Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If a recruitment year player is looking at a non typical college like Robert Morris, would the coach or director not go to bat for a kid if that college coach inquires, especially if the main players on the team have not committed to the "BIG" schools?

Second question is if a school comes to a coach with interest in a kid, but the kid is not one of the coaches favorites, does the coach still try to help that kid get into that program?

I am assuming the coach try's to give the positives of the kid as it still is a commitment to a college but I am interested to hear what happens.

My take…
1. Its not as clear cut as “schools get to pick in order of how good they are.” Directors SHOULD treat every kid individually. If RoMo wants info on a kid, the director should facilitate no matter where other kids are in the process. It should be best fit, not best school/lacrosse team.

2. Double edged sword. The director has to do right by the players and the college coaches. If he acts like a used car salesmen and tells a school how great, hardworking, etc., a kid is and then it turns out to be a complete lie, that coach won’t trust the club/director in the future.
I would anticipate the director is positive where he can be, but won’t compromise a long-term relationship with a school/coach.

I seriously hope no club director anywhere so petty that he won’t help a good player based on “not being a favorite”

I agree with this take.....I would like to ad to this by saying I wouldn't think a coach or director would actually down play a player even if he is on the bottom of the barrel as he obviously has some talent and maybe he will fit into a program that's not a big name as the others. Likewise, I hope they would not hold someone back to commit low level, just to get their stud to Harvard first. Just get them all committed if possible esp. if the college coach came asking.