Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would like to get some perspectives. Is it off that a coach only play 14 kids out of a full roster? Not just one game but multiple consecutive games? Not championship game and not top 20 teams. Even the kids on the field complained that they can't run anymore. Many if not most of the benched kids were not weaker players than many kids who played a full game, may be weaker than the best player on team but not compared to the 14th kid. To make this worse, both kids and parents were blind-sided.

Is it right? No. Does it happen too much? without a doubt. The girls who aren't playing are pretty much subsidizing those you are.

OP? Does your club have a policy about playing time? It might be something you should ask about prior to tryouts.

OP here. Policy is that you have to earn your playing time which I don't have a problem with. I am just wondering at this age group, is there truly 14 kids in any club who stand out so much better than the rest of the group and that they can play several games in a row without subbing. Even in college games, they play one game a day and they sub more than 2 people in a game.
Cant really compare college level play to 6th grade level play. Games are a lot shorter with a running game clock. With 22 minutes halves most are only getting in about 15 minutes of actual game play (depending on how many goals are scored and how quick the refs are to set up the next draw). If the starting middies are running the whole game I can see that as a possible issue, but most teams have two reliable midfield lines.