Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hey Johny
What's up Dad
Umm, You're going to be going to the same grade next year and not with your friends.
But dad why. I want to stay with my friends and school and everything I know. Why. I don't want to.
Because you're not as good at lacrosse as mom and I need you to be to impress our friends
I often do wonder how that conversation goes. Feel bad for these kids who are told in middle school they are being held back, even worse for the ones that remain in the same school and are held back. Those parents are the worst, the ones whose kids don’t agree with the decision.

Hey Johny
What's up Dad
Umm, You're going to be going to the same grade next year and not with your friends.
But dad why. I want to stay with my friends and school and everything I know. Why. I don't want to.
Because you're not as good at lacrosse as mom and I need you to be to impress our friends

Hey Dad
What's up Johnny
Thank you for being successful so you could send me to private school and I can not only make new friends but also keep my local friends because they don't care that I am a hold back.
No problem son
Also, I just got into an (Fill in blank Ivy league or top 25 academic school regardless if D1 or DIII) because of lacrosse whereas before I would not have gotten into the school.
Wow that's great son but I am sure when you are applying for a job and are older people will say you are a holdback.
No dad, that will never happen but one day there might be be jealous parents commenting in a message forum that will have zero impact on my life after I receive my amazing education and play lacrosse in college.
Father and son laughing together

You are not dealing with a bunch of slowpoke holdbacks here! That might work for you and Mrs slowpoke holdback mom to help sleep at night. Go back to 7th grade a few more years like your kid and try again.