I agree college coaches committing rising freshmen and sophomores has gotten out of hand. However, I don't think the trend is going to reverse itself anytime soon. That's because there's not much risk for the college coaches. Top D1 men's lacrosse programs bring in 12-14 recruits per year. If they completely swing and miss on 7-9 of them, that still gives them 5 recruits that they are happy with. On average, that gives them 20 players on the roster at any given time which is more than they need. And that's if they completely miss on 60% of their recruits. Most coaches of top D1 programs have been at it for sometime and I doubt they would be in their positions if they consistently missed on more than 60% of their recruits year in, year out. So, as long as the kids are willing to commit early, the coaches will be more than happy to take them.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think that college coaches committing sophomores is a huge mistake on there part. Like the previous post stated, what about late bloomers. N.D. took 5 players from a single squad that seemed almost unbeatable 2 years ago, but today falls somewhere in the top 5. Not nearly as strong or dominate not because there somehow lesser players, but because in the last year and a half, so many players have matured and caught up. College coaches, I feel, get fooled by players that get a lot of hype early because they reach varsity status early, or have personal connections to coaches in both the high school and college ranks. We must also remember that many highly touted players in high school also struggle for many reasons and disappear from the collegiate scene. This is a risk a coach is taking, I think, a little to lightly.