BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26
Re: Boys 2019 Fall 2014/Summer 2015 v3.0
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the arm breaker from Edge made the Jake Reed camp. Maybe one of you super tough LI dad's can jump in the IROC head to UMBC and teach that young Canadian a lesson

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any experience, or second hand feedback with the Brine National Tournament that they would be willing to share? Thank you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Right he made jake reed as a15yr old against kids a year or two younger. What an accomplishment!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone have any experience, or second hand feedback with the Brine National Tournament that they would be willing to share? Thank you.

not sure what you are looking for, lots of discussion on the 2018 thread from people that were their last year. I have been to it a few times, it is a great event that lets kids from other towns and travel teams play together for a week representing long Island, it is the most fun the kid will have over the summer playing lacrosse. having said that, it is not a recruiting event - they have some great colleges represented but they are coaches not guys in folding chairs with clip boards - playing for a coach fro a school you are interested in could be a great opportunity but that is luck of the draw - last year the middle school team was coached by a Maryland assistant who is now at Loyola so it is great if you play well and are interested in the school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Right he made jake reed as a15yr old against kids a year or two younger. What an accomplishment!!

He attended as a 14 year old. Only Maryland does the double reclass Chief

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the arm breaker from Edge made the Jake Reed camp. Maybe one of you super tough LI dad's can jump in the IROC head to UMBC and teach that young Canadian a lesson

REALLY?? Get a life!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

REALLY?? Get a life!

I believe the LI coach threatening violence against Edge 2019 should get a life

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Will he be 15 by Jake Reed

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The VAST majority of kids at JR will be 15.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NOOOOO IT IS ONLY THE CANADIANS. Americans would NEVER hold back, PG, reclass. Only those evil hosers up north. Maybe the US Lacrosse Director on this board will open up an investigation.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
heard 91 got beat by HHH

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are gonna have a tough summer . A lot of talent at the tryout in September and they kept most of the team. Definatly better players that weren't taken. Yes, my son included.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
heard 91 got beat by HHH

91 Orange lost a couple games last weekend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are gonna have a tough summer . A lot of talent at the tryout in September and they kept most of the team. Definatly better players that weren't taken. Yes, my son included.

White or orange??? Got beat by a town team or HHH varsity?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you speaking of 2019 players? If so the VAST majority of them s/b 14, if they were not reclassed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NOOOOO IT IS ONLY THE CANADIANS. Americans would NEVER hold back, PG, reclass. Only those evil hosers up north. Maybe the US Lacrosse Director on this board will open up an investigation.

Yes, some kids parents decide to reclass and PG their kids but that is not what the Edge program is doing. The program has decided to play entire teams down a year. THAT is cheating. They are 9th graders playing against 8th graders and you have the gall to post a message of your indignation about an LI coach who wants to play physical against them? You sir are what is wrong with youth sports.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And you people wonder why we think of Canada as the leaching, whiney, step child to the north. Don't you think its a sign that Canadians have to play younger kids to standout against American kids? You're not known for your intelligence up north but try fair play.

Arm breaker. Classless trash from the north.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Orange got beat by Dukes and Laxachussetts .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2019 Orange is going to have a run for their money this summer. It is going to be great to see the boys play/scrimmage each other when the thaw begins and the ground is visible again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not about the team .it's about getting each kid to play better on an individual basis.if your son hardly plays for any of these teams they should go to an organization where your son will play.. hard to get better just watching. Team records mean absolutely nothing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow the vast majority will be 15 - Then that is not a true rising freshman. a True rising freshman is not 15 before their first day of freshman year.

Maybe we should now utilize the college term Red shirt to denote these players and events.

As far as I know the vast majority of 2019 will only be 14 (some may even be 13) by the time they enter HS as a freshman.

or better yet, if your son is 15 at JR this year as a 2019 - at some point you were not good enough for 2018. Wanted to play in college so you were able to game the system. Don't tell me you left the kid back (for academic reasons) in 2nd grade either; their are only a handful of those legit kids, the rest had the thought process to give the kid an advantage over other students.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son is a 2018 and will be 14 this summer at JR. Does not turn 15 until November!! No where in the country should you be 15 before your first day of HS.

Wow the vast majority will be 15 - Then that is not a true rising freshman. a True rising freshman is not 15 before their first day of freshman year.

Maybe we should now utilize the college term Red shirt to denote these players and events.

As far as I know the vast majority of 2019 will only be 14 (some may even be 13) by the time they enter HS as a freshman.

or better yet, if your son is 15 at JR this year as a 2019 - at some point you were not good enough for 2018. Wanted to play in college so you were able to game the system. Don't tell me you left the kid back (for academic reasons) in 2nd grade either; their are only a handful of those legit kids, the rest had the thought process to give the kid an advantage over other students.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A 2019 15 year old is NOT the norm. My son is 13, won't be 14 until August and is doing great.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes! My son is one of the oldest in his class. He turned 14 this winter

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son will be there, he turns 14 in April. He is looking forward to play against some of the best players in the Country.
2019 legit or the 2018 holdbacks, he'll be ready.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
over other students. [/quote]

A 2019 15 year old is NOT the norm. My son is 13, won't be 14 until August and is doing great. [/quote]

My son is a 15 year old 2017. Will not turn 16 until September. That kid is way too old to be playing with 8th graders...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2019 plays Dukes and Li Express in 2 weeks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
over other students.

A 2019 15 year old is NOT the norm. My son is 13, won't be 14 until August and is doing great. [/quote]

My son is a 15 year old 2017. Will not turn 16 until September. That kid is way too old to be playing with 8th graders...[/quote]
yeah but, his parents left him behind one year in kindergarten to get an edge, then reclassified in 8th grade. Wait until PG year after high school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son will be there, he turns 14 in April. He is looking forward to play against some of the best players in the Country.
2019 legit or the 2018 holdbacks, he'll be ready.

Watch out for the Canadian arm breaker!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not an Orange fan but this is a holdback year for many. This is the year that LI clubs begin to be at a disadvantage. Teams that LI clubs beat handily in the past will suddenly be extremely competitive. The majority of LI players are public school kids of middle class parents, reclassifying is the exception not the norm. It's just the way it is.

2019 Orange is going to have a run for their money this summer. It is going to be great to see the boys play/scrimmage each other when the thaw begins and the ground is visible again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we all agree reclassifying is an unfortunate fact, but the vast majority of players are age appropriate? Some clubs register their teams down an age group in tournaments for an advantage and there is nothing we as parents/coaches can do about (its up to the tournament directors to police). Finally, there are a lot of pretty darn talented teams in the North East US and we really don't need to bicker over which is best. Everyone needs to take a step back from the debating and simply enjoy watching the game played at such a high level.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we all agree reclassifying is an unfortunate fact, but the vast majority of players are age appropriate? Some clubs register their teams down an age group in tournaments for an advantage and there is nothing we as parents/coaches can do about (its up to the tournament directors to police). Finally, there are a lot of pretty darn talented teams in the North East US and we really don't need to bicker over which is best. Everyone needs to take a step back from the debating and simply enjoy watching the game played at such a high level.

VERY WELL PUT!

Our 2019's from Strong Island are all very good players and from the ones I know and have met, are very nice, well mannered young men. That combined with the fact that they have club teams, coaches, trainers at their disposal wanting each of the boys to get better makes for a great combination. Plus we have our parents, always willing to make it happen, paying for all of the additional expenses. Most importantly, the boys have a desire to be the best and the outstanding players are developing a Lax IQ, which is what makes a difference. All of these things combined is what elevates our 2019's to be the best players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not about the team .it's about getting each kid to play better on an individual basis.if your son hardly plays for any of these teams they should go to an organization where your son will play.. hard to get better just watching. Team records mean absolutely nothing.

Such a good valid point. I wish more people understood this!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not an Orange fan but this is a holdback year for many. This is the year that LI clubs begin to be at a disadvantage. Teams that LI clubs beat handily in the past will suddenly be extremely competitive. The majority of LI players are public school kids of middle class parents, reclassifying is the exception not the norm. It's just the way it is.

Didn't they just grab a kid from another travel team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who ??

Didn't they just grab a kid from another travel team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the bright side......

Our 2019's here on LI will have great field conditions come April 1st.

Combined with the fact that now they are only getting to practice indoors and are playing in tournys outside of NY-----
they will be ready to "bring it" for their school teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are some common myths about college recruiting. It's a changing process, and the more you know the better chance you have of achieving your goals.

Copied from Ted Spencer's Blue Chip 225:

RECRUITING MYTHS
1. If you are college material coaches will find you.

There are 166,000 high school boys playing lacrosse throughout the country. A coach is looking for five or six players each year to fill in his roster. He has limited time and a limited travel budget. Your chances of being found among the 166,000 are slim at best.

2. You need to wait until official recruiting period begins at the start of your junior year.

Wrong! 31% of lacrosse players commit before the official recruiting period even begins!! In fact, rising sophomores (freshmen) are committing to college programs so preparing for college cannot begin too early. A recent article in the New [lacrosse] Times was headlined "Committed to College and Then Started 9th Grade."

3. By the time you are a rising senior it is too late to get recruited.

69% of commitments are made between the junior and senior years. Many schools will recruit rising seniors to fill in unexpected gaps or among players who are late bloomers or missed in the process. While your chances at a top D1 school go down by the time you're a senior, it is never too late to be recruited. Our own survey of Blue Chip 225 Rising Senior attendees found that over 90% reported at least one college inquiry as a result of attending Blue Chip 225

4. Aim high! That's where the money is.

The talk in any high school locker room is about the top D1 schools kids are going to get into. UNC, Virginia, Hopkins, SU, and so on are every players dream schools. They have big time scholarship money.

The math is easy - there are 41,000 players in each graduating high school class and maybe 400 scholarship equivalents at all the D1 schools (some you've not likely even heard of). The odds of receiving ANY funding from ANY D1 school are 0.89% - less than 1 in a 100) - The average award in lacrosse is about $6,000. In all sports only 3.7% of high school players even make the team. Unless you are among the national elite players , at least include a wide range of D1 and other division schools in your target list. Dream high and plan wide.

4. I know a bunch of people who got full rides for lacrosse.

Football and basketball are head count sports where each scholarship is given to an individual for college. Lacrosse is an "equivalency" sport which means that the 12.9 scholarships for D1 and 10.8 for D2 are turned into dollars and awarded in pieces among athletes. In this way an athlete may receive partial tuition, or books, or any dollar amount so long as the total disbursed does not exceed typical expenses times the number of scholarships allowed for that division. Not all programs are fully funded which means that a given school may allocate only a portion of the maximum funding to the program which further limits the funding to be spread among the players in the four college classes.

5. Grades don't matter if you're a recruited athlete.

Quite the contrary. While being a recruited athlete is likely to get you some favorable treatment at the admissions office, NCAA regulations and the standards of colleges are likely to set minimum standards you must meet to be admitted no matter how strongly you are being recruited. Further, a coach assesses the likelihood of your remaining eligible academically, so the athlete with the stronger academic record is going to get the nod over one with lower grades or standardized test scores.

6. Someone can get me recruited. My coach will get me recruited. I filled out the prospective student questionnaire that's enough. I got emails from coaches indicating interest. I was invited to college camp.

All these statements are good indications of interest by colleges and you should welcome them. BUT! During the course of a year a coach may email hundreds of players, invite many players to camp, respond to a vast number of questionnaires... and that is exciting but all it means is that you are noticed. Until you receive a direct offer from a coach you can drop off the recruiting roster in a moment and the coach is not likely to notify you of this. The simple reality is that is up to you to market yourself to the schools you want to attend. No one, and I mean NO ONE, cares as much as you do about this next step in your life!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are some common myths about college recruiting. It's a changing process, and the more you know the better chance you have of achieving your goals.

Copied from Ted Spencer's Blue Chip 225:

RECRUITING MYTHS

There are 166,000 high school boys playing lacrosse throughout the country. A coach is looking for five or six players each year to fill in his roster. He has limited time and a limited travel budget. Your chances of being found among the 166,000 are slim at best.

2. You need to wait until official recruiting period begins at the start of your junior year.

Wrong! 31% of lacrosse players commit before the official recruiting period even begins!! In fact, rising sophomores (freshmen) are committing to college programs so preparing for college cannot begin too early. A recent article in the New [lacrosse] Times was headlined "Committed to College and Then Started 9th Grade."

69% of commitments are made between the junior and senior years. Many schools will recruit rising seniors to fill in unexpected gaps or among players who are late bloomers or missed in the process. While your chances at a top D1 school go down by the time you're a senior, it is never too late to be recruited. Our own survey of Blue Chip 225 Rising Senior attendees found that over 90% reported at least one college inquiry as a result of attending Blue Chip 225

The talk in any high school locker room is about the top D1 schools kids are going to get into. UNC, Virginia, Hopkins, SU, and so on are every players dream schools. They have big time scholarship money.

The math is easy - there are 41,000 players in each graduating high school class and maybe 400 scholarship equivalents at all the D1 schools (some you've not likely even heard of). The odds of receiving ANY funding from ANY D1 school are 0.89% - less than 1 in a 100) - The average award in lacrosse is about $6,000. In all sports only 3.7% of high school players even make the team. Unless you are among the national elite players , at least include a wide range of D1 and other division schools in your target list. Dream high and plan wide.

Football and basketball are head count sports where each scholarship is given to an individual for college. Lacrosse is an "equivalency" sport which means that the 12.9 scholarships for D1 and 10.8 for D2 are turned into dollars and awarded in pieces among athletes. In this way an athlete may receive partial tuition, or books, or any dollar amount so long as the total disbursed does not exceed typical expenses times the number of scholarships allowed for that division. Not all programs are fully funded which means that a given school may allocate only a portion of the maximum funding to the program which further limits the funding to be spread among the players in the four college classes.

Quite the contrary. While being a recruited athlete is likely to get you some favorable treatment at the admissions office, NCAA regulations and the standards of colleges are likely to set minimum standards you must meet to be admitted no matter how strongly you are being recruited. Further, a coach assesses the likelihood of your remaining eligible academically, so the athlete with the stronger academic record is going to get the nod over one with lower grades or standardized test scores.

6. Someone can get me recruited. My coach will get me recruited. I filled out the prospective student questionnaire that's enough. I got emails from coaches indicating interest. I was invited to college camp.

All these statements are good indications of interest by colleges and you should welcome them. BUT! During the course of a year a coach may email hundreds of players, invite many players to camp, respond to a vast number of questionnaires... and that is exciting but all it means is that you are noticed. Until you receive a direct offer from a coach you can drop off the recruiting roster in a moment and the coach is not likely to notify you of this. The simple reality is that is up to you to market yourself to the schools you want to attend. No one, and I mean NO ONE, cares as much as you do about this next step in your life!

These 6 facts should be a wake up call for all of us who are chasing the false promise of athletic scholarship for lacrosse!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

RECRUITING MYTHS

These 6 facts should be a wake up call for all of us who are chasing the false promise of athletic scholarship for lacrosse!

Exactly!
A roster of 50 competing for what amounts to be 12.9 equivalent scholarships?
Wake up people!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IS THERE A BRINE MIDDLE SCHOOL TRYOUT TODAY ON LONG ISLAND? DIDNT THEY HAVE THAT ALREADY LAST FALL?

Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard