Originally Posted by Anonymous
What would the rankings be for IAAM if you took lacrosse out and only looked at academics? Asking as a parent of 7th grader looking at all options.

The most useful answer to this question would not likely come from a parent, but from a consensus of college admissions counselors. I have talked with quite a few and will try to summarize what I have heard.

Baltimore is a bubble when it comes to Independent Schools, much like Boston and in some ways NYC. There are many to choose from, and locals will ask you where you went to school and they usually mean high school, not college. It is strange, and unlike anywhere else I have lived. When we started a family here (and neither of us is from here) we were told by many of our friends that we just have to send our kids to (name that school) because it is the place to go. It is other-worldly for those not from here.

Each of the Baltimore area private schools has a particular reputation. Some are known for strong academics, some for being more welcoming to kids who have unique interests or talents. Some local parents are set on their kids going to a certain school because of the name/cachet that comes with having a certain reputation for academics or athletics. Gee...kind of like youth lacrosse teams.

I would offer that the most important factor in the decision - by far - is fit. How well does the child fit the school? What does it feel like for the student on visit and shadow days? Who are the other kids you know from that school and what would you say are their defining characteristics? Is your child a pretty good athlete but also likes the arts? Or perhaps a gifted scholar who wants to play some sports or act in a play?

Obviously, academics are important. Each of the many private schools in Baltimore offers a quality academic experience. Around town, Gilman and Bryn Mawr seem to be the top schools for academics in most peoples' opinions. I would argue that there are a few others that are just as challenging, and the college admissions people I have talked to have validated that opinion.

Think about the characteristics of the students/families who choose to attend the school, and the characteristics of the graduates. Some schools are known for graduating students who are highly qualified academically while perhaps lacking in other areas. Others focus more on producing the well-rounded student who perhaps hasn't taken all AP classes but has done an internship or been an exchange student as well as played on several sports teams.

Some folks on this forum have disparaged the academic quality of some really good local schools. They do not speak from experience nor do they have any idea what they are talking about. Please do your research. Talk to people at the school. Talk to people who looked at the school you think is a good fit and chose another - ask them why. You can even ask for help from a consultant (this is, after all, a huge investment of time and money). There are some really knowledgeable ones in the area who help families and students decide which school is the best fit.

I offer these comments with the sincere hope that you take these ideas into consideration as you make your decision. Best of luck!