BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Re: Age Verification
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I long ago remember ice hockey players who did PG years. They were great hockey players usually from Canada who needed the academic finishing year to be able to go to a good US college. The PG year had absolutely nothing to do with being a year older once at college or looking better against younger players. A lot of those guys were expected to be NHL draft picks and had bigger fish to fry in their sport. If anything it was something remedial they didn't want to do but needed to do for the admissions office to take them on. Lacrosse is not like that. Lacrosse parents will spend hundreds of thousands to buy in.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If u think let's just say , Laxfest gets registration from Edge , do you really think they are going to tell them no ? And do really think the top LI teams would pull out ? I didn't think so.

Why wouldn't a program director reject the registration of a team that's practices could jeopardize the safety of unknowing younger players and then hold the director's accountable? There are PLENTY of "elite" or top tier programs to register for a tournament. I certainly wouldn't take on the liability nor could I sleep at night if a kid was seriously injured and I couldhave prevented it.

I respect your points, and the best route is for your club owner to answer to you the customers. Tell him to not sign up for tournaments that will allow grade based youth teams. If you are an elite club, there are always going to be other elite tournaments. The tournament organizers will shift very fast if they lost Sweetlax, LI Express, Team 91, Dukes, top NE clubs WCS from their tournament draws. The unfortunate truth is the loudest cheerleaders are guys like your club owner who support the reclassified schemes and sign you up for it. The consumers need to say no. If they won't for the sake of having their kid on an elite team it doesn't work and we can't complain about it for now.

Why would EXPRESS pull out ? Don't they have lots of large, left back players? ? ?

Having a few players who were held back is different than a program playing teams a division younger with the excuse of intent to PG. Just my opinion. I'm NOT in favor of these parents who hold their kids back because their kids can't cut it on the field but playing teams down without holding them back is unacceptable in my book when its systemic.

Merry Christmas to all. Lets hope Santa brings some common sense to the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ryan Danehy
‏@RPDLacrosse Re-classing can be done a few ways. You can:

1. Repeat 8th grade
2. PG

Or

3. Declare yourself a year younger on rosters w/ intent to PG

This is the type of person who should not be involved in youth lacrosse. Why don't we just try working hard and every plays straight up instead of working every angle and gaming the system. This guy is a disgrace.

Add his boss too, Jamie Munro suggests this, as well. While playing D1 lax could be the be all and end all for some insane people, why anyone would want to pay $50K for a prep school for the honor is beyond my comprehension. For sure he has suggested this to families who can't really afford to do that then spend another 45K/yr at an expensive school when junior gets a 1/4 scholarship. At the end of the day older kids win tourneys, winning tourneys makes for successful clubs.

These guys have a business, it is about the business, consumers need to beware of the hype. If you are looking to a 3D for guidance on how to raise your kid or make rational decisions you are insane. They are hired to make your kid recruitable. That is their goal, not what is best for your kid, that is the decision of the parents. No one is forced, it is just suggested.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ryan Danehy
‏@RPDLacrosse Re-classing can be done a few ways. You can:

1. Repeat 8th grade
2. PG

Or

3. Declare yourself a year younger on rosters w/ intent to PG

This is the type of person who should not be involved in youth lacrosse. Why don't we just try working hard and every plays straight up instead of working every angle and gaming the system. This guy is a disgrace.

Add his boss too, Jamie Munro suggests this, as well. While playing D1 lax could be the be all and end all for some insane people, why anyone would want to pay $50K for a prep school for the honor is beyond my comprehension. For sure he has suggested this to families who can't really afford to do that then spend another 45K/yr at an expensive school when junior gets a 1/4 scholarship. At the end of the day older kids win tourneys, winning tourneys makes for successful clubs.

These guys have a business, it is about the business, consumers need to beware of the hype. If you are looking to a 3D for guidance on how to raise your kid or make rational decisions you are insane. They are hired to make your kid recruitable. That is their goal, not what is best for your kid, that is the decision of the parents. No one is forced, it is just suggested.

So when do performance enhancing drugs enter the picture? Or am I being naïve thinking that isn't an issue in youth lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most kids on my son's teams drink creatine shakes until it starts coming out their ears. We told our son whey powder in chocolate milk, which he did for a while but stopped because he is big for his age and came to realize it wasn't going to do much for him. Kids will do anything though. If a kid was faced with a decision to take steroids to make into a college prospect lacrosse player, given the irrational nature of the sport I would not be shocked if a lot of kids did it. Sad.

My new year wish is in agreement with a prior poster...I hope more rationality can enter the sport in 2015 and that kids can also get more enjoyment out of it without the sole focus of recruiting when they get to be 13.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If u think let's just say , Laxfest gets registration from Edge , do you really think they are going to tell them no ? And do really think the top LI teams would pull out ? I didn't think so.

Why wouldn't a program director reject the registration of a team that's practices could jeopardize the safety of unknowing younger players and then hold the director's accountable? There are PLENTY of "elite" or top tier programs to register for a tournament. I certainly wouldn't take on the liability nor could I sleep at night if a kid was seriously injured and I couldhave prevented it.

I respect your points, and the best route is for your club owner to answer to you the customers. Tell him to not sign up for tournaments that will allow grade based youth teams. If you are an elite club, there are always going to be other elite tournaments. The tournament organizers will shift very fast if they lost Sweetlax, LI Express, Team 91, Dukes, top NE clubs WCS from their tournament draws. The unfortunate truth is the loudest cheerleaders are guys like your club owner who support the reclassified schemes and sign you up for it. The consumers need to say no. If they won't for the sake of having their kid on an elite team it doesn't work and we can't complain about it for now.

Why would EXPRESS pull out ? Don't they have lots of large, left back players? ? ?

Having a few players who were held back is different than a program playing teams a division younger with the excuse of intent to PG. Just my opinion. I'm NOT in favor of these parents who hold their kids back because their kids can't cut it on the field but playing teams down without holding them back is unacceptable in my book when its systemic.

Merry Christmas to all. Lets hope Santa brings some common sense to the sport.

It's still cheating all around.

Cheats the normal kids these cheaters have to play against

and

the legit kids that get passed over.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you think the PG studs are paying $50k
dont think so!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boarding schools have financial aid for families needing it. Otherwise, yes the family pays up. Prep schools run like a business. There are a few basically non-academic sports academies in NE like Avon, Sailsbury and a few others like Hun and Peddie. Those for some sports will be more for sports scholarships possibly. The better NE prep schools, no. Lacrosse people give themselves more credit for being ace lax players than these schools do. Prep schools care a lot more about tuition paying good students than a sport like lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
dont think so!!

If you are a super stud maybe not, but if you are so lame you couldn't get recruited with the kids your age then yep, probably paying full freight.

I'm guessing players like the Thompson brothers got some help because they had some financial need and were phenomenal players, not wannabes like so many whose daddys want to pay to see JR play D1 lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
dont think so!!

What does PG stand for?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Post Graduate is PG.

Prior poster who thinks lacrosse studs have a scholarship waiting is out of his mind if you're talking about Deerfield, Choate, etc. Those schools will go financial aid where needed but the over inflated view of how lacrosse is prized somehow by these schools is misplaced.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
college coaches have always said...when do we get them on campus? They don't care...this whole reclass thing may explain why LI sucks so bad at the UA tournament....all their guys are a year younger

I understand that fact but the Edge is H-edge-ing their bets that the players will PG or reclass and havnt as of yet done so. If I were that player I wont do a PG Id red shirt on my dime and practice with the team.

The middie "committed" from Edge when is he committed for? Has he a verbal because he is in 9th grade? and is no longer in 8th grade yet he plays in a 2019 bracket.

Apparently it is their 6'3 200+ D guy. He's not committed but has offers from attending camps. He is a reclassified 2019. His brother did the same thing and is going to JHU next year.

Take a look at this picture via the link below, they have a bunch of huge kids on the team, which is 6'3"?

http://instagram.com/p/vgj0CbktxN/

How can a club purposely recruit older kids for grad year teams and then register teams in the wrong age division of tournaments? Tournament management, if they are aware, should be ashamed. With all of the talented teams I see playing all summer and fall this practice should be banned.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lol I saw the picture and most of the boys look 15 and 16. That is a joke and they chest pump, I would be embarrassed. I'm sorry if you look at a real 2019 team they look a lot younger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 7th grader and he'd look unsafe and foolish on the field with those kids. I am sure Edge has some good players, and they're good kids but this is another example of lacrosse club guys and daddies running wild. This dodging around to get kids on the field with others so much younger and smaller is a disgrace. This is not high school or college where kids can handle high school varsity as 9th graders or play JV. My kid is a normal 7th grader and he does not have a choice to opt out of playing these kids unless he quits lacrosse. Is anyone else's middle school kid rapidly listing interest in lacrosse for all the wrong reasons? Mine is. My youngest already quit because he likes two other sports more and that had a lot to do with a lunatic U-11 coach and some sideline daddy coaches berating the boys. This sport won't grow if this is how it goes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 7th grader and he'd look unsafe and foolish on the field with those kids. I am sure Edge has some good players, and they're good kids but this is another example of lacrosse club guys and daddies running wild. This dodging around to get kids on the field with others so much younger and smaller is a disgrace. This is not high school or college where kids can handle high school varsity as 9th graders or play JV. My kid is a normal 7th grader and he does not have a choice to opt out of playing these kids unless he quits lacrosse. Is anyone else's middle school kid rapidly listing interest in lacrosse for all the wrong reasons? Mine is. My youngest already quit because he likes two other sports more and that had a lot to do with a lunatic U-11 coach and some sideline daddy coaches berating the boys. This sport won't grow if this is how it goes.

Unfortunately, it is the same in all youth sports. Running from lacrosse won't change that fact. Youth sports is the product of how insane this generation of parents are now. We all have to deal with it in our own way though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lol I saw the picture and most of the boys look 15 and 16. That is a joke and they chest pump, I would be embarrassed. I'm sorry if you look at a real 2019 team they look a lot younger.

6' 3" 8th grader, HELD BACK BY PARENTS, who should be in H. S. ? ? ?

Would be hysterical if it wasn't so pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

6' 3" 8th grader, HELD BACK BY PARENTS, who should be in H. S. ? ? ?

Would be hysterical if it wasn't so pathetic.

What kind of nut would hold a young man this size back to compete with much smaller kids ? Is this what college coaches are focussed on now ? Is this what this sport has come down to ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is pathetic. It will reach a point where lacrosse honeymoon is over as a growth sport and kids who are good athletes will go to real sports that have more scholarship programs and money.

Remember how exciting it was when Michigan went varsity, then a few other programs added on in Furman, U Richmond? It seemed like lacrosse would roll on. No D1 new programs follow through, no momentum in the big $$ conferences like SEC and Pac 12. No follow through in ACC. Why not Miami and Fla State and Ga Tech? Those are all high growth youth game areas? No CU Boulder no USC or UCLA or even a UC Irvine. Those are all wildly popular areas. I think college administrators are laughing at the thought of starting a lacrosse program. The only rumored new D1 program now is College of Charleston, a.k.a. CoC, a.k.a. I couldn't get into Clemson but my parents have $60K a year for me to go somewhere for 4 years. A better question than is this what the sport has come to would be is this all lacrosse will be? A country club kid sport with some socially [lacrosse] parental additives from places like Canada or Baltimore where kids are 20 before they go to college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is pathetic. It will reach a point where lacrosse honeymoon is over as a growth sport and kids who are good athletes will go to real sports that have more scholarship programs and money.

Remember how exciting it was when Michigan went varsity, then a few other programs added on in Furman, U Richmond? It seemed like lacrosse would roll on. No D1 new programs follow through, no momentum in the big $$ conferences like SEC and Pac 12. No follow through in ACC. Why not Miami and Fla State and Ga Tech? Those are all high growth youth game areas? No CU Boulder no USC or UCLA or even a UC Irvine. Those are all wildly popular areas. I think college administrators are laughing at the thought of starting a lacrosse program. The only rumored new D1 program now is College of Charleston, a.k.a. CoC, a.k.a. I couldn't get into Clemson but my parents have $60K a year for me to go somewhere for 4 years. A better question than is this what the sport has come to would be is this all lacrosse will be? A country club kid sport with some socially [lacrosse] parental additives from places like Canada or Baltimore where kids are 20 before they go to college?

Hmmmm, I thought schools like Florida and Florida st in the south. Arizona and Stanford out west and a few big Midwest schools were looking to turn their club programs into varsity programs. And by the way wasn't this sport always a country club kid sport mixed with a few blue collar kids. So I am not sure what you are getting at.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The post makes a point. Why no D1 growth? I find it incredible still no SEC conference teams and no added ACC teams. I've been hearing for 5 years now about all those Florida and California universities taking their club team up to varsity but no movement. Lacrosse will never be interesting or exciting to a lot of kids unless there are more D1 opportunities with real scholarship money. Is anyone's kid growing up dreaming of someday getting a scholarship to Furman ?!?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The post makes a point. Why no D1 growth? I find it incredible still no SEC conference teams and no added ACC teams. I've been hearing for 5 years now about all those Florida and California universities taking their club team up to varsity but no movement. Lacrosse will never be interesting or exciting to a lot of kids unless there are more D1 opportunities with real scholarship money. Is anyone's kid growing up dreaming of someday getting a scholarship to Furman ?!?

The big schools have problems starting new Varsity mens programs because of title 9. I'm sure many schools would be willing to start a mens varsity lacrosse program but don't want to start a new varsity womans program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The big schools have problems starting new Varsity mens programs because of title 9. I'm sure many schools would be willing to start a mens varsity lacrosse program but don't want to start a new varsity womans program. [/quote]

This makes no sense, the cost of starting a women's program pales in comparison to starting a men's program. There has to be more to it than simply not wanting a women's program. There are probably 75-80 more women's team in the NCAA right now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding D1 lax programs, I think Title 9 forced many colleges to drop Men's lacrosse. So, starting with the following schools, lacrosse simply needs to recapture schools who dropped lacrosse!!:

Boston College, Michigan State, Gannon University, Morgan State, UConn, UNH, Butler, Radford, William & Mary, NC State, Bowling Green, William & Mary, etc.

Youth programs like Edge lacrosse simply need to be met head on by tourney directors who refuse their registration unless they play in their proper age group. It's really that simple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding D1 lax programs, I think Title 9 forced many colleges to drop Men's lacrosse. So, starting with the following schools, lacrosse simply needs to recapture schools who dropped lacrosse!!:

Boston College, Michigan State, Gannon University, Morgan State, UConn, UNH, Butler, Radford, William & Mary, NC State, Bowling Green, William & Mary, etc.

Youth programs like Edge lacrosse simply need to be met head on by tourney directors who refuse their registration unless they play in their proper age group. It's really that simple.

Title IV isn't sport for sport - it's participation. So schools that have football need to balance that out with girls participation with another sport. A good example is Vanderbilt and BC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Title IV isn't sport for sport - it's participation. So schools that have football need to balance that out with girls participation with another sport. A good example is Vanderbilt and BC.

I would add that the lack of new D1 programs has ZERO to do with whether youth lax is organized by grade, age, holdbacks etc. Colleges that add lax do so because they believe it will affect admissions and fundraising in a positive way. To big SEC football schools the addition of men's lax would require the addition of 40+ spots for woman's sports - and all the scholarship money, coaches salaries, travel etc. for them to be competitive - because the Alabama's of the world wouldn't add lax to be a bottom feeder. On the other hand a small private college that costs $50k/yr adding men's and woman's lacrosse would mean 80-100 spots filled with mostly rich kids whose parents can pay full freight. You know the country club set. So there's plenty of new D3 teams being added every year to cater the all the parents that spend $2k/yr for lax starting in 3rd grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The age thing has nothing to do with whether D1 athletic directors entertain lacrosse. There are only two reasons for a major conference school to add a sport. You can be competitive to win conference or NCAA and then money. If lacrosse can add some cache to alumni pride on the giving side or attract full paying students. Lacrosse is more the second. One wonders why ACC SEC or Pac 12 schools are not moving...at all. Maybe the D1 administrators see lacrosse as better suited for a club sport rather than a varsity one. Same tuition paying kids and a lower budget to support them. The reasons for not going have more to do with dollars than with making the numbers work on the women's side. Every athletic department is happy to add women's sports. Those programs have higher graduation rates and team GPAs across the board and generally have fewer off the field problems. Boys lacrosse is known for trouble, whether that is fair or not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys crack me up. Nobody cares about this issue except you deranged LI dads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deranged because you guys hold back your kids for athletic advantage, and it's wrong!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, using THREE exclamation points really shows me how serious the issue is. Really.

And no, my son didn't reclassify. But he's in HS and plays against kids younger and older than me. It's not that big a deal.

Except to Sal from Huntington.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deranged because you guys hold back your kids for athletic advantage, and it's wrong!!!

Is not

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES YOU ARE LOSER PARENTS, DEFENSIVE KID FROM JERSEY, PLAYED FOR TERPS RECLASSIFIED THE KID IS 6'1, HEY DAD I LOST ALL RESPECT FOR YOU, YOU ARE A FING CHEATER.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The "all caps" really drives your point home. We'll done.

Any chance you drive a Trans-Am?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Iroc like my LI buddies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The reason the LI club teams aren't making more of a stink and allow Edge Ontario and other with reclassified teams to enter grade based tournaments is because their clubs are also full of holdbacks. Go ask Legacy about their 6 ft. 7th grade attackman who is a year older....or Crush and Express about their holdbacks. Don't count on the clubs to stop the practice anytime soon is my point, because they all do it. People come on here and cry about Edge but their own clubs do the same thing, although perhaps not as open and unapologetically as Edge. It is wrong whether done in Canada or here on lovely Long Island. And it is not about not wanting to "test yourself", "compete against kids older as you will need to in HS" blah blah blah. I just don't want my 5' 2", 100lb 7th grader getting his arm broken by some 6 ft 190lb cheater.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Italian [lacrosse] Out Cruising.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Italian [lacrosse] Out Cruising.

I drove a 5.0 Mustang, do I count as a LI cry baby?

My son is an 8th grader, 5'11" and about 155 lbs. Over the summer he was on the bigger side for kids his age as soon as Fall ball started he was middle of the pack to even small (yes we did play Edge Lacrosse). I was absolutely fine with him playing against bigger, older kids but when I knew they were older before agreeing to play. He had been asked to play with an older team, so I knew what he would be up against. When his team played Edge Lacrosse, I had no idea they were older but I could see they were not just taller but also "filled out"....beefier, more mature physically. The problem I see is some of the kids on his team are small, even tiny and because there is an age difference, its really not fair or safe for them to be playing against older, bigger, faster kids.

One solution? Why doesn't every program agree to register their teams in a younger bracket across the board? Pre-empting the clubs registering all of their teams down a division (Edge..who else?).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did edge play in dicks this past week if that is an age based tourney?lost to igloo in the final.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did edge play in dicks this past week if that is an age based tourney?lost to igloo in the final.

They encourage their older players to play down, not U11 because they aren't in recruiting ages. They clearly state on their website that this practice is recommended for their students to get recognition for recruiting purposes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You LI dads are obsessed over nothing. The entire lacrosse community outside of STRONG ISLAND laughs at you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You LI dads are obsessed over nothing. The entire lacrosse community outside of STRONG ISLAND laughs at you.

They say that about the scam artist that laughs all the way to the bank... enjoy the laughing- cheaters will be cheaters and we still win playing the older kids that can not make it with their aged peers- after all- that is the only reason why you would repeat- no? If they could- they would stay right where they were meant to be.

Like Reply Quote
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard