Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What a shocker that the wealthy privileged have advantages in life.

Not a shocker. But, it shouldn’t play a role so early in youth sports. USL could take the early advantage away. Make it not an advantage to do the holdback thing in the youth years. But wait… is it wealthy privilege people running it? And… Don’t care to see that advantage changed??

IMO, holdbacks are fine in HS. Its just so dangerous at the youth and especially the MS level. That's when half the kids hit their growth spurts and the other half doesn't. It stinks as a coach. One of my kids is an above sized 7th grade reclass, for true academic reasons, and broke the leg of a smaller assuming on-age kid driving around the crease. It wasn't intentional at all. He wasnt trying to hurt the kid, he was just trying to play position defense, the kid dove and he shoved him in the side, but his foot stuck and it broke his leg. Game was ultimately cancelled because they had to helicopter the kid to a hospital that was further away. My kid felt horrible. Was really shaken by it. These more serious injuries are a legit concern at the middle school level. But they arent getting reported because there is simply no reporting mechanism. I help coach 2 MS club teams and I've seen it much more often in the past 10 years than I ever saw when I played 30 years ago. Not a good trend.