Alright, I'll bite. My son is 13 and a 2019 player for a MD club team. I will say that the "hold backs" are annoying to many parents and kids, and I do think there are some safety risks associated with doing this depending on the age group.
BUT...the hold backs are a result of the private schools here in MD and NOT because of the Crabs, FCA, or any of the other elite team in the state. The clubs have no control over this, and why wouldn't they pick up a player that tried out and is in the correct grad year class? There is a biased towards the Crabs, but let's be real, the Crabs are the destination of choice by many of the elite players so naturally you may see more playing for them. I've been to many tournaments, and seen what appear to be grown men running down the field on a 2019 team. LI teams, Texas teams, VA teams, MD teams, it happens everywhere. The whole MD vs LI thing is all bs, there are good players in both places and the fact that a team beat another team 1 year in 1 tournament means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Teams change every year at this level and will for another few years. So, get over it. It's a fact of life and it does not look like things will change any time soon.