Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son and a few of his other team mates that wear the R have sustained serious cuts on the bridge of their nose that required plastic surgeon to repair. there is a very noticible difference with the leading inside edge of the R and the CPX R. Has anyone experienced or heard of nose injuries? I

If this happened, they are not wearing the helmet properly. Can't just throw strap on and go play. You have to go on site and see how the helmet should be sized and set. This took me an hour with my son's R to get it perfect.

I have been a loyal Cascade customer for years, but what you wrote takes me to the other side. If this happened as you wrote, then Cascade helmets are not NOCSAE certified or safe. After a lot of thought and reading the excellent articles tagged by posters on this site, I conclude this is a manufacturer's problem for this reason: you cannot make an argument that a common use of this helmet with variance in the orientations (tilting the beak back or forth, and then clamping that user position secure with the chin straps) is anything but a manufacturer's deficiency. We can't say Cascade is in the clear because common use of their product under unsafe orientations that the design of the product does not constrict. In the design those variables cannot happen. I doubt any kid with a nose or other head trauma injury knew or should have known that helmet tilt -- however minor -- results in a non-certified and unsound product. Cascade didn't overtly recognize and warn against this until a few weeks ago, and even when they had for a brief time before the NOCSAE news it remains not adequate. The Cascade helmet is not a certified safe product because user strapped on orientations variance cannot acceptably go on. The design to AVOID this needs to be better for the product to be safe no different than the impact protection materials in the helmet need to have conforming qualities. Variables in end use means a non conforming helmet NOCSAE cannot keep certified.