Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a parent of a child who loves the game, who has been involved in club lacrosse for awhile i can honestly say I am happy my time is coming to an end. I enjoy watching my son play. Just tired of the BS. My son isn’t very good. I have accepted it. It appears other teams have made it clear we accept it. Teams no longer keep kids at this stage just to keep kids. We have played on the same club team for the past three years. The team is brutal. But my son liked his teammates and we like the coaches. Now my son is no longer on this team. Not by choice. Perhaps a blessing in disguise? Perhaps the ownership group has grown tired of being the punching bag of club lax to other teams. Decided to bring in other players I don’t know. Been reading these posts from people about trying out for all the big name teams. My son is on the A team of this squad or this team is this or that. Must say the drama has been entertaining. I wish the kids nothing but success. Happy to be getting my Saturdays back.

I think this post really hits home for a lot of us. While I have really enjoyed the time with my kids, I too can’t wait for the travel scene to be over. And with fairly young kids in it, I have a ways to go. I’m tired of the shady club owners. I’m tired of the parents who love to bash other kids on their own team. I’m tired of the back door deals before you even show up to tryouts. I think a lot of us are tired of it all. The travel lacrosse scene has evolved into the modern era snake oil salesman. If you complain about it, they take it out on your kid. We keep doing it because our kids love the game……that’s it. If my kid told me tomorrow he didn’t want to play travel lacrosse anymore, I would be relieved. How sad is that

You just summed up travel lacrosse, sadly. The back door deals before tryouts especially rang true this year for my younger player. teams already knew who they were taking but held tryouts and made tons of money and regardless how your kid did he wasn’t making it. Parents were literally talking about it on the sidelines that their kid was already on the team.

The positives are the good friendships made between kids and sometimes adults. My kids still look forward to tournaments, they love to play.