Originally Posted by Anonymous
Depends on how many holdbacks on Crabs team?? More holdbacks better the odds. and how many holdbacks on other teams reduces the odds. Need to know these things first.

Dude, they're 5th graders. There aren't holdbacks. There are some kids that went to pre-first, but those kids were born in the summer so they are only a month or two older than my son who has a September birthday and would be on age.

When you dont go in the grade you are supposed to Sept 1 in MD, it is called holding your child back. Whether it is kindergarten or 9th grade the child was held back. It is great that the MIAA parents can hold all their summer babies back but the majority of MD does not. And all prefirst arent summer babies, some are older than that , You son born in Sept sees no issue, but the child born in May,June,July and Aug does at young ages. Why do these children get shafted??? Where is their prefirst exception to apply for?? So dude it is an advantage at young youth level. and not in the spirit of youth athletics. No worries tho, Uncle Ryan says it is OK and encourages it.

Do you honestly think these kids are put in prefirst for athletic reasons? That's ridiculous. They have no idea whether the kid will be an athlete. I agree that there is an issue when kids are repeating grades in middle school so that they can be bigger in sports, my older son lost his spot to a holdback that was repeating 8th grade this year. But, when talking 5th graders, none of these kids were "held back" so that they could dominate on the lacrosse field.