Originally Posted by Anonymous
You cheated in the realm of academics to move your kid ahead. Yes I feel you should have had him in the current year. As the counselors stated their are those at the bottom and those at the top of each grade. You changed his stars to be at the top when he should have been at the bottom. You manipulated the natural order of things. Hence Cheated.

Whether we are talking 5th grade lax or when they are ready for college your child will be in a better spot than anothers because you intervened you cheated.

Just because you can, just because you wont go to jail, just because you did - doesn't mean you didn't cheat.

None of them "need" to be in a winter lax league. Point is my son likes lax. He was a late NOV baby and for the sake of less then 24 hours I was not going to have him be the youngest in his grade. That being said, according to US lax rules he was the appropriate age at their Aug cut off date. I have also been told by numerous people including Guidance Counselors that boys born in Oct Nov tend to make up the majority of their problems. I am sorry that you think I should have put my son in school so that your son could have more success in winter lax, but I really need to put him in the best position to achieve for the rest of his life.
You do realize that a player in 5th grade who was held back and could be in 6th is often also US lax eligible for the team his currently on. US lax cutoff is in either August or Sept , the schools are Dec 1
Lets get all the rosters out with birth dates (and original birth certificates) of all kids in "5Th grade" you would be amazed at how many should be in 6th grade I am sure every "5th grade" team travel or town has 1 or 2 that could be in 6th grade ......That is why we should transition to the U brackets (u-9, U-11, etc.) So until then all will have some kids who "Could" be in 5th grade but the parents did not hold back .

You do realize if a boy was held back already before 5th grade , maybe he doesn't need to be in a winter lacrosse league ?

You sound crazy. seriously crazy. We held our 10 yr old son out of starting a 2 yr old program until he was 3 and kept him on that track because he was the very end of the Nov. month- just days from the cut off. He does play lax and guess what- despite the fact that he is older, a few days then some and a few months by others, he is still a struggling learner and a less than avg athlete. The numbers of kids that actually rise to the top of their grade because they were held back is small. WHY? Because parents usually hold their kid back or start them later in school from the get go is because there is something keeping them from being with their peers, not because the majority of these parents want D1 scholarships. Ridiculousness... so if a few kids needed some extra time to learn how to talk, walk, get through a day without a nap- they should be pushed ahead so your avg to above avg son does not have to compete against them? Enjoy your kid with no issues- because obviously you have never been a parent of a child that needs some extra time to get by, fit in and be accepted by ones peers. The gift of a year gives these kids time to be a part of their "new" grade and not left behind and left completely out. You call those parents cheaters, I call them caring, smart, interested parents.