Originally Posted by libertydad
Not knowing what clubs you tried out for I can still understand your point. being at most try outs myself, I can guess witch ones your talking about, because most of the better clubs don't run scrimmages for just that reason. It is unfair and to me shows a young inexperienced director that already knows who they want on a roster. In other words , she never had a chance. If I can offer some advice, I have been to Y.J. , 91 , Top Guns, Suffolk County All Stars , Liberty , and F.L.G. , Wave and T.O.G.Z don't have try outs and I have never been to Oilers or Elevate. and I have never seen a director hold a more fair tryout than Liberty ,so if you think your daughters a good player and you want a fair opinion Liberty might be the club for you. And to answer the statements I know are coming , no she doesn't just take Manhasset girls , In fact i've seen her demote some and cut some, something Y.J. doesn't do Express
Originally Posted by Anonymous
libertydad, for the most part I respect what you have to say on this forum but have to respectfully disagree with your last opinion on tryouts. Have a daughter that has tryout for two different clubs. first tryout did all the drills,did them well but when it came to the scrimage part of the tryout failed to touch the ball (open many times but looked off in favor of a teamate or friend)did not make the club. 2nd tryout came with a group of what i would call better players ( based on observations made in games leading up to tryout)that day she was the best player on the field as per most observers. she made the club. so my point is that the tryout is not allways a fair indication of a players true talent when the group is so evenly talented. anyway she chose to play with a smaller club that took her based on her body of work

Why would you go to every tryout? That's weird! Drills themselves don't show enough. Without scrimmages how do you know if a kid can apply the skills? Some kids can add but cannot solve a promlem involving adding.