As an 2022 parent at Chocolatetown Shootout, many of us had the same concerns after having to show our son's birth certificates prior to the tourney. Several of our boys asked players from the Flyers during one of our games how old they were and there were several players that were 10 and 11 years old. I was not impressed with this tournament at all. If any of my three kids travel teams enter this tourney next summer, I will truly hesitate to even let them play in it.

Unfortunately, we will probably never get to the bottom of this. It just stinks that some people cannot just follow the rules and set a good example for the kids

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
Back of THE CAGE is investigating a detailed report supplied to us by a reader that strongly implies that a 2021 Boys Long Island team is knowingly playing in the wrong age group (playing down) this weekend.

BOTC has contacted the tournament in question without naming the team for the details as to how they (the tournament staff) have set their age brackets for Class of 2021 players. Once we have the age brackets, we will be able to comment further and hopefully clarify the situation.

Again, we want to underscore that BOTC is investigating the details prior to any further disclosure. However, we understand that the many parents are "in-the-know" on this situation. BOTC strongly urges those who might knowingly be on the wrong side of this debate to clarify the position if possible.

It appears the schedule has been revised and the problem fixed. Thank you Cage. And thank you to the tournament organizers, coaches, parents for doing the right thing. This way we can write it off as a simple error and not anything intentional on anyone's part and we can move on and enjoy.

Based on our review of the Chocolatetown Shootout schedules this evening, action was taken to realign the U/9 team in question into the proper age group. Based on additional information sent to us this evening, we believe that this mistake in bracketing was due in part to somewhat obscure language in the age group definitions. None the less, teams should anticipate a fine weekend of lacrosse.

While this is not an event covered by BOTC, we are pleased that we were able to be in a position of advocacy for our Long Island teams.

Avoid this tournament and save yourself time and money. I am a 2022 outlaws parent we played a Rochester Flyers "B bracket" team today that had 3-4 5th graders on it. We then stuck around and watched igloo 2022 play in the championship against the Flyers "A bracket" team and heard the flyers parents discussing that there were 5th graders on the team....did the Flyers submit rosters and back them with birth certificates. Waste of time, this tournament will let anyone in and check nothing. They actually didn't even have a registration booth. BOTC we should have listened to the silence of you not following this half-a**ed tournament. Congrats to Outlaws and Igloo for winning legitimately against some good competition. Shame on chocolate town shootout and Flyers.