Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do teams really get better. I don’t think so…I believe players get better and that’s how teams improve, more so B than A. The top teams improve by bringing in out of state kids and the B teams improve by getting athletes that develop. The B teams also decline generally because they are not competitive and/or the coaches do the minimum. So was can stop saying who got better, just be concerned your team didn’t get worse, which is definitely the case for a few B teams.

You are pretty correct on the points-raised about. B teams are difficult to keep together, to get year over year improvement because there are a handful of kids on each team striving to get on an A team and chase the shiny new opportunity at tryouts every year, at least on Long Island. Kids think they are better than they are and parents don’t see the real situation. Facts:

12.5 scholarships max per Div 1 team. Now distributed over 50+ kids due to COVID-19 holdbacks.

Long Island can’t be considered the hotbed anymore. Look at every top 25 div 1 roster. Used to be at least half were from LI. Now maybe 1/4 is typical. Going to get even smaller as programs develop in TX, FL, CA.

Unless your son hasn’t hit puberty, and is a skilled player with speed, breaking into the top teams is a massive long shot. So be careful with the sales pitch from new programs, offering a B team spot with a look next year for the A team.

B team kids do play in college, on a D3 team. Great lacrosse, just different size, speed, commitment.
Sir or Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave this forum. Your post makes way too much sense.