BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,912
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 25 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 24 25
Re: Age Verification
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Canadian families just want their kids to have an opportunity to go to college in the US. It is a country where less than 1/5th of adults have a college education and Canada has only three cities which could reasonably be classified as white collar higher income job markets. For the most part Canada is still an agrarian economy and families what better. I do concur with the moderator and other posters that the cheap vehicle into US colleges to play kids down is the opposite of every Canadian "farm tough" well and hard earned stereotype I knew of growing up. Anyone think Gordie Howe, Bobby Clark or Mark Messier would have played down to compete? They'd play up and punch you in the face before the face-off just to let you know they were coming and wouldn't quit. Now, we've all moved on from punching being ok in sports, but really what Canadians now do in lacrosse is about as bold as starting a men's figure skating program to pull hockey players away in the fields of Manitoba.

And thanks for the comments directed at Maryland or other US area parents. As a parent of three proper school year aged kids and a proponent of age based club teams, I applaud the bashing of our peer group around here. It is abysmal that the American way in lacrosse is playing down to avoid the confrontation of real and fair sports competition at all costs. It is something we all need to fix.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by The Hop
Thank you for the constant jabs aimed at Long Island on the different threads. As a Director of US Lacrosse I have been motivated to address the issue of age classification and the amount of Canadian club players who knowingly play down in spite of regulations prohibiting such inclusion. I will keep you informed as we work to remedy this issue....bonjour Quebec

Thank you for your jab at our Bilingual and inclusive country. As a Director of Canadian Lacrosse I have now been motivated to again point out to you that reclassification started in NE and Maryland and perfected by 3d based in Colorado. Thank you for again showing your US bias and exceptionally low lack of awareness. USA USA USA

Edge lacrosse doesn't have reclassed players, they just register teams in younger divisions for an advantage. That is blatant cheating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
Thank you for the constant jabs aimed at Long Island on the different threads. As a Director of US Lacrosse I have been motivated to address the issue of age classification and the amount of Canadian club players who knowingly play down in spite of regulations prohibiting such inclusion. I will keep you informed as we work to remedy this issue....bonjour Quebec

Thank you for your jab at our Bilingual and inclusive country. As a Director of Canadian Lacrosse I have now been motivated to again point out to you that reclassification started in NE and Maryland and perfected by 3d based in Colorado. Thank you for again showing your US bias and exceptionally low lack of awareness. USA USA USA

Edge lacrosse doesn't have reclassed players, they just register teams in younger divisions for an advantage. That is blatant cheating.

Yes. The 2018s are after that t shirt and trophy. Pretty sure they get enough of those at box tournaments. They are after the college spit plain and simple and have chosen to meet New England and Maryland in their terms.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Canadian families just want their kids to have an opportunity to go to college in the US. It is a country where less than 1/5th of adults have a college education and Canada has only three cities which could reasonably be classified as white collar higher income job markets. For the most part Canada is still an agrarian economy and families what better. I do concur with the moderator and other posters that the cheap vehicle into US colleges to play kids down is the opposite of every Canadian "farm tough" well and hard earned stereotype I knew of growing up. Anyone think Gordie Howe, Bobby Clark or Mark Messier would have played down to compete? They'd play up and punch you in the face before the face-off just to let you know they were coming and wouldn't quit. Now, we've all moved on from punching being ok in sports, but really what Canadians now do in lacrosse is about as bold as starting a men's figure skating program to pull hockey players away in the fields of Manitoba.

And thanks for the comments directed at Maryland or other US area parents. As a parent of three proper school year aged kids and a proponent of age based club teams, I applaud the bashing of our peer group around here. It is abysmal that the American way in lacrosse is playing down to avoid the confrontation of real and fair sports competition at all costs. It is something we all need to fix.

Great post except for the finale. The minority of American clubs and players play down or PG. Therefore it is far from the "American way" as you said.

The vast majority of us play our kids on or above the appropriate age group for reasons that mirror your thoughts exactly.

Thank you for shining some light on how the majority of Canadian parents feel about the issue of playing down. Good day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post except for the finale. The minority of American clubs and players play down or PG. Therefore it is far from the "American way" as you said.

The vast majority of us play our kids on or above the appropriate age group for reasons that mirror your thoughts exactly.

Thank you for shining some light on how the majority of Canadian parents feel about the issue of playing down. Good day. [/quote]

Trying to keep the civility in this commentary, there is an overwhelming majority of Maryland prep school kids who have repeated a middle school year. Quite honestly, it is the reason for the proliferation of private school lacrosse into the newer prep programs and beyond the old guard. It is basically the place to go for families who can afford 5 years of private school tuitions to execute a lacrosse strategy. If you have the money and see it as a path into a college of the kid's choice, you do it. If you believe that there is not an overwhelming majority of hold back kids in the MD / DMV prep school leagues you are not correctly informed.

But to get this argument back on the rails, I think the main point on this board is not on the high school fields but on the youth lacrosse fields. It is horrible that there are grade based teams between 4th and 8th grade now for the more affluent to game the age equity in club lacrosse. Just make it age based. The best players will rise up anyways, and at least it will be fair for all the kids.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you for shining some light on how the majority of Canadian parents feel about the issue of playing down. Good day.

Trying to keep the civility in this commentary, there is an overwhelming majority of Maryland prep school kids who have repeated a middle school year. Quite honestly, it is the reason for the proliferation of private school lacrosse into the newer prep programs and beyond the old guard. It is basically the place to go for families who can afford 5 years of private school tuitions to execute a lacrosse strategy. If you have the money and see it as a path into a college of the kid's choice, you do it. If you believe that there is not an overwhelming majority of hold back kids in the MD / DMV prep school leagues you are not correctly informed.

But to get this argument back on the rails, I think the main point on this board is not on the high school fields but on the youth lacrosse fields. It is horrible that there are grade based teams between 4th and 8th grade now for the more affluent to game the age equity in club lacrosse. Just make it age based. The best players will rise up anyways, and at least it will be fair for all the kids. [/quote]

When you have the head of 3D lacrosse recommending "re-classification: also know as "holding back your completely healthy and well adjusted child for an extra year of schooling to pursue his/her lacrosse career" to all of their students you can see why there is a problem here. It's just plain wrong!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One commentary on 2019 subject states a vast majority of rising freshman at JR will be 15. How is that? Would love to hear the age the LI players who got invited to JR will be. I dont think a vast majority (more like the minority) will be 15. I hope it is under a handful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One commentary on 2019 subject states a vast majority of rising freshman at JR will be 15. How is that? Would love to hear the age the LI players who got invited to JR will be. I dont think a vast majority (more like the minority) will be 15. I hope it is under a handful.

Ages for rising freshman that is. No need to name the name.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent post. The majority of the anger and frustration surrounding the holdback/playing down topic pertains to 8th grade and below. For the simple reason that playing JV or varsity will automatically subject boys to playing older, bigger kids. Everyone knows that and accepts the challenges and risks associated with it. In the absence of a learning disability, holding a kid back or playing kids down a year prior to high school is an indignity to the principles of sportsmanship and fair play. A parent's desire to provide the best opportunities for their son does not absolve them from their responsibilities to the rest of the community.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True 2019 players are 14 or 13, period. My son has a Fall birthday and will turn 14 then. Any 2019 player that is 15 now or turns 15 in the summer was held back in grade school, fact.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent post. The majority of the anger and frustration surrounding the holdback/playing down topic pertains to 8th grade and below. For the simple reason that playing JV or varsity will automatically subject boys to playing older, bigger kids. Everyone knows that and accepts the challenges and risks associated with it. In the absence of a learning disability, holding a kid back or playing kids down a year prior to high school is an indignity to the principles of sportsmanship and fair play. A parent's desire to provide the best opportunities for their son does not absolve them from their responsibilities to the rest of the community.

Then all the hyperbole, bitching and whiny is now a moot point. The 2019s will be rising freshmen this summer and ready to play against JV and Varsity aged players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But to get this argument back on the rails, I think the main point on this board is not on the high school fields but on the youth lacrosse fields. It is horrible that there are grade based teams between 4th and 8th grade now for the more affluent to game the age equity in club lacrosse. Just make it age based. The best players will rise up anyways, and at least it will be fair for all the kids. [/quote]

Very True..YOUTH Club lacrosse in Maryland has been taken over by the influence of all the holdbacks in Maryland and DC/Va private schools. It is a disgusting aspect and does little to promote the game in a good light.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Trying to keep the civility in this commentary, there is an overwhelming majority of Maryland prep school kids who have repeated a middle school year."

overwhelming majority? Let's not get carried away. So much of this is driven by perception and not reality. For instance a Canadian club plays their teams down a year because they perceive that that's what all US teams do. What is true that if you have a summer birthday (Sept 1 is cutoff in MD) and go to a MD private grade school that they'll almost always make the kid do a pre 1st. So maybe a third of the private school grammar kids are held back. But what's the percentage of families that are willing and able to foot $20-30K for grade school even amongst the lax community? For the rest of us public school families (the overwhelming majority) you start your kid in kindergarten if he/she is 5 before 9/1 unless you can show the school system a reason. Yes there are some misguided folks who have their kid repeat a grade in middle school for sports- usually 8th grade. But that's just a handful of kids each year and some private allow that and others don't. My point is not to defend reclassing but lend perspective to the reality. I know this by being involved rec lacrosse in Baltimore for many years. My estimate is that on average you will have around 3-4 kids on a grade based MD team that wouldn't qualify for the equivalent age-based with 9/1 cutoff. And most of those hold back kids are in within 3 months of what the us lax age cutoff would be. So personally I think the single year grade works just as well as 2 year age that had been the norm for so many years. Though I would be in full support of single year age. Not sure that will happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Trying to keep the civility in this commentary, there is an overwhelming majority of Maryland prep school kids who have repeated a middle school year."

overwhelming majority? Let's not get carried away. So much of this is driven by perception and not reality. For instance a Canadian club plays their teams down a year because they perceive that that's what all US teams do. What is true that if you have a summer birthday (Sept 1 is cutoff in MD) and go to a MD private grade school that they'll almost always make the kid do a pre 1st. So maybe a third of the private school grammar kids are held back. But what's the percentage of families that are willing and able to foot $20-30K for grade school even amongst the lax community? For the rest of us public school families (the overwhelming majority) you start your kid in kindergarten if he/she is 5 before 9/1 unless you can show the school system a reason. Yes there are some misguided folks who have their kid repeat a grade in middle school for sports- usually 8th grade. But that's just a handful of kids each year and some private allow that and others don't. My point is not to defend reclassing but lend perspective to the reality. I know this by being involved rec lacrosse in Baltimore for many years. My estimate is that on average you will have around 3-4 kids on a grade based MD team that wouldn't qualify for the equivalent age-based with 9/1 cutoff. And most of those hold back kids are in within 3 months of what the us lax age cutoff would be. So personally I think the single year grade works just as well as 2 year age that had been the norm for so many years. Though I would be in full support of single year age. Not sure that will happen.

I do have personal experience in private school here in Baltimore. My sons class had 50% of the boys held back not 30%, maybe others less. Many weren't summer babies, of course many were. One boy whose father is involved in lacrosse had a fall birthday. Kid was already one of the older children in the proper grade but holding him back made him older by far than most in his grade. This is going to be the first year that ALl club teams are grade base in MD. 4-5 held back kids out there is over half the starters. How is that fair to the proper age children??

A two year age compared to a single grade is the same thing in MD due to holdbacks. If the leagues can do single grade , there is no reason not to do single age..unless the held back kids fathers and their cheerleaders want them to play down and get an advantage. Maryland and the drivers of grade base teams know full well what they are doing and the youth Lacrosse community is worst off for this behavior ,,, all in the name of getting a select few an edge.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is school mates or club teammates with many kids who attend the top two IAC schools and the top two WCAC schools for lacrosse in this MD / DMV area. In this year's senior classes at those schools the percentage of holdback kids is less than 50% at all of them. In the 2017 class, the proliferation of it is jarring. Well over 50% of the kids attending those private schools and are on the lacrosse teams are holdbacks. For the 2018 class the percentage at every one of these schools is over 75%. That is not a huge sample size, but is a very good indicator or how fast the trend of holding kids back for lacrosse has proliferated in the recent 2-3 years. At this point I do not believe it would be too bold to suggest that a normal 14 year old freshman lacrosse player at the top IAC and WCAC schools local here is already an anomaly for all classes 2017 and below and that the viral out is nearly complete. It is almost as if you don't want to bother to be a HS player at the local privates unless you are held back. The real crisis now is how that affects the club and youth leagues below. If we allow the holdback virus to express out, all is lost for 10, 11, 12, etc. year olds to play the game on a level field. We should all be ashamed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does 28% equal less than 1/5 in the United States? 31.96% of Americans have university degrees, so not exactly some great divide. Overall, Canada is more educated with over half the adult population holding tertiary education, only 41.89% in the US. Canada has roughly the same population as California (slightly lower by 3 or 4 million), yet California has almost double the amount of universities. So, California is either incredibly smart or.... it's super easy to get into any university outside the top 20%. I feel safe leaning to the latter and in believing that the incredibly attainable standards of UC-Merced(89% acceptance) and such, help explain the 3.96% difference in degree holders.

I get that you want to make disparaging comments about Canada because you are upset at Edge, but think first. Like granted, you are correct that Canada only has few "white-collared" cities. Too bad you didn't consider the fact that are far less people. California only has a few "white-collared" cities too, so seems about right doesn't it?

As for getting punched in the face, bring your child up to Canada for some box. It's all age-certified so you LI types should feel safe. Munro's kid has done it for years and he's a coward, low life, holdback, right? If your kid actually has the stones to do it, you'll find what you described, no kids playing down and the best kids playing up. Make Crabs and Dukes follow some rules and I'm sure Edge will too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does 28% equal less than 1/5 in the United States? 31.96% of Americans have university degrees, so not exactly some great divide. Overall, Canada is more educated with over half the adult population holding tertiary education, only 41.89% in the US. Canada has roughly the same population as California (slightly lower by 3 or 4 million), yet California has almost double the amount of universities. So, California is either incredibly smart or.... it's super easy to get into any university outside the top 20%. I feel safe leaning to the latter and in believing that the incredibly attainable standards of UC-Merced(89% acceptance) and such, help explain the 3.96% difference in degree holders.

I get that you want to make disparaging comments about Canada because you are upset at Edge, but think first. Like granted, you are correct that Canada only has few "white-collared" cities. Too bad you didn't consider the fact that are far less people. California only has a few "white-collared" cities too, so seems about right doesn't it?

As for getting punched in the face, bring your child up to Canada for some box. It's all age-certified so you LI types should feel safe. Munro's kid has done it for years and he's a coward, low life, holdback, right? If your kid actually has the stones to do it, you'll find what you described, no kids playing down and the best kids playing up. Make Crabs and Dukes follow some rules and I'm sure Edge will too.

Can you imagine the LI dad's in the Bunny Barn in late July? The smell of sweat, drakar and axe body spray would be overwhelming while little Johnny got pounded up and down the floor.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can you imagine the LI dad's in the Bunny Barn in late July? The smell of sweat, drakar and axe body spray would be overwhelming while little Johnny got pounded up and down the floor.
Why so hostile? We understand that you want your kids to come to our country and attend our schools because they are better than what your "country" has to offer. You make it sound as if you are owed the chance to compete with our kids in any manner you deem acceptable, even if it means cheating, which it sounds like this team is doing. But remember your just a guest in our great country, and we are generous enough to offer your kids a chance to attend our great universities. So you don't mind if we ask you foreigners to at least play by the rules? Remember, you are guests in our country and we owe you no opportunity to be here, if you don't like it stay in Canada and play box lacrosse. We have more than enough of our own kids to keep lacrosse extremely competitive without you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, no, no. That's one thing you Canadians don't get to do, and that's get on here and gloat about how tough your box lacrosse is. How Long Island kids would get pounded, if they even had the stones to try it. It's all age certified so the Long Island types should feel safe. You are such morons you don't see the irony of making those "tough guy" statements, yet needing to play your kids down a year when you come south of the border? Do you stop being tough then? There's no shame in a kid not being a standout on the lacrosse field. Kids playing down in order to compete is pathetic. Talking about how tough you are while playing down is deplorable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why can't you guys just be honest. Nobody on this forum was complaining about reclassification, PGs and hold backs until the Canadian team blew up the Express. It was a game. Your team lost badly just as you did to the Crabs, move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only a matter of time before some genius figured it out. You got us! All this vitriol is a result of one boys lacrosse game. Congratulations, I've no doubt you have now officially exceeded all your personal expectations. I'm being very honest!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Why can't you guys just be honest. Nobody on this forum was complaining about reclassification, PGs and hold backs until the Canadian team blew up the Express. It was a game. Your team lost badly just as you did to the Crabs, move on.

It becomes obvious when players who were on a year older team all of the sudden are on a year younger team. When playing age appropriate which is usually up till 8th grade the Long Island teams seem to dominate most not all regions and even Canadian teams. When the PG comes into effect and an 8th grader repeats and now plays on a team a year younger then they win. That's the obvious thing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's time to admit that a certain small percentage of kids will, unfortunately, be reclassified. There will also be some programs who take it to the next step of registering entire teams in younger divisions for an advantage. This needs to be policed by tourney administrators, parents and coaches can do nothing. I am 100% in favor of age based bracketing but those that run lacrosse tournaments need to take action.

I for one will focus on enjoying the amazingly high level of lacrosse played in the Northeast USA and not enjoin these debates about which team is #1...who really cares?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Am I the only one who thinks the average 8th grade boy would go nuts if you told him he had to repeat 8th grade, graduate a year later. Most kid sin HS are counting the days till they are done.
Originally Posted by America's Game

It becomes obvious when players who were on a year older team all of the sudden are on a year younger team. When playing age appropriate which is usually up till 8th grade the Long Island teams seem to dominate most not all regions and even Canadian teams. When the PG comes into effect and an 8th grader repeats and now plays on a team a year younger then they win. That's the obvious thing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Am I the only one who thinks the average 8th grade boy would go nuts if you told him he had to repeat 8th grade, graduate a year later. Most kid sin HS are counting the days till they are done.
Originally Posted by America's Game

They may go nuts, but many are doing it now ...all for our creator

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I disagree there was anger when it was public a Long Island boy did it. When it impacted a high school admission or boys transferring from on catholic to another. 2014/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 all have the issue. Goes down to second grade.

Then a boy got hurt playing against Edge and all crap broke loose. I would not be surprised if it was the parents (or family/friends) of that child alerting people to the fact of playing down. Why because the boy got hurt. Good for them for not letting go of it.

Had nothing to do about a team, someone got hurt and the explanation from The organization was a lie. Then it blew up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Harrison Ford held back in the 8th grade.....17 times

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I disagree there was anger when it was public a Long Island boy did it. When it impacted a high school admission or boys transferring from on catholic to another. 2014/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 all have the issue. Goes down to second grade.

Then a boy got hurt playing against Edge and all crap broke loose. I would not be surprised if it was the parents (or family/friends) of that child alerting people to the fact of playing down. Why because the boy got hurt. Good for them for not letting go of it.

Had nothing to do about a team, someone got hurt and the explanation from The organization was a lie. Then it blew up.

Great point about the kid getting hurt by Edge. That is when I became aware of holdbacks and really took notice when the posts started flying about Edge lacrosse registering their teams against younger competition in tournaments. But, it will take more than a broken arm or leg. Once a 12 or 13 year old receives an injury from an older player that could be deemed more severe than an acute break, the lawsuits will fly and this practice will be ended by tournament directors because their liability insurance will demand strict adherence to age appropriate brackets. Sad but true.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Eh, WRONG! Age verification is a huge issue with youth lax. Notice I said "youth lax", and not high school lax. I have nothing to do with Express, The Edge or Crabs....you don't have to be a genius to know that age verification is a safety issue 1st & foremost.
As for what it means with respect to the standards of fair play and good sportsmanship, we all know where The Edge stands. I think it's fair to say, that's not the standard the rest of the lax community wants to follow.

Until there are specific age cut-off dates, and age verification cards, this will continue to plague the game.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Had nothing to do about a team, someone got hurt and the explanation from The organization was a lie. Then it blew up. [/quote]

Great point about the kid getting hurt by Edge. That is when I became aware of holdbacks and really took notice when the posts started flying about Edge lacrosse registering their teams against younger competition in tournaments. But, it will take more than a broken arm or leg. Once a 12 or 13 year old receives an injury from an older player that could be deemed more severe than an acute break, the lawsuits will fly and this practice will be ended by tournament directors because their liability insurance will demand strict adherence to age appropriate brackets. Sad but true. [/quote]

Quick question: US Lacrosse sanctioned events for youth is aged based, so I assume that events where teams are grade based are privately insured. Am I correct? If so, those policies will get very expensive if there is an expensive claim and if there is precedent for liability. Insurers may also choose to not insure private lacrosse events. That more than anything would blow up the grade based youth team format.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a youth player. Is it a player under a certain age or under a certain grade?

Money always changes things, but I had asked a while ago (may understandably get censored) are there any US Lacrosse brd members (across the country) who have held back players (sons/daughters), as defined as started or will start HS Older than 14.

I am not looking for names just a simple yes or no. This will ultimately show the usefulness of US Lacrosse.

Lets remember US Lacrosse established the 2 year U designation to promote lacrosse and help garner sign ups. The 2 year U designation was not to hold competitive teams to a 2 year standard. It was so rec and town leagues had parameters for teams. These parametrs were 2 years to help enrollment so you had ample quatity of players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a youth player. Is it a player under a certain age or under a certain grade?

Money always changes things, but I had asked a while ago (may understandably get censored) are there any US Lacrosse brd members (across the country) who have held back players (sons/daughters), as defined as started or will start HS Older than 14.

I am not looking for names just a simple yes or no. This will ultimately show the usefulness of US Lacrosse.

Lets remember US Lacrosse established the 2 year U designation to promote lacrosse and help garner sign ups. The 2 year U designation was not to hold competitive teams to a 2 year standard. It was so rec and town leagues had parameters for teams. These parametrs were 2 years to help enrollment so you had ample quatity of players.

A youth player is one who is not yet in High School.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse seems like if needs to take a page from US Soccer.
The structure of local, regional and national leagues as well as age verification and player passes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse seems like if needs to take a page from US Soccer.
The structure of local, regional and national leagues as well as age verification and player passes.

That is a great idea, wonder why no one ever thought of this before

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So a 15 not in HS is a youth? There has to be an age threshold

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So a 15 not in HS is a youth? There has to be an age threshold

Apparently, yes, if the player drives to a game, has a wife and kids but has not hit 9th grade, he is a youth player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After watching the Petro interview on LaxMagazine, one take away I have is if kids weren't able to commit as 8th and 9th graders, and if coaches cooled off on actively recruiting until Sept 1 of junior year, a lot of pressure would come off the "youth" game. With all eggs in the 8th grade basket to get noticed or miss chances at Hopkins and the others, if we can ice the supply side it would help cool the demand side. US Lacrosse has come in with age based best practices. The lacrosse industry just ignored them. This seems to be a unique sport in that nobody in the sport has one iota of respect or reverence from the governing body of the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After watching the Petro interview on LaxMagazine, one take away I have is if kids weren't able to commit as 8th and 9th graders, and if coaches cooled off on actively recruiting until Sept 1 of junior year, a lot of pressure would come off the "youth" game. With all eggs in the 8th grade basket to get noticed or miss chances at Hopkins and the others, if we can ice the supply side it would help cool the demand side. US Lacrosse has come in with age based best practices. The lacrosse industry just ignored them. This seems to be a unique sport in that nobody in the sport has one iota of respect or reverence from the governing body of the sport.

Agree. USL is a joke for not hammering home constantly this point about grade base holdbacks in youth lacrosse .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm a parent of a PA 2019 player fairly new to club lacrosse. We just returned from a trip to Maryland my sons team played against a Long Island Express team, Madlax and another I don't recall. I was shocked by the size and more so the muscle mass of many of the Madlax players. They looked like men playing amongst boys. I assume that is what to expect this summer but I was wondering if this is one of the clubs that plays players in lower age groups? Do the Maryland kids start school a year later? Just curious. My son is large for his age, thank god.

Also I noticed the refs allowed very violent stick checking, is that permitted in Maryland more so than in Pa and NY?

Thanks for any insight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm a parent of a PA 2019 player fairly new to club lacrosse. We just returned from a trip to Maryland my sons team played against a Long Island Express team, Madlax and another I don't recall. I was shocked by the size and more so the muscle mass of many of the Madlax players. They looked like men playing amongst boys. I assume that is what to expect this summer but I was wondering if this is one of the clubs that plays players in lower age groups? Do the Maryland kids start school a year later? Just curious. My son is large for his age, thank god.

Also I noticed the refs allowed very violent stick checking, is that permitted in Maryland more so than in Pa and NY?

Thanks for any insight.

Just have your son and his friends repeat 8th grade and he'll be all set !

Like Reply Quote
Page 20 of 25 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 24 25
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard