Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would like to get some perspectives. Is it off that a coach only play 14 kids out of a full roster? Not just one game but multiple consecutive games? Not championship game and not top 20 teams. Even the kids on the field complained that they can't run anymore. Many if not most of the benched kids were not weaker players than many kids who played a full game, may be weaker than the best player on team but not compared to the 14th kid. To make this worse, both kids and parents were blind-sided.

Is it right? No. Does it happen too much? without a doubt. The girls who aren't playing are pretty much subsidizing those you are.

OP? Does your club have a policy about playing time? It might be something you should ask about prior to tryouts.
I believe most clubs state that playing time isn't guaranteed. It's based off many factors; including lacrosse skill and practice attendance/intensity. This is Club lacrosse, not rec lacrosse. A lot of girls getting the playing time put in extra training outside of scheduled practice. Unfortunately, some clubs accept players for financial support rather than lacrosse skill.

I know equal playing time is not guaranteed, nor should it be because like you said it is club and not rec. However, I don't think at this age there should be an entire tournament that goes by where kids never see the field. If a kid is that bad that being on the field for even a shoet amount of time can cause you to lose multiple games, then why are they on the team?

I think this is the right answer. It is a cowardly way for a coach/club to let a family know that it is time to move on. There are many other places to play 6th grade lacrosse and I am sure these girls can find a place easily.