Originally Posted by Anonymous
Most IAAM schools who are competitive and winning are handing out financial aid. SPSG got really good when top lacrosse players were “earning” these scholarships. McD was the same. They were the conference bottom dweller and all of the sudden got top players to go there. And to be honest, most parents don’t care about the education, fit of school or who the coach is as long as they can tell their friends that they got a scholarship. They go to where they pay the least. Plain and simple.

You have no idea what you’re sliding about. SPSG started to change when MG took over. Girls from her M&D 2021 team decided to go there to play for her. Only one girl per year at the school gets a free scholarship and it’s not always a lacrosse player. MG has built the program on hard work. Not by throwing money at girls.

They didn’t say they were giving away free scholarships, but if there is a girl MG wants at SPSG you can bet that girl is offered a generous financial aid package.

I agree with the previous poster - you are without a clue as to financial aid policy at SPSG. And the post before that - "most parents' don't care" is the most uninformed and frankly notIntelligent comment I have seen on here in a while. I have talked with literally dozens of families about their decision as to which school is best for their kids. Yes, money is a factor for many. To say they "don't care" is just ridiculous.

Some strong players who are also strong academic students receive offers which include modest merit-based aid, but nobody - really, nobody - gets money just to play sports. One girl at SPSG receives a full tuition scholarship each year - and it is a competitive essay competition, not a lacrosse tryout.

I know of cases in which SP or SPSG offered modest merit aid to a student from a family with capacity to pay full tuition (read: wealth) and the schools were told, "you have to do better - such and such school offered us a free ride."