Originally Posted by Anonymous
And you get your data how ? ALL ? Your wrong buddy. Understand that it is a different time now. Some kids are committing before they even get to play on Varsity. So you data doesn't justify your opinion.

And it appears that some of these recent early commits are getting the stink eye from the varsity and assistant coaches. It would seem that they are a bit put off by the fact that a club player can be committed without ever having played for them. Kind of minimizes their self imposed "I am the master of the gateway to college lax in (insert your town here)"

How dare a player allow him or herself to be committed without the input of the exalted HS lax coach and staff. Neal and prepare to be beheaded as an example to those who follow.

Then the abuse starts in a classic passive / aggressive manner towards said players by HS coaches who I thought were bound by the same ZERO TOLERANCE to bullying laws that schools abide by. Above the law is where they operate in order to knock down kids who have accomplished a considerable amount prior to entering HS.

It's disgusting. Period.

WOW - dude it is the hap hap happiest time of the year, take it down a notch, we went from "guy is old and should retire" to early commits are being bullied buy HS coaches. somebody didn't get hugged enough as a kid.

I understand how that may have come across and wasn't trying to be a bah humbug!
But the Scrooges that are some HS coaches need to be held to the same level of zero tolerances for bullying behavior.

How pitifully common is it that we as parents and school administrators alike tend to turn the other cheek when we witness these behaviors in those that we place the care of our kids? Especially when that kid is in a traditionally powerhouse program. We look the other way; don't want to rock the boat for fear of being blackballed by the God that is the HS Varsity lax coach. Woe be unto he that nudges the pedestal that the community has placed him upon. His wraith or fear of such is enough to keep our mouths shut in hopes that he will ultimately grant a nod of approval and perhaps make a call to a college or two in our kid's favor.

Further and deeper the fear is for those families not fortunate enough to be able to pay the ransom fees to get ones kid into a great club program and or private coaching to further their child's growing skills. Thus; the parents must rely on the HS coach and feed his ego along with many others, all the while swallowing the bile of witnessing extreme verbal and psychological as well as subliminal abuses that the kids must endure. Again in hopes of being smiled down upon for their expected servitude

My son was extremely fortunate to be committed very early to an elite academic institution, yet must still cower to the bully like behavior that comes with being in a great lacrosse HS historically.

I wonder then, just who is ultimately responsible for the propagation of these abusive coaching trends? The school? The administrators? The families? Or the child him or herself?

Staying in abusive relationships is akin to running a psychological gauntlet. This has been well easblished in the media as of late.

With all of this in mind; honestly ask yourself if you've not seen such behaviors at one time or another in HS sports. And you looked the other way be it for your kid or someone else's

You are lying to yourself if you say you haven't.

We are all guilty for allowing this to continue. But we tell ourselves that the payoff; if there is one, however remote, is worth it.

But ask your kid: Is it worth it?

I expect. The "you gotta toughen up your kid up and take the lumps as they come" brigade to chime in; but seriously, where is the line drawn if it ever will be?

My kid got lucky just have to keep himbetweenthe knew and he is on auto pilot....but what about all of the rest who must put all of their lax eggs in one basket and hope the bully coaches don't crush them or their dreams?

Think about it. You all know a kid or kids living and playing under those circumstances be it on his or her team or another that you've witnesses.

We can't just keep shaking our heads as we walk away muttering " I'm glad that's not my kid's coach"

That makes us all complicit in this crime, if you will.