BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Long pole
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If other travel and PAL teams are using long poles in 4th grade then you would be a foolish coach to discourage your player from using one. With that being said, there is absolutely no reason to get one a year early to get used to it. He'll get used to it in 4th grade just like everyone else.

"Because other teams are using long poles" is a terrible reason to allow your 3rd/4th graders to use a pole. Let the kid develop his feet and instincts instead of relying on the pole as most end up doing. Ignore other teams and let the kid learn to play D with a short stick. Just my 2 cents.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If other travel and PAL teams are using long poles in 4th grade then you would be a foolish coach to discourage your player from using one. With that being said, there is absolutely no reason to get one a year early to get used to it. He'll get used to it in 4th grade just like everyone else.

"Because other teams are using long poles" is a terrible reason to allow your 3rd/4th graders to use a pole. Let the kid develop his feet and instincts instead of relying on the pole as most end up doing. Ignore other teams and let the kid learn to play D with a short stick. Just my 2 cents.

I often have my young defensemen practice without a stick entirely. My mantra is, you shouldn't even need a stick to play effective defense. I must agree with the guy above, who cares what other teams or coaches are doing or saying?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing with them is not the issue. SHOULD they play with them is the issue!

This started with the question from a kid 7 or 8 years old. No way that age should be using a pole.

At 7 or 8 I am not even sure they should be using a regulation ATT length. You have to cut that down.

My son is a very good player for his age (8) who uses both hands well and we've cut his stick down 2 inches. he plays D quite a bit and we were told by the coach that the long pole is a terrible idea for at least a couple more years. And this guy is a HS Varsity Coach. so I think he knows what he is talking about.

Amen. Go ahead bring out a long pole you jack [lacrosse]. Instead listen many of us have been through this. Cut the darn stick down and have him use quick feet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Both sides have good points. I have played every position. If these are club lacrosse crazies posting, I am sure the long pole will not be the only stick in the house. I never understood the hostility in the responses about having a stick a little longer (and heavier) if that is what excites the child. If having a long pole is going to keep a stick in his hands then it cant be all bad. Realistically, the stick can not be longer then 60 inches so it has to be cut anyway and shouldn't be taller then the player. But it takes tremendous strength to wield a pole, beginning to build those muscles and fell the weight isn't bad either. My .02.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question for those out there that would know. My sons xmas list is very short. Really doesn't want much. He does want a pole which i got him. He's in 4th grade now and just thinks they look cool, who knows if he ends up using it. Question is it needs to be cut down- Can anyone tell me what length i should make it, head included? Thanks in advance.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has to be total 5' for 5th grade PAL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having read the various philosophies, if you are comfortable putting a pole in the hands of a young player, the entire pole, including the head, should just about come up to the eyebrow/forehead of the child when the pole is stood on end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if he wants touse a long pole at his age it should be cut so the head of the stick is about the heightof his forhead. It should be no taller than he is. If itis to big he will not use it properly and itwill hang at his side which will defeat the purpose of having a longer stick and he will lose the ball handling ability.

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard