Originally Posted by Anonymous
The one thing you all seem to forget is that differet states have different age cutoffs for Kindergarten. In LI it is Dec. 31 and in MD/VA most districts are 9/1. So if your kid is a July/Aug birthday you might hold them back then so they are better prepared for school. Very few kids are held back after that. The difference in the cutoff dates makes more of a impact than you think. On my sons team which is one of the teams mentioned there is only one kid that was held back after kindergarten or reclassed.

Yup. And California is September too. We have a son who turned 12 in September who is in 6th grade by the rules and not by our determination. Frankly I would be offended it anyone said he's a cheater or we are, but let's stop wasting time...the LI posters are trolling. Don't feed the trolls.
here is the funniest thing about us Long Islanders, the big time clubs both boys and girls (Express, 91, Yellow Jackets, Top Guns) do nothing but brag about how good they are. If you read any of the forums from any of those clubs you will see post after post how team A is so dominate that the only way they can find any real competition is to play up 1 or 2 age groups, But when a team from Maryland beats them they immediately start complaining about how you guys are cheating.
This is not to say that every parent from the afore mentioned clubs are complaining and crying about this topic, just the ones that either think the world revolves around Long Island and there precious little superstar, or can't stand losing so much that they must find a reason that there little superstar isn't the absolute best at everything
truth is both states are still producing the best Lacrosse players on the planet. Other states are starting to catch up but are not even close to what we can produce. The warm weather states think they will surpass us because they can play outside year round, But I think we easterners know the value of the inside game. Lets thank god for snow

In my opinion, the issue of freshman being recruited has made the cut off age a very hot topic. Just a yr or 2 ago they were recruiting jrs and face it jrs have matured a bit and are playing varsity. So colleges were generally looking at kids playing kids in their own geographic area with same age cut off dates. Everything good. Now flash forward to today where coaches need to see kids play on travel teams where cutoff dates are different and the kids from ny play much older kids in Maryland. Not fair but it is what it is. So I think this is just the beginning of seeing ny players reclassify sometime before 9th grade. Personally, we saw this coming from having older players and chose our child to repeat 8th grade. All doors are open for our child literally. We really don't care what our fellow LIers think because we know we did the right thing for our child. So my words of wisdom to players with late bdays in ny, if you don't align your child's bday with the rest of the hotbeds then accept the consequences and don't cry about it. It is what it is.

Or to put it a little differently, your son could not compete at his age. So you gamed the system and had him go down and play with the little kids. A very honorable choice for the sport. You should be very proud of what you taught your son. No chance this lesson you taught him will have any negative impact on his own decision making process in his adult life? Right? Ya know, just do anything to get ahead. Just as long as you're not breaking any specific rule, it's ok. That mind set should serve your son well in life. Sad.