Originally Posted by Anonymous
That wasn’t what was said. Agree- it’s essential, but not a focus for clubs unfortunately. Goalies are left on their own to spend thousands each year on training. The claim that goalies are leaving for coaching can’t be true- because there is no coaching unless it’s the three teams listed above (and maybe a few outlier clubs). It’s needed for sure- just not available

To any parent of a goalie who is switching clubs, the very first question that should be asked is “What do you offer goalies.?” If they say we do not have goalie coaches at every practice then keep looking. I know people will say that Hero’s and M&D don’t have them and they are on top, but are they winning games based on goals saved or because they put all their time and effort into their field positions. The goalies at those clubs are decent but have such good defenders that they aren’t as good as lower Club goalies. You want to be a great goalie? Join the worst team.

As a parent of a goalie, Ive heard this to be factual. Can't tell you how many times we've played a top-4 team and their goalie will see 4-5 shots while mine sees 25. Plenty of goals given up and plenty of great saves too.

I must agree, though I won't say "worst team" but a solid A team that plays against the top teams, thats the key, you want your goalie to see the best shooters.

I agree to an extent with some caveats

1) you want your goalie to face the best shooters, if you arent on a team that plays in top brackets of tourneys that doesnt happen
2) the biggest diferentation for goalies is ability to lead the defense and clear effectively. If you surround yourself with poor defenders that is nearly impossible to do and goalies end up chucking the ball to midfield in hopes of finding an open girl