Originally Posted by Anonymous
Okay on the 1 year difference but I want it to be June 1. Why should your arbitrary day on a calendar be better than mine?

The argument is for birth year. That’s not arbitrary. It’s the calendar year…literally the start of a new year. This is how every other sport aside from lacrosse handles it.

USA football uses 8/1 and I think basketball does to. There goes the birth year argument.
Soccer uses 1/1 - 12/31, as all of society does.

USA Soccer is based on the European model of soccer development. You also are usually required to not play any other sport in their top clubs and academy teams. USA soccer is over the top in their quest to compete against the European countries with 10 times less people.

Going by a 9/1 Birthday or maybe 8/1 is close to the start of majority of schools in this country and keeps all kids in their proper age grade. Common sense says that is best solution.
School has nothing to do with it, you're already against grade based. Let them make some new friends. If you're born in 2009, you play on a 2009 team. It would work.

Your argument for European soccer model is flawed, Most soccer players go onto a club team , not school to compete. Total different model. Year ( Jan ) makes sense as its the easiest to rate players and the world soccer youth plays a strict age based all over the world. So easy to determine age based on that. 2001. 2002. etc.

Most of our USA youth sports boys go onto college and play. So it makes sense to try to get as close to grade as possible ( Sept , Aug ) without the crazy holdback world becoming to much of a problem. Youth makes sense to be Sept or Aug. Common sense