Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This news clip is alarming...more than twice the allowable limit?! Yikes.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/popular-lacrosse-helmets-fail-to-protect-athlete%E2%80%99s-skulls/vp-9fba49a8-5bda-4afb-817b-37dee73cb096

Now given this, how in good conscience could Cascade be feeding the retail channel with some story about how this is all linked to the paperwork or the instruction manual which was not updated from the CPX to the R? Did that NOCSAE guy speaking sound like this was no big deal and is going to be straightened out soon? No. In a word he said at some fitted ranges taking impact wearing this helmet will result in fractured skull which would be prevented if the helmet was conforming to the certification standards.

It's over. Bye bye Cascade.

Nothing different in this tv news report than what we've already been told. Still, what is lacking is a real world understanding of what the testing and the numbers mean. So many people are in a panic about this issue without truly understanding what the difference is between certified and non-certified helmets. How much force is 2700 SI, as mentioned? I have no clue. Lacrosse is not football, hence the lighter helmet. Heck, the women don't even wear a helmet and their play can be very physical.

The R has been out for a while now and it's used primarily by bigger and stronger players. Does anyone know a kid who has had his head cracked open while wearing the R? I would be much more concerned if the decertification was the result of numerous complaints about injuries sustained while playing with the helmets in question. Instead, it was brought about by a competitor who happens to have an exec on the NOCSAE board.

I've got no connection to Cascade or Warrior and am concerned about the safety of my son, just like everyone else. The whole situation just smells fishy to me and I think it's just prudent to wait and see right now, if you can.