2012 New [lacrosse] Girls' High School Preview via ESPN

Class A

Baldwinsville (N.Y.) returns two All-Central New [lacrosse] Second Team selections in Claire and Maggie Monnat. The attackers look to help Baldwinsville improve upon its 13-5 season and avenge its two losses to West Genesee last season.

Bay Shore (Bay Shore, N.Y.) returns six starters from last year's team, including USC commit Caroline DeLyra and Under Armour Underclass All-American Kaitlyn Arnold.

Corning (N.Y.) finished at No. 38 in last year's FAB 50 and returns midfielder Haley Lukefahr who represented Upstate New [lacrosse] at the Under Armour Underclassmen games.

Farmingdale (N.Y.) returns six players that have committed to Division I programs. The Dalers only two losses last season were to the New [lacrosse] Class A and B champions (Northport, Garden City) so the Dalers should have a stellar season in store for 2012. The offense should be strong again with the seniors Kim Kolodny (Rutgers), Colleen Reynolds (Fairfield), Megan Sullivan (Stony Brook) and junior Amanda Turturro (Rutgers).

Lakeland-Panas (Shrub Oak, N.Y.) returns eight starters from last year's 16-3-1 team, including Division I commits: Alexa Bonnes (Connecticut), Chyna Hill (Fresno State) along with midfielder Emma Bozek who is committed to North Carolina for field hockey.

Niskayuna (N.Y.) finished 15-5 last season. Three of the Warriors losses were by a combined four goals a stat that could turn around in 2012 with the return of ESPNHS 100 midfielder Kayla Treanor.

Northport (N.Y.) was talented last season, finishing as the No. 8 team in the FAB 50 and winning the Class A state championship. As talented as the Tigers were last year, 2012 could be even better. Led by the No. 1 junior in the nation and the youngest player on the US U-19 team, Cortney Fortunato (Notre Dame), Northport boasts an impressive lineup. Six seniors are committed to Division I programs, including two goalies Michaela Aymong (Richmond) and Meghan Kollmeier (UMass). The goalies have a strong defense in front of them with Amanda Desmond (Iona) and Annie Dodge (Siena).

Ward Melville (East Setauket, N.Y.) finished 11-7 last season, its first winning record in three seasons. 2012 could be a continued improvement with four players committed to Division I programs, including seniors Jordan Porretto (St. Francis) and Elizabeth Rullan (Navy).

West Genesee (Camillus, N.Y.) returns its top five midfielders, top three defenders and two of its top three attackers from last year's 19-1 team. Eight current Wildcats have committed to play college lacrosse, including three ESPNHS 100 players: Emily Tripodi (31), Shelby Milne (52) and Kara Dattellas (55).

Class B

Carthage (Carthage, N.Y.) returns eight starters from last year's 12-7 team. The offense should be strong this season with Adilen Cruz (Belmont Abbey), Alyssa Kidder (Liberty) and Meghan Serota (LeMoyne) returning to the midfield and attack.

Fox Lane (Beford, N.Y.) returns seven starters from last year's 16-1 squad, including North Carolina commit and ESPNHS 100 athlete Sammy Jo Tracy. Three players overall from the Foxes are committed to D-I programs: Kate Burbank (North Carolina), Kailey O'Hagan (Cornell) and Tracy.

Garden City (N.Y.) graduated nine seniors from last season's No. 2 FAB 50 team, but the Trojans will reload in 2012. Nine players are committed to Division I programs, including ESPNHS 100 athletes Alexandra Bruno (Princeton) and Catherine Dickinson (Pennsylvania). The Trojans talent level combine with its schedule that includes St. Anthony's should make the Trojans a favorite to FAB 50 voters in addition to the favorite to repeat as Class B state champions for the seventh straight season. The defense is anchored by Top 50 junior Linda Attanasio.

Hauppauge (N.Y.) returns 10 starters, including eight future Division I players, from a team that finished 19-1 and reached the Class B quarterfinals. Two ESPNHS 100 players lead the Eagle; No. 8 Stephanie Peragallo (Notre Dame) and No. 14 Taylor Ranftle (Virginia).

Manhasset (N.Y.) boasts the No. 3 player in the ESPNHS 100 with the return of attacker Halle Majorana (Maryland). Two of Manhasset's losses last season were to Garden City, so the Indians will likely have another chance at the Trojans if both teams make it to the Section 11 final.

Last year was a year of adjustments for Shoreham-Wading River (Shoreham, N.Y.). The Wildcats moved to Class B last season after dominating Class C during the previous four seasons and also had a new coach on the sideline when Mary Bergmann took over for Bob Vlahakis. 2012 could be a better year with the return of Northwestern commit Meredith Bushell and Ohio State commit Paulina Constant. The juniors should help anchor the midfielder while senior Katie Boden (UMass) leads the attack.

Class C

Lafayette (Lafayette, N.Y.) returns 10 starters, including its starting attack (Cassley Jackowski and Emily Peebles) and goalie (Shannon Knapp) from a team that won its first league title and reached the sectional quarterfinals last season.

CHSAA

Sacred Heart Academy (Hempstead, N.Y.) won 10 of its final 12 games last season with the two losses coming at the hands of St. Anthony's. The Spartans could challenge for the CHSAA title again this season with five seniors heading to play Division I lacrosse. The offense should be strong with attackers Meghan Breen (UMass), Ashley Ruchalski (Siena) and Maeve Quinn (Fairfield) all returning.

St. Anthony's (South Huntington, N.Y.) looks to win its fourth-straight CHSAA championship and with eight starters returning will be the favorite. Twelve players on the Friars squad have committed to play Division I lacrosse, including two ESPNHS 100 selections -- Annie Heagerty (Georgetown) and Darcy Messina (Florida). The junior class is equally talented with two ESPNHS Top 50 juniors -- Maggie Bill (North Carolina) and Jenny Schwalje (Georgetown). The Friars schedule is not entirely set yet, but the team will play in the St. Paul's Play Day weekend where they will play two of the top Maryland teams -- either Bryn Mawr (Baltimore, Md.), Good Counsel (Olney, Md.), McDonogh (Owings Mills, Md.) or St. Paul's (Brooklandville, Md.).