Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kid has committed early --true 2018. I don't really understand why anyone cares other than my family. He got a very good deal at a very strong academic and lax school. We spent two days there and loved the school and the coach.

People have said it is too early--for us it is perfect, for you too early. what if the coach quits? we will meet the new coach and if it is a fit and if that coach wants my son on the same terms we will stay. If not, he will call the other five that wanted him. what if the coach renegs? I guess that can happen and we will deal with it then, but my opinion, and one of the reasons we chose that school, the coach has a stellar reputation and I think he is a good man...

What is the harm to you or anyone if my kid commits early? Your kid doesn't have to, he should just tell coaches (if any are interested) that he will not be ready to make decisions until he is in 11th grade...so why do you care what/when my son commits? I suspect that more often than not, the people who complain are the one's staying up the night after a prospect day or fall tourney waiting for that call from the club, but it just hasn't come yet...

For all of you that fall in that camp, I really wish you good luck and hope you get the call. It is exciting!

I have never been a D-1 athlete so I have no experience to compare. While we are proud of my son, I have others that also aren't athletically gifted but excell in other things. Let your kid choose his passion and he/she will succeed. Choose it for them and they will quit/fail...

early recruiting is good for my family but that doesn't mean it is good for yours.

It may be good for you and I would be a happy person in your shoes.
But early recruiting is changing lacrosse. I dont think it is for the better . Explosion of clubs in Baltimore will destroy rec travel lax here in Baltimore in the next few years. Only club teams will have decent teams. Look at soccer in Balt. Only club soccer is any good. I will be surprised if there is even a MYLA in three years. Early recruiting cant be the only blame but it has facilitated it. Another result is having your child held back . Without being on a club in 4th -8thgrade the lax parents know Johnny hasnt a shot at a scholarship or getting into his school of choice. So it maybe good for you and 100 families but all of lacrosse suffers from this early recruiting.