Originally Posted by Anonymous
So what you're saying is that all freshman are the same and get the same offer.
NCAA Rules and Regulations restrict the total number of Division I Lacrosse scholarships to 12.6 per men's team and 12.0 per women's team; it is the university's decision as to whether these programs are to be full funded to those levels. Given that most teams have more than 25 players, it is safe to say that the average award is a 0.5 scholarship or less. Since upper classmen will receive more than underclassmen, a freshman scholarship between 0.25 an 0.5 is a reasonable assumption.

Or, if they don't, their CONTRACT is renegotiated every year.
Yes, each year the contract is renewed and dollar amounts can and will be adjusted up and down. If a player is not playing as the coach expected or if additional money is needed elsewhere in the program (to recruit a potential top freshman, transfer, or goalie), the coach can and will cut awards "for the benefit of the team".

If you are a top tier recruit, why would you agree to that?
Why would you agree? Because such things happen AFTER you are already in the program with at least one year invested in the school and lacrosse team.

The fact is coaches tell the blue chippers that scholarships are not rescinded or reduced for lacrosse or even injury reasons, only disciplinary or academic reasons. If it s not a full offer, they tell them that they can only increase based on performance.
That is the message you hear ENTERING a program. Many programs will follow this methodology, but not all.

If the school does not honor that agreement, their word is diminished in a very small world. They will have difficulty making the next recruit who has many options to believe what they say is true. The top programs know that is a death sentence.
Key point is that how do incoming recruits find out about a deal "reneg"? How does that information get disseminated? There are very few forums like Back of the Cage where such cuts would gain visibility. Do you think a player who just had his/her award cut is going to stand up and say, "Hey World, look at me, my coach just took back money?"