Originally Posted by Anonymous
Stop criticizing holdbacks. This isn’t a sports thing. Parents almost always hold their kids back because they are struggling academically, maturity-wise or socially and need a leg up. The field is a safe haven where they can build self
confidence, and overcome those other shortcomings. Even if it is against younger kids. Let them have the win. They need the boost.

Let them have a win at the expense of our on age kids?

Yes, My child is a holdback along with a few others on his team and in his class (but not all). Before holding back he and and a few others I know simply werent ready for school, werent great students, or even athletically gifted. But holding back has been a real blessing for us as a family. He needed some success and a boost of self esteem. Please drop this and let him have it.

Well, that’s great for your son and his friends! However, not every kid has the opportunity to holdback! Are you in a private school situation?

It’s very difficult for public school kids to hold back!!! Taxes won’t allow that for social/athletic “development”. It’s expensive for kids to repeat a grade by choice! Almost never can happen, unless academics is an issue and still rarely happens!

That’s another reason the holdback scenario is an unfair advantage and elitist advantage and move. It’s usually done by families who can financially afford this advantage. Most families can not offer their kids the extra year or two of self esteem boosting and time for more growth and success!

If they make it allowable for ALL kids, public and private to have an option of holding back, then I would say fine. It’s not an option . So for now, it continues to be an unfair advantage to the privileged. USA lacrosse should change the rules and make it fair for ALL kids!!!

Unfair. Elitist. Privileged.

Yep, that's me. Not.

I didn't come from money. I was career military. We chose to drive used cars, live frugally, skip vacations, modest house, etc. and sent two kids to private school, one a holdback for pre-first, the other straight through on-age.

We all make choices. If you want to make it happen, you will figure out a way. If not, just keep complaining about how life is unfair while the rest of us deal with it.

Well , then you should also realize it’s unrealistic for most everyday people to afford private schools! Should they not be able to hold their kids back for that advantage you basically admitted was an advantage? It’s unrealistic for most to go to private! Especially with the taxes they already pay!

They shouldn’t have to! Shouldn’t have to “deal with it”!! USA lacrosse should “deal with it”! Make it fair already!!! Ridiculous argument!