Originally Posted by Anonymous
What irks me about the situation is that Cascade sold a bill of goods tha it could not deliver on. After STX published its results, NOCSAE did its own testing and found the helmets did not pass the certification standards. Cascade couldn't provide NOCSAE with the required test data (I don't know if they didn't run all the tests or whether they lost the results) so NOCSAE pulled their cert. That worked as it should and I have no problem with that.

Now, however, Cascade is shipping NOTHING. Not the CPR-X, not the Pro7. Nothing. Its going to be several weeks before they resume shipping, if they do. To me (and I believe to NOCSAE) this raises a big red flag that other helmets in the Cascade product line don't pass muster either. Maybe we'll know something by the end of the year. Or maybe not. I predict that there is going to be a big scramble for certified helmets pretty soon. I hope Cascade gets their certification straightened out because the mess that will result if they don't could be awfully problematic.

I tend to agree with you...They would be selling CPX-Rs like hotcakes because some people just need a conforming helmet and will buy it and then try to get a refund later on their R. The paramount issue is safety but now you have the secondary issue of impacting a kid's ability to participate in certain events. Sure you may say the R is safer than what you wore 20 years ago and therefore it is ok for your kid to continue to wear it. However, it is not just up to you as a parent, because we are now hearing about tournaments and showcases refusing to allow kids to play if they use one of these helmets. Do you want to spend $$$ flying to some showcase only to find out your kid can't play with an R? And spring lax will be here before you know it with all the schools afraid of liability and refusing participation to all those nonconforming helmet users. If you cannot now purchase a CPX-R either then what happens? ANSWER: STX's evil plan plays out and people flock to the Stallion if it turns out to be the only top quality helmet that is both conforming AND available for purchase. On some level such an outcome would make me ill....but it could happen.