SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Re: Recruiting stories from the road. Share your experience.
Anonymous #104934 02/20/15 10:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughters schools club team practices 3x per week in the evenings and travels every weekend for games and tournaments. Club LAx lumps D1-D3 team together in divisions and rankings so if you look at the pre season national club rankings you will see D3 Cortland in the top 10 with UCLA, Florida, Boston College, Loyola and Duke. D2's and D3's get to travel and play games at big D1 schools which is a cool experience for the 2's and 3's.

They are still playing at a very high level, still traveling, still competing for a division, region and national title, still making friends and socializing all without a D1 program owning them 24-7 and they are HAPPY!

And just like the top D3 and D2 schools would beat many lower D1 programs, many of these club teams would beat plenty lower varsity teams. These club teams are LOADED with kids who could have played varsity (maybe not at the school they are attending, but a varsity program somewhere)but chose not to.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #104936 02/20/15 10:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughters schools club team practices 3x per week in the evenings and travels every weekend for games and tournaments. Club LAx lumps D1-D3 team together in divisions and rankings so if you look at the pre season national club rankings you will see D3 Cortland in the top 10 with UCLA, Florida, Boston College, Loyola and Duke. D2's and D3's get to travel and play games at big D1 schools which is a cool experience for the 2's and 3's.

They are still playing at a very high level, still traveling, still competing for a division, region and national title, still making friends and socializing all without a D1 program owning them 24-7 and they are HAPPY!

And just like the top D3 and D2 schools would beat many lower D1 programs, many of these club teams would beat plenty lower varsity teams. These club teams are LOADED with kids who could have played varsity (maybe not at the school they are attending, but a varsity program somewhere)but chose not to.

I whole heartily agree about the entire club lacrosse experience but do not get carried away with club teams being able to compete with varsity teams, when Michigan was dominating on the club level people kept on saying they were good enough to compete against many lower level D1 team, when they went Varsity they won 2 games in two years. I agree that there is a lot of good club players and teams but it is still a big jump up to varsity

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104939 02/20/15 12:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't get caught up with the labels. My kids on Blue or Black or Orange. My kid is D1, My kid is in ACC....

Bottom line is if you think a strong club team couldn't beat the 100th ranked D1 program or some D2 and D3 varsity teams your crazy. Just like if you don't think D3 Trinity or D2 Adelphi would torch many mid to lower ranked D1 varsity programs you are nuts.

Kids can still have a very rewarding college lax experience outside of playing for an all encompassing top 10 D1 program

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104946 02/20/15 01:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
played D1 didnt start. sophmore year went to club with 6 other roster players had the time of our lives.by grad year played club with many of my recruting class.was able to balance school, social and sports. be well aware of what you are wishing for your boys. they are the ones who have to get up and compete in the class and on the field.enjoy it goes by fast.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop #105520 02/26/15 08:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know how common it is for out of state schools to waive the residency requirement to athletes? This in itself would be like a scholarship of sorts.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #105537 02/27/15 08:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know how common it is for out of state schools to waive the residency requirement to athletes? This in itself would be like a scholarship of sorts.

Uncommon. That decreased price is due to tax credit for being a resident. T is against the state legislative law to do so.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #105555 02/27/15 11:12 AM
P
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
P

Uncommon. That decreased price is due to tax credit for being a resident. T is against the state legislative law to do so.

My daugther had an out of state waiver. I think the wording on it was to the effect of "to be awarded to an out of state student who brings something of value to the school." The athletic dept was able to use that to their, and our, advantage. I'm sure all states have different interpretations but that's how it was in FL.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop #105557 02/27/15 11:17 AM
T
The Hop Online Content OP
User
OP Online Content
User
T
That's good information from Powder because the difference between in state and out of state is huge.

For the unrecruited juniors is it too late?
Lots of talk about early recruiting nowadays but not too long ago it was junior year when it all happened.

Any thoughts?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
The Hop #105560 02/27/15 11:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To late to play? no. To late to receive any athletic money ( in most cases)? yes.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #105594 02/27/15 02:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To late to play? no. To late to receive any athletic money ( in most cases)? yes.

Time will determine how accurate is this statement.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
The Hop #105598 02/27/15 02:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laxpower list's 746 junior girls and 664 boys as committed to play in college. if you guesstimate 5-7 athletic scholarships (D-1 and D-2)per team. I'm thinking most offers are out and accepted. I will admit that there always exceptions, ie.. the kid who cant get the right SAT or ACT, injuries over $hit grades..which will opena window for tehe late commit. in 2015 the late Junior or Senior commit is the exception not the rule..

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #105600 02/27/15 02:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Athletic money reappears when kids decommit. Happens all the time in football and the next kid on the list gets the offer

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #105602 02/27/15 02:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's not true. Athletic money, regardless of the amount offered, is offered once a player is a junior and more likely late during Jr year, from hat I have heard. Each school is of course different.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop #106225 03/05/15 04:41 PM
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by The Hop
That's good information from Powder because the difference between in state and out of state is huge.

For the unrecruited juniors is it too late?
Lots of talk about early recruiting nowadays but not too long ago it was junior year when it all happened.

Any thoughts?

kind of double edge sword
have to get what you can when its offered
but what you think you may want or where you want to go may be completely different from sophomore and senior year

Like Reply Quote
GG1 N J18 #106230 03/05/15 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take UConn $48k out of state $24k in state plus some academic money and its the same price as a SUNY

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard