Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not taking any sides here, but just honestly would like to know the pros/cons of verbally committing early. Do kids who commit as juniors take their SATs early and know what financial aid they are going to get? I am also curious about the 2013 player, i thought kids couldn't be contacted before the junior year. Again, not judging or anything, I am just trying to figure the whole process out. Thanks.
All verbal commitments for juniors are subject to both Board Score approval (SAT, ACT, and/or SAT II at some schools) and continued academic success (GPA) in senior year.

A junior year verbal commitment can come along with either a PSAT score as an indication of expected performance or a late sophomore/early junior year sitting for the SAT. This is not a requirement for a verbal commitment or roster spot offer, but it can help your case and ease the college coach's concerns.

Financial aid is not discussed as yet although expecations for an athletic scholarships might have been covered. Here, a college coach will bid low (perhaps 0.25 scholarship) with incrementally more money added at signing time based on the college's full year financial picture.

As for the NCAA Rules and Regulations, these are covered on the College Board here on BOTC and specifically state that while a college coach cannot call a recruit in their junior year, the student-athlete can call the coach and engage in a conversation.