Originally Posted by Anonymous
Wow! YJB Goalie committed to Stanford, While YJA Goalie commits to UMass. Great for both, but further justifies the frustration with the YJ teams at this age group. Something strange

Duh. Maybe has to do with grades? And, what the players want to go to school for, logistics , etc . Not everyone is cut out for Stanford! Or, maybe not everyone wants to go to Stanford, even with good grades. To each their own, congrats to both and good luck!!

Plus UMass is actually a good school and lacrosse program! UMass used to offer some automatic merit money to out of state students above a certain test score/GPA threshold. That stacked with athletic money can make it very attractive financially. Sheesh, it's not like one committed to Stanford and the other committed to one of the lowest ranked D1 programs at a school hardly anyone has heard of.
But at the end of the day, does it matter if someone committed to "one of the lowest ranked D1 programs at a school hardly anyone has heard of"? What a comment!!! NO ONE has any idea of what happens behind closed doors when they make their decisions. There are MANY factors that go in to making THEIR decision. Money, playing time, destination of school, etc. I'm so over reading that players have to go to a "top" school for it to mean anything. The fact that these girls are playing D1 ("top" or "lowest") is a accomplishment in itself. Period. Get over yourself and YOUR expectations

The context of my comment was in regard to UMass Amherst, which some parents would turn their noses up to because it's not an elite private, not top 10 lacrosse, and so on. I now understand the school that was referred to is UMass Lowell, which is not as competitive of a lacrosse program as Stanford, but I agree that no one knows what goes into each player's decision and assumptions should not be made. I know several players who chose schools for the right reasons that were not as "impressive" as others that made offers.