Originally Posted by Anonymous
Maybe best route to change would be the college coaches signing a pact to only attend age based events and not to recruit before Jr year in HS.

Classic post - in one sentence you want to play age based but get recruited grade based.....lol..... so you want college coaches to volunteer to sign a pact that would make their job 100x's more difficult by making tournaments age based and then only let them start recruiting on a grade base.

Age based tournaments are never going to happen on the HS level and they should not. I don't want my 9th grader playing against 8th graders because they are the same age, I want my 9th grader to play against other 9th graders that he is competing with for recruiting - IMHO

Why not make it like hockey? Club is birth year all the way up, while high school is grade based. If a kid wants to take 2 extra years for high school, fine. But it shouldn't come at the expense of other players in club/youth sports. Only a fraction of club players are actually going D1, the rest are trying to have some fun and maybe, just maybe, get lucky and have a college coach at some level send them an email. It's for those kids that the sport needs rules. The top on age kids don't matter, they will compete just fine with holdbacks. But it's those bottom kids that are new to lax or are from developing lax areas that grow the game. If they come out to a tourney and get mauled by teams full of repeats, they aren't going to have much fun and are more likely to not only quit themselves, but also choose other sports for their own kids one day.

I agree about the small percentage of lacrosse players that will eventually play D1 but in lacrosse D1 is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and that is precisely why tournaments MUST stay grade based - so it can help the kids get recruited by playing against kids in their same HS graduation year

Hockey is aged based and that works for them because the pot of gold at the end of the hockey rainbow is the NHL draft for 17 year old kids and it is age based so kids playing against the same age are also competing with the kids they are competing with to get drafted

It's actually a reasonably large percentage of players who eventually play D1 -- this is a Long Island club thread.

Maybe best route to change would be the college coaches signing a pact to only attend age based events and not to recruit before Jr year in HS.

Classic post - in one sentence you want to play age based but get recruited grade based.....lol..... so you want college coaches to volunteer to sign a pact that would make their job 100x's more difficult by making tournaments age based and then only let them start recruiting on a grade base.

Age based tournaments are never going to happen on the HS level and they should not. I don't want my 9th grader playing against 8th graders because they are the same age, I want my 9th grader to play against other 9th graders that he is competing with for recruiting - IMHO

Why not make it like hockey? Club is birth year all the way up, while high school is grade based. If a kid wants to take 2 extra years for high school, fine. But it shouldn't come at the expense of other players in club/youth sports. Only a fraction of club players are actually going D1, the rest are trying to have some fun and maybe, just maybe, get lucky and have a college coach at some level send them an email. It's for those kids that the sport needs rules. The top on age kids don't matter, they will compete just fine with holdbacks. But it's those bottom kids that are new to lax or are from developing lax areas that grow the game. If they come out to a tourney and get mauled by teams full of repeats, they aren't going to have much fun and are more likely to not only quit themselves, but also choose other sports for their own kids one day.

I agree about the small percentage of lacrosse players that will eventually play D1 but in lacrosse D1 is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and that is precisely why tournaments MUST stay grade based - so it can help the kids get recruited by playing against kids in their same HS graduation year

Hockey is aged based and that works for them because the pot of gold at the end of the hockey rainbow is the NHL draft for 17 year old kids and it is age based so kids playing against the same age are also competing with the kids they are competing with to get drafted

Just admit that you're a cheater and want to make things easier for other cheaters.