Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not sure this will have a positive impact on her recruiting. It could possibly done the opposite.

As a prior college lax coach (but now full time lax parent), I wouldn’t recruit this player mainly due to the fear that race issues would heavily influence the team dynamic. It’s obvious the parents are hyper sensitive about the issue and although I am not privy to their personal experience, there are too many potential recruits to take the chance on this one girl. I would move on and I am guessing many current coaches will do the same come recruiting time.
â˜ðŸ»

Except that's the homogenous safe space BS that perpetuates the glass ceiling and discrimination in the sport. If recruiting were just about winning lacrosse championships then that's one thing. But it's also about granting admissions into many of the world's most elite and selective universities, and in turn into the most coveted and important professions down the road. When coaches at "top" schools like Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Brown, Cornell, Army etc. make it a priority to perpetuate blue-eyed safe spaces even though they are rarely or never in contention for the Final Four, then they are just exercising reverse affirmative action. At many of these schools, it could not be more flagrant that the most important qualification for getting recruited is eye color, not playing ability. Heck, you're already at a disadvantage if you are white but with brown eyes. These safe space coaches are denying admissions to other more qualified applicants who have busted their jerks - whether or not they play lacrosse - and failing in their bigger responsibility to cultivate real future leaders who are capable of comprehending diverse input and competent at tackling diverse issues. The failure is especially egregious at a institution like Army, which pays for student tuition with public tax dollars and has a responsibility to reflect and resemble the best of America's melting pot, not the Mayflower.

Having served in uniform for 26 years, I will confidently tell you that all the service academies as well as the OCS/ROTC/etc. commissioning paths are looking for people of character. Nobody is rejected for eye color, skin color, etc. People are disqualified for health reasons, criminal records, etc. but not for the reasons you stated. The military is as close to a meritocracy as you will find in this country. Do problems with racial discrimination exist in the armed services? Yes, as they do in our society. Is it tolerated? Only by Commanders who are inept/corrupt and who will eventually be relieved and forced out of the service.

The military has a responsibility to attract and retain the most highly qualified personnel available. Discrimination (or reverse discrimination, as you suggest) runs counter to that responsibility.

The USMA is in the top 15% of US colleges in terms of racial diversity. 14% of the US population is black. 12% of the USMA Corps of Cadets is black.

The rest of the schools you mention have lower percentages of black students. Is that because of discrimination, or because of the choices students make as to where they apply?