Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
I am girls lax official and was working the YJ LI elite tourn in Aug, competition is way down from other years. Its 50 YJ teams, some town teams and mayb weak conneticuit and westchester teams.
Uninformed commentary like this from an official is attrocious.

2011 Elite Showcase Teams

We suggest that you review the 2011 schedule and showcase competition. Regarding your comment about the "weakness" of the event, the bottom line is that 20+ significant college programs were represented. If the competition was so weak then many Long Island programs missed a great opportunity to shine.

Seriously, BOTC was at Mitchel Field for this Showcase. Our evidence is first hand.

I actually have to agree with the earlier comment for the most part (there are about 30 YJ teams not 50, but that was a huge percentage of the total teams).

Competition was much weaker than years past with almost no MD or NJ teams. Also no Liberty, No TG, and only a couple of younger LI Express teams.

Shortly after the tournament, I had asked what college coaches were actually there. No response other than Adelphi. I didn't see any.

I still think it's a nice event, but def not what it used to be. Some of it is probably the lateness of the event but I have to believe that there is some politics involved too.

People keep talking TG and Liberty. If these teams are so competative why don't they do any of the competative tournaments. Remember they are the ones that chose not to go, only makes you wonder.

I think you need to recheck your facts. They both do the competitive tournaments throughout the northeast, and some did very well, I know because I was there. If they didn't go to the tournaments, they would be out of business. Just look at their websites, plus I have seen a ton of their teams at the main recruiting tournaments throughout the years. They just chose not to go to the YJ tournament.