Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks Cage. Definitely helps. I understand your point, and we don't plan to correspond with the coaches, until it comes time to talk real specifics, like finances, etc. (probably 2 years from now). She did fill out about 8 questionnaires on her own last night. They were so repetitive, and there was nothing on them that needed her personal input at this point, or that had any connection to her. It was all just the same facts over and over.
Yes, the questionnaire phase can be that way. Typically, that data goes into a database managed by an assistant or recruiting coach. Effectively, it allows a list of interested candidates to be tracked - or perhaps an e-mail list for future camps. None the less, a mistake over the mile time is certainly not a major issue at this point and will be lost in a year's time.

So, to save her some time, I filled out a bunch today, while I had time. The mile time mistake came from her, not me. We previously (just two days before the questionnaires) emailed all the coaches (from her, not me), and attached a profile page, with her personal, school and club team information. Everything's coming from "her", as far as the coaches can see. Nothing from mom or dad.
Excellent - as BOTC has recommended, if you can set up a dedicated e-mail account for college recruitment purposes, you might find that you can remain more organized. By mailing coaches, it is clear that you have at least started working with your daughter on her Top Ten Academic and Athletic schools.

Being that she's only a freshman, the questionnaires are half blank as it is (no SAT's, GPA, HS stats, etc.), so I was thinking about just leaving things as-is, being that she'll need to update all that other info next year, or in the late spring, I guess.
The PSAT and PLAN (ACT pre-test) scores will occasionally be requested also as these are early indicators of Board Exam success.

That actually raises another question - when we have new information, or "faster" times, what should she do? Does she fill out the questionnaire all over again, or just email the coaches, with updates to the answers she originally gave, or left blank?
This is a huge non-issue as a freshman. No decision will ever be made on that mile time entry.

Back to my original dilemma - now that you know what we've done so far, do you think she should email each coach, specifically about the 30 second mistake on the mile time? She can't say her time improved, since it was just a few days ago. Maybe we wait until spring, and then send update emails, about her faster time? I'm not sure how critical that will be at this point, since so much other information is also missing, for now. What do you think?
She should e-mail the coach when she has something substantial to say - like at the point of the next showcase games at a recruiting event.

As always, thanks for your advice, and input!
It has been a pleasure - keep up the good work.