Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think the biggest problem today is that parents indulge their kids emotions rather managing them. If a kid is still developing and doesn't play as much as other kids, it's definitely "old school" for a parent to say you need to work harder, wait your turn, be ready when the time comes and take nothing for granted. Instead, many modern parents "share" their concern and then their kids may "stop having fun" because they (and their parents) expect (them) to be a star and they are not, yet. Anyway, at least at the MS level and where you have a good coach that doesn't forget to make the game fun even as he expects them to work hard, that's my perspective on why kids "burn out."

I like your perspective. I am a coach for my sons (3) teams, and I don't favor any kids, including my own. They have to earn their time on the field as they get older. At the younger ages, all kids should play as evenly as possible and in multiple positions.
But all along the way, there will always be kids that are better: better stick skills, field sense, stronger, faster, etc.
Athletics can parallel life in general. You might not be as fast, as strong, etc, but if you work hard you will always compete.
Keeping it fun for the kids is the main thing.