Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You do realize that many sports are setup this way now correct? Girls club lacrosse has been for years. AAU basketball has been for years. I am going out on a limb here and saying that most kids that are older in AAU are not MIAA holdbacks. Are they a special select group also?

This is from AAU's website

The AAU is a grade based organization.  Each grade division consists of a 24 month age window which determines an
athletes’ participation in that division.  If an athletes’ age is outside the 24 month window for their grade, the athlete
must play up to the grade division that is normal and customary for their age.  If an athlete is in any grade above what is
normal and customary for their age, an athlete may play down provided they meet the established criteria listed in the
chart below.

And what makes that a cogent argument against age based teams? Basketball is not a sport where kids are playing in helmets and other protective gear. Girls lacrosse is 90%+ school based, girls clubs only started in last 1-3 years. Many sports? You named two and one isn't even a club sport. Clown.

Seriously? AAU basketball is the absolute equivalent to club lacrosse. The kids play together for years as they move up through school. They go play in tournaments all summer in front of college coaches. Kids switch schools and reclass all the time to be in a better recruiting situation. Many AAU teams are run by people just looking to make money and take advantage of the culture. You're right though. I'm the clown. That doesn't sounds anything like the club lacrosse culture. But I guess since they aren't MIAA rich kids that are pushing your son off a team it isn't something you notice/care about.

And what rock do you live under that girls club lacrosse just started 1-3 years ago? Girls lacrosse is more like 10% school based. Ever heard of M&D, Skywalkers, Yellow Jackets?? Been around longer than most boys clubs and have been grade based most of that time. And read some of the Yellow Jacket/LI Top Guns threads. The girls game is 100x more cut throat then the boys.

Point is, that this is the way the game works these days. No matter how stupid it is, and no matter how unlikely it is that little Johnny is going to get a lax scholarship, the parents(Not Ryan) are going to work for every angle they can to put their kids in best situation. I have 3 kids that are on age for their grade and have never seen a game between top clubs where kids were in danger because there was someone 5 months older. The dangers I have seen are when less skilled players are standing over a ball and get train wrecked. This is on the club owners and the parents of the kids that shouldn't be out there.

Are there any studies that show an increase in injuries in the last few years and if so is this at all related to the 5 or 6 holdbacks on the team involved?