty with the birth certificate rule. Hence, you will see this year some 2019 teams there, just like last year. Most of their 2018 players are too OLD. In the case of 3d, they needed kids from 8 states to win it last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use old math.

You're both right. U-15 cut off I believe is 8/31/99. This would mean any legit age 2018/current 9th grader should be eligible to play. In the case of the out of state teams from MD, PA, NJ and Mass, they would have extreme difficulty with the birth certificate rule. Hence, you will see this year some 2019 teams there, just like last year. Most of their 2018 players are too OLD. In the case of 3d, they needed kids from 8 states to win it last year.

Why must we always got to that 'age' place when a simple question, U15 National Championships is run by USLacrosse and does verify, based on Lax#, that each player is age appropriate.
I'm not sure which is better, the tourney is a lot of great play (some coaches there last year but not as many as you would expect) but the Fab Frosh will have a slew of coaches on the sidelines.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use old math.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, we are not both right. I am right. It is simple math.
13U is 7th grade
14U is 8th grade
15U is 9th grade
Plain and simple, it doesn't need your tired overdrawn spin on it. 15U is 15U regardless of grade, a freshman is a freshman regardless of age. People hold their kids back right or wrong, have been doing it for years. Adapt and adjust and move on, being an anonymous keyboard cowboy isn't going to change anything

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A true 9th grader would be eligible. Many of these teams will not be able to bring their old, or reclassed 9th graders.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

BLAH BLAH BLAH, we are not both right. I am right. It is simple math.
13U is 7th grade
14U is 8th grade
15U is 9th grade
Plain and simple, it doesn't need your tired overdrawn spin on it. 15U is 15U regardless of grade, a freshman is a freshman regardless of age. People hold their kids back right or wrong, have been doing it for years. Adapt and adjust and move on, being an anonymous keyboard cowboy isn't going to change anything [/quote]

This statement is, by definition and interpretation, completely wrong. 13U, 14U and 15U are based solely on player ages. What grade they happen to be in is insignificant.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A true 9th grader would be eligible. Many of these teams will not be able to bring their old, or reclassed 9th graders.

Direct for USLacrosse website:

U15:
All players must be 14 years old or younger on the August 31st preceding competition. It is recommended that when multiple teams exist within a program, the program should consider physical size, skill, and maturity when organizing teams.

NOTE: Age group references used in this section are in common usage but should not be understood literally. The U15 (read: “Under 15”) grouping means that, if a player is 14 years old on the cutoff date, he may participate in U15 competition as a 15-year old.

... so now we know, can we stop and get back to 2018 lacrosse related questions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wait...one more question. is it cheating if you hoild back kid a year so he has an advantage in his grade? thanks...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wait...one more question. is it cheating if you hoild back kid a year so he has an advantage in his grade? thanks...

Go and stick a red hot poker where the sun don't shine.. (love these old phrases)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is all about lacrosse. Don't muddy the waters with education talk!!
(but when I moved my 7th grader to 5th grade, straight to the honor roll!!)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for info:

Did anyone apply to the Nationals Team which as sponsored be Marverik/Lax Unlimited?

A mass email went out back in December looking to field teams 2019-2016 for VA, MD and Nationals. Tryout dates were TBD.

If you did fill out the application (as I did for my son) did anyone get a response after submitting an application???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this Syosset's JV team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1 - NH Tomahawks
2 - Extreme
3 - Crabs
4 - Terps
5 - Dukes
6 - WCS
7 - Express No.
8 - Madlax
9 - 91 orange
10 - VLC

2018 FCA Baltimore will have a good laugh at your list.

I do believe they traded wins with Crabs and 91 last year...they are a top 5 team no doubt

FCA Blue beat 91 in the Summer and lost to them at Hopkins this Fall - they are a great team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hasn't this topic (re-classing) been beaten to death?

It has been beaten to death, but every dad with an 'age appropriate 9th grader' is going to have to deal with it for lacrosse, the way things are set up. My son goes to a private school, has an early 2000 birthdate, and is the youngest kid on the team. The dads I have spoken to have great reasons for the hold back/reclassification, and I'm not judging them. I do, however, think about it in terms of what it means for my son. Athletic age eligibility in the ISL - a New England prep school league - is 20 years old. My son just turned 15 and his team plays ISL teams with kids who are 20 years old. Am I thinking about whether that makes sense for my son, whether it's fair or even safe, and what I'm going to do about it so that he can have a great high school athletic experience/opportunity? You bet I am. I don't know the answer here, but I am watching an avalanche of dads in my area reclassify their sons right now, so that their boys aren't the youngest boys in the classroom or on the playing field. They have done what they think is right, but by so many of them doing this up and down the eastern seaboard, they have made things much more difficult for the rest of us, as boys with 2000 birth years are turning into very young 9th grade players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just watched the best 2018 talent around. That Chaminade team is outstanding. I say that objectively as a Friar dad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any comments on Adreneline Black Card or the NSCLA Select Showcase? For 2108 players?

Thank You

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just watched the best 2018 talent around. That Chaminade team is outstanding. I say that objectively as a Friar dad.

Well if the Friars could hold the ball, get ground balls, catch and throw, it would have been a much better game. They did well the first half, the second half, they were just overwhelmed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this JV or Varsity?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this JV or Varsity?

The freshman teams played each other yesterday. Chaminade won 12-2.

Page 43 of 52 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard