Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agree with those frustrated with the amount of “older” kids playing “down” at these younger ages/grades… but I guess that’s the new normal. Regarding college rosters, a lot of PGs in that group, repeating senior year at a prep school is a lot different than repeating 8th grade, IMO.

And a word of caution for all those thinking the birth year model is the way to go.
Last I checked a kid born in January is a year older than a kid born in December of the same year. And I sure as heck don’t want to see college lax turn into what college hockey looks like (youth hockey is birth year)!
Pretty dense post here. No one cares about January vs. December or an 11 month difference in general. The issue is with the 18-24 month difference that we now see at the youth level.

Ha! Says the parent of the kid with a January birth date, hence young for his grade but would be just perfect for a birth year based system! Yup, no one cares about 11 or 12 months except for the December birth day kids in a birth year system. Just like no one cares about holdbacks except for the over competitive mom or dad who's little johnny is getting his butt kicked and they think he would be the next Brennan O'Neill but all these darn hold backs are making him look bad. And most likely the kids you think are 18-24 months older, are probably only 12 months older. FYI, my kids are not holdbacks and are age appropriate for their grade. They play against teams with holdbacks, sometimes lose against them and will hopefully be better lacrosse players because of it. "We" have aspirations of them playing college lacrosse and may even hold them back in the future (i.e. later high school years, PG year) if it makes sense (they're actually good enough to play in college and holding them back gives them the opportunity to play at their school of choice and is financially achievable, etc.). But for now, I see them playing against holdbacks as a positive.