Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I was very surprised to see Casey Powell in Inside Lacrosse this month call for the end of face offs after goals. "I think they should face off at the beginning of each quarter and that's it. The fact that the ball gets stuck in the back of their stick is ridiculous. I think that should be illegal."

I can't say I disagree after seeing some really 1 dimensional players impacting a game greatly when they are only on the field 5 seconds at a time,

Somehow they need to make it more of a 50-50 contest or just give the ball to the team that was scored on.

I saw an indoor league with fast restarts where the goalie goes right into a clear after being scored on. It worked great. The game was a lot faster.

First of all, it is a lost possession if the ball gets stuck in the stick...

Second, if there are 15 face offs in a game, and each one last less than 10 seconds, that is 2.5 minutes of game time associated with a face off...If you were to simply give the ball to the scored upon team, they would have 20 seconds to cross midfield and then 10 more to get in the box (this would bring stalling to a new level) so eliminating that aspect will not make the game faster but will actually make it slower with teams spending twice as much time riding after each goal. eliminating face off will create a slower game with more turnovers.

I completely agree with shot clock, once a team has possession, they have 30 seconds to put a shot on the cage. that will make the game faster....
I disagree about the slowing down aspect, if ball is awarded to team that just gave up goal, then the team that just had the ball will have all shorties at midfield still on field, the goalie will get the ball up field immediately to try for a break or at very least keep other team from subbing for a LSM. This also eliminates the time that the refs take to get ball to faceoff x and teams making subs. Constant motion.