Originally Posted by Anonymous
""The fairest system would be the one that soccer uses. Age by single year - u9,u10,u11,u12 etc. But the grade system detractors seem only to focus the holdbacks. In my opinion the 2nd fairest system is Grade. BTW my kids are in public schools, are in the proper grade age and 1 has a summer bday.""

The right system and the one that parents and children know is the fairest is obviously age based at the youth level. Grade based might be the next fairest in most parts of the country as the holdback mentality isn't so prevalent. Most parts of the country children aren't regularly held back due to a late birthday. Maryland private schools and their parents have taken holding children back to a new level. And while there is plenty with Summer Birthdays , there are plenty with birthdays earlier including prior year. Why do these select players enjoy a benefit others dont at youth level. There is many children that could use the same benefit. If it was here and there with holdbacks , no one would care, but there will be teams with many holdbacks on them . Goes against everything that is right in youth sports, letting select kids get an advantage. I have children in MIAA school and know all about the massive amount of children heldback.

I agree, when on age boys start to hit puberty it is dangerous enough for the kids who have not started yet, my son was a 14 year old 98 lb 8th grader playing with other 14 year-olds who were 180 lbs and shaving. That was unavoidable.

Guess what, plenty of age appropriate kids are getting offers, unless your child is so underdeveloped it is socially an issue or academically challenged you shouldn't hold them back. If they are academically challenged an extra year of 8th grade is very unlikely to change their IQ, so plying a D1 sport might not be a good idea in college if you would like them to get a degree.