BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,193
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 47 of 83 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If your kid is good the varsity coach will know about her. The coach ahould have a need for her on his/her team with the realization that she will play on varsity and be effective . The coach would have already reached out to you months ago to discuss the classification process with you. If you have not heard from anyone at this point the reality is your daughter may be good but not any better than what the coach already has. So she will have to play MS ball like everyone else. When her time comes maybe 8th grade maybe not all depends on the district, she will get the call up maybe to Varsity or JV . Coaches will fight for your kid if she is needed. The problem is parents fight for their kid before they are needed and it puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth from the Ad down.

Most accurate thing I've read so far regarding this process.

Accurate but sometimes politics is involved.

I was lucky enough to have my child called up. I also saw other children called up over others who were more talented with higher Lax IQ that played the same position.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our schools policy was quiet for years until some YJ parents brought it back to forefront with petitions for 7th and 8th graders to play varsity The parents thought the kids should be up because they have a bumper sticker.

I understand the call ups for roster need and ability but because you are a YJ?

A core contributer of a YJ blue or TG black team is a far cry from a lower 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th team player. 90% of YJ or tg or whatever travel club should not be pulled up. Many of the non travel kids are better than club kids on the lower teams. You also have issues with club directors telling kids and parents that their 7-8th grader should be playing varsity. Even read that recently I think on the TG thread. Guy above only had it half right, some town and districts do not have a good connection to the SCGL league and do not know what is coming down the pipes. Some of the town coaches and directors are the same exact people pressuring the varsity coaches and AD with their own kids and agendas.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our schools policy was quiet for years until some YJ parents brought it back to forefront with petitions for 7th and 8th graders to play varsity The parents thought the kids should be up because they have a bumper sticker.

A core contributer of a YJ blue or TG black team is a far cry from a lower 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th team player. 90% of YJ or tg or whatever travel club should not be pulled up. Many of the non travel kids are better than club kids on the lower teams. You also have issues with club directors telling kids and parents that their 7-8th grader should be playing varsity. Even read that recently I think on the TG thread. Guy above only had it half right, some town and districts do not have a good connection to the SCGL league and do not know what is coming down the pipes. Some of the town coaches and directors are the same exact people pressuring the varsity coaches and AD with their own kids and agendas.

Unfortunately the agendas run rampant. Our booster clubs are run by parents from the big girls and boys clubs. They are the ones planting the seeds about the players to watch

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one should play up unless your schools program needs to fill roster spots to field a team. For programs that have enough, or too many that they need to make cuts, bringing kids up should be out of the question. I assure you that it is not in the best interest of the younger kids. They will be resented by the older players who were cut or who's friends were cut. Not what you want for your child who will be entering high school within a year or two. They will have bier time. Let the high school aged players have theirs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kid plays on one of the "Top Clubs" whatever that means, and I am very comfortable with her ability to compete with the girls her age. In any of the top districts it is rare for a 7th or 8th grader to be an impact player on Varsity. My kids time will come whenever that is. I am not sure when all of this "get pulled up early" stuff started but it is IMO not in the best interest of the kids or the Varsity program as a whole. It is merely to satisfy the egos of the parents that want to see their kid on Varsity even if it is only to be a practice body. The call will come when the time is right. Till then keep your daughter focused on what she needs to do for herself to keep improving . I want my kid on Varsity when the time is right for her to make a difference on the field not from the sidelines filling a roster spot. If that is in 8th, 9th, or 10th grade time will tell.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kid plays on one of the "Top Clubs" whatever that means, and I am very comfortable with her ability to compete with the girls her age. In any of the top districts it is rare for a 7th or 8th grader to be an impact player on Varsity. My kids time will come whenever that is. I am not sure when all of this "get pulled up early" stuff started but it is IMO not in the best interest of the kids or the Varsity program as a whole. It is merely to satisfy the egos of the parents that want to see their kid on Varsity even if it is only to be a practice body. The call will come when the time is right. Till then keep your daughter focused on what she needs to do for herself to keep improving . I want my kid on Varsity when the time is right for her to make a difference on the field not from the sidelines filling a roster spot. If that is in 8th, 9th, or 10th grade time will tell.

Forget the 7th or 8th grader playing Varsity most times a worthy 9th or 10th Grader has 11th and 12th grade parents complaining.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one should play up unless your schools program needs to fill roster spots to field a team. For programs that have enough, or too many that they need to make cuts, bringing kids up should be out of the question. I assure you that it is not in the best interest of the younger kids. They will be resented by the older players who were cut or who's friends were cut. Not what you want for your child who will be entering high school within a year or two. They will have bier time. Let the high school aged players have theirs.

Hog wash. Poppy [lacrosse] take your pick.

Players who have aspirations to play in college want to play with the best they can against the best they can. if what you say is true the philosophy would work for Freshman and Sophomores too. WAIT THEIR TURN, NO, PLAY WHEN YOU CAN AND DESERVE TO PLAY.

No player should be brought up to fill a number or fill a roster spot. A player should only be brought up because she/he is on level and/or better than what you have and is both physically and mentally mature enough to make the leap.

I have seen those special players the past few years, Modified or even JV is a waste for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter was brought up simply because they thought she would contribute significantly, be a starter to the varsity and most important of all it was in the best interest for her in terms of being challenged. Say what you want but from a challenged aspect middle school lacrosse is a joke , one notch above PE class. I find it interesting that we want our kids to be challenged academically such as being in honors or AP classes but feel differently when it comes to athletics. I get the fact that some may question the safety because of the size differential etc., but go watch any high school game and you will see kids of vastly different sizes. From a social aspect it was a very positive experience and still remains friends with some of the older group 4 years later. The only people that complain when the kid is good enough to be brought up are the parents of the kid that thinks their daughters spot was taken.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Players who have aspirations to play in college want to play with the best they can against the best they can. if what you say is true the philosophy would work for Freshman and Sophomores too. WAIT THEIR TURN, NO, PLAY WHEN YOU CAN AND DESERVE TO PLAY.

No player should be brought up to fill a number or fill a roster spot. A player should only be brought up because she/he is on level and/or better than what you have and is both physically and mentally mature enough to make the leap.

I have seen those special players the past few years, Modified or even JV is a waste for them.

Agree 100 %, just saw an 8th grade wrestler win a state championship in wrestling, last year he took 2nd, should this kid not be given the opportunity to perform at that level because it was not his turn ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree 100 %, just saw an 8th grade wrestler win a state championship in wrestling, last year he took 2nd, should this kid not be given the opportunity to perform at that level because it was not his turn ?

Great thing about sports like wrestling, swimming, Tennis there is an individual aspect if you deserve it will show.
Cuts down of the my child did his time when the younger one is
beating them.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The wrestling analogy is off slightly...there were (5) 8th graders and to be honest (12) of the (16) boys at 99lbs were underclassmen (up to 10th grade). The main reason is because there are not that many upperclassmen that weigh 99lbs, especially in light of the weight loss restrictions today.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Apples and oranges... AP and honors classes are within the confines of grade at which you belong. Instead, let's move Little Susie up three grades. Maybe We can find an average student in 11th grade, kick them out of high school and give Litte Susie her seat in class.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately the agendas run rampant. Our booster clubs are run by parents from the big girls and boys clubs. They are the ones planting the seeds about the players to watch

Every school is different. Our booster club is run by non travel parents who spent all of last year rallying at school board meetings against girls getting moved up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Apples and oranges... AP and honors classes are within the confines of grade at which you belong. Instead, let's move Little Susie up three grades. Maybe We can find an average student in 11th grade, kick them out of high school and give Litte Susie her seat in class.

Come on. There's plenty of room on the bench for Suzie. Next we will be guaranteeing equal playing time for all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The wrestling analogy is off slightly...there were (5) 8th graders and to be honest (12) of the (16) boys at 99lbs were underclassmen (up to 10th grade). The main reason is because there are not that many upperclassmen that weigh 99lbs, especially in light of the weight loss restrictions today.

okay I know this is a girls blog but there is a well know 7th grade boy out there who if he plays Modified could potentially kill a kid with his shot. Of course he would not intentionally do that, but against a lesser player with NO LAX IQ it could happen.

I am not always saying play Varsity but the JV option must be open for those exceptional players and there are more than you think out there. Saying wait their turn is just non sense.

Another ridiculous thing is the Selection Classification test. Sure there needs to be some benchmark okay. But show me a team where 100% of the players pass that thing. Additionally does anyone know the last time it was ratified, it is out dated.

The Wrestling analogy is spot on, the kid fills the spot that is needed for the wrestling team to have a full team at each weight class. I am sure you could have had any freshman or sophomore fill it but the 8th grader was better.

again it just promotes that just give participation awards out. Ilove that progressive video..

It okay tommy you didn't win this time, but you gave it your all, lets go get ice cream, Ice cream with sprinkles, NO, no sprinkles you didn't win!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know my district moves up students within a subject. The child will still stay in the year but will move to HS courses Like Algebra or Geometry or Earth Science or Biology.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's between last years finals teams, ESM, Sayvile, and throw WBab and Hauppauge into the mix. [/quote]

I am sure there must be a half dozen teams that could take the division.[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner in B has four losses. You take the teams listed above and throw EI in looking for a comeback year vs Smaller Schools. IIRC, Sayville beat both Huntington and Miller Place in the Playoffs last year by one goal so you can add them to the mix and Rocky Point, Islip and Westhampton have some very talented girls so we are looking at 10 teams with at least playoff aspirations. Should be a good year for Suffolk Girls Lacrosse!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Apples and oranges... AP and honors classes are within the confines of grade at which you belong. Instead, let's move Little Susie up three grades. Maybe We can find an average student in 11th grade, kick them out of high school and give Litte Susie her seat in class. [/quot

Actually in my school district there are 7-8th graders taking high school courses because they have shown an ability to handle the work so I think its an excellent analogy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Apples and oranges... AP and honors classes are within the confines of grade at which you belong. Instead, let's move Little Susie up three grades. Maybe We can find an average student in 11th grade, kick them out of high school and give Litte Susie her seat in class. [/quot

Actually in my school district there are 7-8th graders taking high school courses because they have shown an ability to handle the work so I think its an excellent analogy.

Except that the 7-8th grader in the classroom isn't pushing an upperclassman out of her seat. Not saying I agree one way or the other, just pointing out the difference.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello. West islip. You aren't chiming in

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HAHA chiming in about what? the "B" stuff or the 7/8 stuff?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WI vs MC for A Finals. No need for them to be on here until then.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congratulations to the young man for winning States, but please understand that NY is one of only two states that has a high school weight classification under 100 pounds. The reason for this is that most high school boys (including this young man) are likely to be 105 pounds or more (11-12% heavier than the 99 pound classification). So this young man won a weight class best-suited for his age. If you said that an eight grader won the 145 pound or 152 pound class, that might be more credible and relevant to boys high school lacrosse. Further, wrestling, by having weight classifications, limits the physical disparity that can exist between kids of different ages. If this same 99 pound wrestler were to step on the lacrosse field against a 205 pound defender, serious injury could occur.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am curious , the" wait your turn proponents ". If a middle school cross country kids times put them as better than their high school varsity kids you still think she should not be brought up ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am curious , the" wait your turn proponents ". If a middle school cross country kids times put them as better than their high school varsity kids you still think she should not be brought up ?

I am not a wait your turn proponent but I think individual sports such as cc and tennis have to be looked at differently than contact sports like lax and soccer and this conversation is only about girls because you see 5 foot 100 pound 8th graders and 6'3" 225 pound 8th grade boys. My school district has had a handful of girls over the years come up and play lax and soccer (most of them actually played both) in 8th grade and they were all big strong girls who ended up playing D1 in college or are currently being recruited by big schools. The key here is that they were were bigger girls who could hold their own and not little pipsqueaks. Not to state the obvious,but there needs to be some kind of a physical test (a real one, not the fake one they use now) to determine eligibility and the other thing I think is that girls must be in 8th grade to play varsity and can only play jv in 7th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WI vs MC for A Finals. No need for them to be on here until then.

Nice job, you just blew it, now they are on here.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a great example of why NYS does selection classification. If this MS XC runner can beat the Varsity runners why shouldn't that child get the spot on the team? Would it help the child to play MS and run 1.5 miles when the child can beat the Varsity player at a 3 mile race? Does it help the varsity players get better if they are not challenged by better runners? The whole idea of selection classification is remove the age and grade from the analysis of the player's skill level and place them on a team that is appropriate giving consideration to player's skill, maturity, etc. It is and should be done on a case by case basis without pressure from the parents whose child might be displaced.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a great example of why NYS does selection classification. If this MS XC runner can beat the Varsity runners why shouldn't that child get the spot on the team? Would it help the child to play MS and run 1.5 miles when the child can beat the Varsity player at a 3 mile race? Does it help the varsity players get better if they are not challenged by better runners? The whole idea of selection classification is remove the age and grade from the analysis of the player's skill level and place them on a team that is appropriate giving consideration to player's skill, maturity, etc. It is and should be done on a case by case basis without pressure from the parents whose child might be displaced.

I am sorry nothing is a good example of the selection classification test.

The criteria is out dated.

If we want this to work then do a central process by Section.
Have selected doctors evaluate the children. Not one's own Pediatrician. I know quite a few (both male and female) who just got the dr to put a passing tanner score.

Food for thought, have the selected student-athletes go to Stony Brook for SectXI and/or Hofstra for VIII for a day and do the physical test (combine per say) in front of other kids from all over the sect. Noone gets a blind eye when doing an event. Noone gets a "pass". Evaluators are consistent across each school with in a section.

Yes, maybe ridiculous to a degree but the dedicated players would love the idea and the competition. It would actually be fun. Those that would be against it I can only think are borderline in passing the current benchmarks.

oh yeah and why not do these on the weekend, why do schools do this during the week?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is done on weekdays during the week so they don't have to bring the PE teacher in on OT to give the test. Selective classification is fine. I have never heard of a kid not passing the test. I think this conversation is more about 7/8 grade girls wanting to play on JV or V and the districts not allowing them to.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am sorry nothing is a good example of the selection classification test.

The criteria is out dated.

If we want this to work then do a central process by Section.
Have selected doctors evaluate the children. Not one's own Pediatrician. I know quite a few (both male and female) who just got the dr to put a passing tanner score.

Food for thought, have the selected student-athletes go to Stony Brook for SectXI and/or Hofstra for VIII for a day and do the physical test (combine per say) in front of other kids from all over the sect. Noone gets a blind eye when doing an event. Noone gets a "pass". Evaluators are consistent across each school with in a section.

Yes, maybe ridiculous to a degree but the dedicated players would love the idea and the competition. It would actually be fun. Those that would be against it I can only think are borderline in passing the current benchmarks.

oh yeah and why not do these on the weekend, why do schools do this during the week?

No offense but the current physical test ie bar hang etc. is for the most part ridiculously simple and in my opinion not very indicative of whether a kid is ready to be moved up. I have seen some 8th grade girls that play goalie that would be fine playing varsity but have no chance at actually passing the test while I have seen others that pass the test no problem but have no business playing varsity lax. I think you have to trust the AD, coaches , and yes the parents to do what is in the best interest of the kids. Have spoken to many parents who have had a kid move up and have not heard a negative from any of them in any sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its not the same when you are comparing a running sport with no physical contact to lacrosse. I have had 2 girls play up in their respective sports. You should only be brought up if you are going to start or make an impact on the team. Period the end!

WInter Blues - What are your teams doing?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the snow on the ground and being stuck in doors, any teams/coaches doing anything creative to get the girls to train? Anyone shoveling the fields? What are your HS coaches and teams doing?

Re: 2015 Girls Spring Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the snow on the ground and being stuck in doors, any teams/coaches doing anything creative to get the girls to train? Anyone shoveling the fields? What are your HS coaches and teams doing?

Any teams renting space at indoor facilities?

Last edited by The Hop; .
Re: 2015 Girls Spring Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any teams renting space at indoor facilities?

We barely had money in the budget to pay for buses to away games..we will be practicing in the gym.. along with the boys team..softball, baseball, tennis, track etc..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I Agree

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our towns numbers are way down so there are so few girls playing it would cost a fortune to rent out space. It is gyms for us!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our towns numbers are way down so there are so few girls playing it would cost a fortune to rent out space. It is gyms for us!

That's what the booster club is for .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Booster club is to get favors from the coach for "supporting the team." The politics in our town is so incredible it is not even funny.

Coaches making decisions on friendships and where girls play in the summer rather than who is best for the team or the high school over all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is Daler nation going to be this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is Daler nation going to be this year?

They weren't the team they had been last year. This year even worse....

Page 47 of 83 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard