BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recruiting stories from the road. Share your experience.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone know how common it is for out of state schools to waive the residency requirement to athletes? This in itself would be like a scholarship of sorts.

Uncommon. That decreased price is due to tax credit for being a resident. T is against the state legislative law to do so.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Does anyone know how common it is for out of state schools to waive the residency requirement to athletes? This in itself would be like a scholarship of sorts.

Uncommon. That decreased price is due to tax credit for being a resident. T is against the state legislative law to do so.

My daugther had an out of state waiver. I think the wording on it was to the effect of "to be awarded to an out of state student who brings something of value to the school." The athletic dept was able to use that to their, and our, advantage. I'm sure all states have different interpretations but that's how it was in FL.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
That's good information from Powder because the difference between in state and out of state is huge.

For the unrecruited juniors is it too late?
Lots of talk about early recruiting nowadays but not too long ago it was junior year when it all happened.

Any thoughts?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To late to play? no. To late to receive any athletic money ( in most cases)? yes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To late to play? no. To late to receive any athletic money ( in most cases)? yes.

Time will determine how accurate is this statement.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laxpower list's 746 junior girls and 664 boys as committed to play in college. if you guesstimate 5-7 athletic scholarships (D-1 and D-2)per team. I'm thinking most offers are out and accepted. I will admit that there always exceptions, ie.. the kid who cant get the right SAT or ACT, injuries over $hit grades..which will opena window for tehe late commit. in 2015 the late Junior or Senior commit is the exception not the rule..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Athletic money reappears when kids decommit. Happens all the time in football and the next kid on the list gets the offer

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's not true. Athletic money, regardless of the amount offered, is offered once a player is a junior and more likely late during Jr year, from hat I have heard. Each school is of course different.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by The Hop
That's good information from Powder because the difference between in state and out of state is huge.

For the unrecruited juniors is it too late?
Lots of talk about early recruiting nowadays but not too long ago it was junior year when it all happened.

Any thoughts?

kind of double edge sword
have to get what you can when its offered
but what you think you may want or where you want to go may be completely different from sophomore and senior year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take UConn $48k out of state $24k in state plus some academic money and its the same price as a SUNY

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
With the news of Sweet Briar closing how many other small schools will follow?
http://www.businessinsider.com/sweet-briar-college-closing-2015-3
Will it hurt the recruiting efforts of other small schools?

Last edited by The Hop; .

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yea now that Sweet Briar is closing it will be a domino effect in the recruiting world! I heard something about it on ESPN this morning!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$50,000 per year, 700 kids in entire school, they take kids with an 800 SAT plus it's all girls.

What part of that model is appealing to anyone?

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Here are some thoughts from a billionaire. I think he knows a little something a about economic trends.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mark...rce=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are some thoughts from a billionaire. I think he knows a little something a about economic trends.

who cares

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yea now that Sweet Briar is closing it will be a domino effect in the recruiting world! I heard something about it on ESPN this morning!

Ohhh no, Duke is next to fall, then Syracuse, then no more lax

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

who cares

Obviously not the cement heads on your clubs summer sideline. Must be your first kid going through the process get back to us when it's your 3rd or 4th. After the 1st, grades and debt become much more important than lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

who cares

Everyone should care. It's our government at work making college unaffordable for so many and putting taxpayer money on the line. No different from the housing crisis. I wonder if greedy university presidents will be to blame this time.

How does this relate to lacrosse? Just look at the time and money so many are spending to try and secure a scholarship to help defray the runaway tuition costs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

who cares

Everyone should care. It's our government at work making college unaffordable for so many and putting taxpayer money on the line. No different from the housing crisis. I wonder if greedy university presidents will be to blame this time.

How does this relate to lacrosse? Just look at the time and money so many are spending to try and secure a scholarship to help defray the runaway tuition costs.

Very MSNBC! Relax and enjoy your kid playing some lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mark Cuban held back in 8th grade

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

who cares

Ahh yes, the intelligence in this forum is overwhelming. Enjoy the lax man.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It gave him a big advantage over the other NBA owners !! If he didn't reclass he might have had to buy the Knicks!

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User

who cares

Ahh yes, the intelligence in this forum is overwhelming. Enjoy the lax man.

Your original post was a good one and the ones who post stupid comments are not paying attention. Let them make them posts and show their stupidity.

The reason this issue is on BOTC and affects our kids is because there are many small private colleges with varsity lacrosse teams. If this trend continues it's a scary situation for all of us. It's worth researching and talking about especially if you have kids in the recruiting years now.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It gave him a big advantage over the other NBA owners !! If he didn't reclass he might have had to buy the Knicks!

Now that's funny!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one of the previous poster was right...this is armageddon for lacrosse. sweet briar gave tons of full rides.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
isn't that where Conrad Birdie visited in Bye Bye Birdie?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one of the previous poster was right...this is armageddon for lacrosse. sweet briar gave tons of full rides.

Obviously not the cement heads on your clubs summer sideline. Must be your first kid going through the process get back to us when it's your 3rd or 4th. After the 1st, grades and debt become much more important than lacrosse

AND you can keep your $7,500 bucks for lacrosse to a $50,000 school!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you can apply for a scholarship from booster club!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously this story is not about Sweet Briar. It's about the collapse of the small college bubble that has started to collapse. Read the article. Maybe you'll understand you moron.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously this story is not about Sweet Briar. It's about the collapse of the small college bubble that has started to collapse. Read the article. Maybe you'll understand you moron.

Thanks for trying to educate everyone on the "youth lacrosse forum" of the economic collapse of our government, small colleges and the country! This info, plus a few more ground balls, and my son's 2026 team should go undefeated this year!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
he's an angry elf!!

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
With lax season here the showcase and summer clinic emails should be coming. Choose wisely.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
As summer approaches the recruiting activity should be on the rise.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More is not always better.

Rest is important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My recruiting experience with my daughter and her club team were excellent. She was given a 1 on 1 meeting with the club's recruiting coordinator, guidance all along the way in the form of emails, phone calls, bus tours, reaching out to coaches for her specifically, etc. The club also had a practice this winter where 15 college coaches just came to watch, I thought that was really awesome. The director and recruiting coordinator were more helpful and kind than I could have ever hoped for, and my daughter ended up finding a school that was the perfect fit for her. Very happy with our experience! The biggest thing we learned was to be proactive and make sure to stay on top of grades - it sounds obvious, but working on the SAT/ACT tests early definitely helped her in the end. The bus tour that our club set up was also key in her recruiting process. She was able to see 15 schools in 3 days, which is unbelievable. At each school the club had something set up with the college coach - a tour, a Q&A session, watching a game or practice..it was an exciting and educational experience. I have a son who is entering his "recruiting summer" and we have not had nearly as much guidance on that end, but hopefully it will turn around once we really start practicing in June.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My recruiting experience with my daughter and her club team were excellent. She was given a 1 on 1 meeting with the club's recruiting coordinator, guidance all along the way in the form of emails, phone calls, bus tours, reaching out to coaches for her specifically, etc. The club also had a practice this winter where 15 college coaches just came to watch, I thought that was really awesome. The director and recruiting coordinator were more helpful and kind than I could have ever hoped for, and my daughter ended up finding a school that was the perfect fit for her. Very happy with our experience! The biggest thing we learned was to be proactive and make sure to stay on top of grades - it sounds obvious, but working on the SAT/ACT tests early definitely helped her in the end. The bus tour that our club set up was also key in her recruiting process. She was able to see 15 schools in 3 days, which is unbelievable. At each school the club had something set up with the college coach - a tour, a Q&A session, watching a game or practice..it was an exciting and educational experience. I have a son who is entering his "recruiting summer" and we have not had nearly as much guidance on that end, but hopefully it will turn around once we really start practicing in June.

I think your experience was great. Ours was very hit or miss and had none of this organization. Coaches strung our kid along, were very difficult to contact. Was a miserable experience. We ended up at a very solid school and got a decent scholarship around 30 percent, and the major we wanted. But it was a painful experience. I would recommend to most people to go high end D3. The coaches are generally more experienced and the process is much more transparent because they can communicate easily with a student and not violate NCAA rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lmao yup that's from bye bye birdie

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just heard a scary story for early commitments. I boy committed to W&L in his junior year. He had already strong ACTs (33, that's over 2200 SAT equivalent) and a good GPA (3.8 out of 4.0) and good lax resume (good club team and all-county and HM all-state). When he did his early action application, he was not talking to any other schools and did not prepare any other application material for other schools. December 15th(or there abouts), he and 4 other lax commitments were not admitted! He had to scramble to apply to a bunch of other schools. Fortunately, the W&L coach was a stand-up guy and called around to other coaches and found this boy a slot at another school that was prepared to accept him (still an excellent school academically). Lesson: a verbal commitment is only that is not a binding commitment. While it is true that most times, commitments of this sort do work out, boys and girls need to be prepared to scramble as this boy did.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you have an awfull lot of detail for a story you "heard". why would anyone share a private matter with someone who then posts the story here? Any chance you are trying to make W & L into the holy grail of academia?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just heard a scary story for early commitments. I boy committed to W&L in his junior year. He had already strong ACTs (33, that's over 2200 SAT equivalent) and a good GPA (3.8 out of 4.0) and good lax resume (good club team and all-county and HM all-state). When he did his early action application, he was not talking to any other schools and did not prepare any other application material for other schools. December 15th(or there abouts), he and 4 other lax commitments were not admitted! He had to scramble to apply to a bunch of other schools. Fortunately, the W&L coach was a stand-up guy and called around to other coaches and found this boy a slot at another school that was prepared to accept him (still an excellent school academically). Lesson: a verbal commitment is only that is not a binding commitment. While it is true that most times, commitments of this sort do work out, boys and girls need to be prepared to scramble as this boy did.

Obviously this coach did a very poor job of vetting prospects with the administration. If this story is indeed true, no one in the future will risk committing to W&L. There has to be more to the story.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard