SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
Re: Recruiting stories from the road. Share your experience.
Anonymous #104503 02/13/15 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at a lot of D1 rosters, much smaller % of seniors and juniors compared to fresh/sophs. Should be a wake up call.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #104508 02/13/15 04:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any good answer to this?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104513 02/13/15 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Look at a lot of D1 rosters, much smaller % of seniors and juniors compared to fresh/sophs. Should be a wake up call.

Easy answer, except for the best of the best players the rigors of full time lacrosse play is very hard to balance with getting a degree. Those upper classman buried on the bench are choosing studies and internships over lacrosse. Read the D1 surveys - Athletes spend more time on sports than academics. Give the kids credit at 20, 21 years old they realize that their lacrosse careers are coming to end...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104516 02/13/15 04:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

if you're a junior/senior and you're not getting PT and fresh and sophs are at your position it becomes apparent that you will likely never see the field. Less than 20 players get significant time in mean's games. If you're in the 30-55 range it's all practice no play no fun. So the choices are to suck it up and ride pine, transfer to somewhere you can play or just be a regular student.. and have more time to study and/or party.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104519 02/13/15 05:15 PM
T
The Hop Online Content OP
User
OP Online Content
User
T

if you're a junior/senior and you're not getting PT and fresh and sophs are at your position it becomes apparent that you will likely never see the field. Less than 20 players get significant time in mean's games. If you're in the 30-55 range it's all practice no play no fun. So the choices are to suck it up and ride pine, transfer to somewhere you can play or just be a regular student.. and have more time to study and/or party.

Does anyone have any real experience with this?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
The Hop #104521 02/13/15 05:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse players at my school would either get clued in they were in the plans, or they'd pledge a fraternity fall soph year. Going Greek got the UVa coaches ruffled so pledging to a house was pretty much a white flag on continuing lacrosse past second year. I'd guesstimate about 1/3rd of the lacrosse players did this. The ones who didn't stayed with it and were usually the ones playing. I noticed the lacrosse team was the one with by far the most attrition of the sports where I knew athletes.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104524 02/13/15 06:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse players at my school would either get clued in they were in the plans, or they'd pledge a fraternity fall soph year. Going Greek got the UVa coaches ruffled so pledging to a house was pretty much a white flag on continuing lacrosse past second year. I'd guesstimate about 1/3rd of the lacrosse players did this. The ones who didn't stayed with it and were usually the ones playing. I noticed the lacrosse team was the one with by far the most attrition of the sports where I knew athletes.

That must be why they have 50-60 kids on the roster

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104536 02/13/15 07:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are 40 so you do the math and tell me how many are scholarship players and then how many are full rides lol
That must be why they have 50-60 kids on the roster

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104658 02/16/15 12:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some updated facts-
Men have 65 D1 Teams with 2,936 players and an average team size of 45 with 12.6 scholarship spots available (if program is fully funded)of those receiving money, the average athletic scholarship award is $14,605 (many get nothing).

Women have 103 D1 Teams with 3,020 players and an average team size of 29 with 12 scholarship spots available (if program is fully funded)of those receiving money, the average athletic scholarship award is $15,748 (many get nothing)

About 12% of all high school varsity athletes will play in a D1, D2 or D3 college program

If your child wants to play, there is always a program for them if you don't get hung up on the scholarship.

My daughter has 4 of her friends playing in college and they didn't play club!!! From PAL straight to high school, that's it! (1 in D2, 3 in D3)

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104662 02/16/15 08:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some updated facts-
Men have 65 D1 Teams with 2,936 players and an average team size of 45 with 12.6 scholarship spots available (if program is fully funded)of those receiving money, the average athletic scholarship award is $14,605 (many get nothing).

Women have 103 D1 Teams with 3,020 players and an average team size of 29 with 12 scholarship spots available (if program is fully funded)of those receiving money, the average athletic scholarship award is $15,748 (many get nothing)

About 12% of all high school varsity athletes will play in a D1, D2 or D3 college program

If your child wants to play, there is always a program for them if you don't get hung up on the scholarship.

My daughter has 4 of her friends playing in college and they didn't play club!!! From PAL straight to high school, that's it! (1 in D2, 3 in D3)

I agree with everything you said. But for girls it's much different than for guys. I personally know 3 girls on D1 lax team that never once got on the field for there HS varsity programs and they werent the best programs these girls just weren't that good. They got onto college teams through the YJ even though they weren't very good for them either. Point is you don't have to be very good as a female player to play D1, to many programs not enough talent. Complete opposite as the mens side.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #104666 02/16/15 09:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some updated facts-

I agree with everything you said. But for girls it's much different than for guys. I personally know 3 girls on D1 lax team that never once got on the field for there HS varsity programs and they werent the best programs these girls just weren't that good. They got onto college teams through the YJ even though they weren't very good for them either. Point is you don't have to be very good as a female player to play D1, to many programs not enough talent. Complete opposite as the mens side.

Your can argue the men is a more competitive pool from top to bottom but 12% of men play in college and 12.3% of women play

Like Reply Quote
The Hop #104674 02/16/15 10:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Average team size of about 30 for women as compared to men's programs now bloated into the mid to high 50s explains a lot. You'd need to be very good to play women's lacrosse in college since they don't carry 20-30 more players who can just be practice players until they decide to focus on school, join a fraternity, etc. and quit.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104770 02/17/15 06:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoever said check out the rosters was right, huge falloff of juniors and seniors. Looks like the kids finally start to grow up and without mommy and daddy looking over their shoulders and pushing like they did in HS, the kids are choosing to do other things with their time.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop #104929 02/20/15 01:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We went thru it two years ago, my daughter opted to play club after speaking with the girls on the team. It was a NE D1 program, daughter heard how much time was spent just in the off season, coach picking the classes they could take, she said club was more her ideal. Got the academic $, so it worked out well for her.

Now as a sophomore, she said last year and now this year, more than 2/3 of the club roster are drops from the varsity team, the girls said it was not worth the time commitment, club keeps them playing, travel games, playoffs and championships.

For some this is enough.

One boy I know who plays the other helmet sport, says his day starts at 6 am in the gym till 8;30 am. Classes at 10-2, team meeting and practice from 2;30-8p.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #104932 02/20/15 09:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoever said check out the rosters was right, huge falloff of juniors and seniors. Looks like the kids finally start to grow up and without mommy and daddy looking over their shoulders and pushing like they did in HS, the kids are choosing to do other things with their time.

This is why this site cracks me up, my bet is the VAST majority of posters are parents who DID NOT play a sport in college, but desperately want their child to play. Unless you have done it, you have no idea what goes into it. And trust me, you really have to want it yourself!!!

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard