Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You do realize that many sports are setup this way now correct? Girls club lacrosse has been for years. AAU basketball has been for years. I am going out on a limb here and saying that most kids that are older in AAU are not MIAA holdbacks. Are they a special select group also?

This is from AAU's website

The AAU is a grade based organization.  Each grade division consists of a 24 month age window which determines an
athletes’ participation in that division.  If an athletes’ age is outside the 24 month window for their grade, the athlete
must play up to the grade division that is normal and customary for their age.  If an athlete is in any grade above what is
normal and customary for their age, an athlete may play down provided they meet the established criteria listed in the
chart below.

And what makes that a cogent argument against age based teams? Basketball is not a sport where kids are playing in helmets and other protective gear. Girls lacrosse is 90%+ school based, girls clubs only started in last 1-3 years. Many sports? You named two and one isn't even a club sport. Clown.

with regard to girls lax, previous poster is right and you are the clown. I have daughter who is soph in college started playing club lax in 6th grade. it was around before then. not sure what you mean by 90% school based but the list of non-school affiliated of girls lacrosse clubs is as longs as the boys. it's not so much an argument against age-based as it is an acknowledgement that grade is not much different than the u13,u15 system that has been in place since the Bacharach helmets. poster above references 8th grade event that had 16 yr playing vs. 13yr. Sounds bad until you consider maybe the 16 yr has Sept bday and 13 yr olds turn 14 in summer. 16 vs. 13 could be as little as 12 months & 1 day difference or max of 24 months and 30day - which would be within the age parameters if said tournament was u15. The inferences that somehow Crabs and/or MIAA schools are behind some grand conspiracy to change youth lax to grade is silly. They seemed to be going with the flow that others started. I'm no Crabs insider or supporter. I di think it would be great to see leagues and tournaments that are arranged by grade use to example of AAU 24 month age window