From Jim Donovan, President of NJJLL

With the tragic passing of the 12 yr. old lacrosse player in Upstate New [lacrosse], Commotio Cordis awareness, prevention and definition leads the discussion of youth lacrosse. I think I can speak for all of us in the NJJLL that our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

We as a league, urge each of our programs to stay diligent in when dealing with the safety of our players. Concussion awareness and commotio cordis are two topics that all of our coaches must be educated on, and trained. Although, commotion cordis is a rare event that needs to be triggered at the right time, devices and proper training should be in place if this does occur.

Portable defilbulators have proven a powerful tool in treatment. I strongly urge that each program invest in this powerful tool. I realize that it comes with a heavy price tag but in the event that it’s needed, you’ll be grateful for that investment.

Program directors need to insure that all coaches are educated on these safety issues; I have included a link about commotion cordis. Please read it and further educate yourselves on this subject. We will be discussing this at our coaches’ clinic on March 11th and throughout the year. We have been in contact with a company that manufactures AED’s (the device that seems to be the best effective treatment of commotion cordis.)

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/902504-treatment

I wish everyone a fantastic season

Sincerely

Jim D, President,NJJLL

jdonovan@njlacrosse.com
seamusdonovan@yahoo.com